PizzeRizzo announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios - Was: Rumor: Pizza Planet/Mama Melrose closing?

doctornick

Where do you get that it WON'T be a Muppet-themed restaurant? Sure it will still be a Pizza QS, but it can easily be themed to The Muppets. It seems obvious it won't be coming back as Pizza Planet and Muppets is just across the way... a Muppet theme is very possible.

Yeah, it's being closed for a long time. I feel like it' would be pretty surprising if the restaurant re-opens with the same theme.

flyerjab

Where do you get that it WON'T be a Muppet-themed restaurant? Sure it will still be a Pizza QS, but it can easily be themed to The Muppets. It seems obvious it won't be coming back as Pizza Planet and Muppets is just across the way... a Muppet theme is very possible.

I thought I read that somewhere it was remaining a Pizza Planet. Maybe with all of the changes going on I am losing my mind a bit. I hope you are correct and I am mistaken.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
A permit was filed today for Pizza Planet (it's called the Muppet B Complex in the permit). Looks like a pretty significant project. The general contractor is Barton Malow which was one of the two contractors for the Fantasyland Expansion, and the permit also lists an architect, Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, and Fire contractors. Expiration date is November 30, 2017.

Capture.JPG

wdwgreek

That would make sense.
With a title like Muppet B and a window to 2017, it gives them flexibility on the length and depth of the project? I have not taken zoning law yet, so I'm still a novice at reading zoning applications and construction permits, but if I understand correctly these are the area's were permits have been filed for work. I assume architect are only retained if there will be structural changes, so can we hope for installation of Muppet features as part of the architect's duty or would an architect just indicate some sort of structural change? Or is there just or simply an architect supervisor on all the referbs regardless of the content.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
With a title like Muppet B and a window to 2017, it gives them flexibility on the length and depth of the project? I have not taken zoning law yet, so I'm still a novice at reading zoning applications and construction permits, but if I understand correctly these are the area's were permits have been filed for work. I assume architect are only retained if there will be structural changes, so can we hope for installation of Muppet features as part of the architect's duty or would an architect just indicate some sort of structural change? Or is there just or simply an architect supervisor on all the referbs regardless of the content.

Someone with more knowledge on the subject can comment on the architect part, but as for the expiration date, these are notices of commencement so the expiration date is the date by which Disney has to pay the contractor. When a specific expiration date is put on the permit, the project usually comes close to the date, they generally don't pad these dates.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I looked into the architect on this project. The firm is HHCP which has done a lot of interesting project including a bunch of themed entertainment projects. For Disney they designed the American Adventure pavilion in Epcot. They also did the master plan for the Palm Jumeirah in the United Arab Emirates:

Capture.JPG

Based on his LinkedIn profile, the architect, Damian Serrano, had some involvement with the Magic Kingdom hub project.

doctornick

Bit late to the conversation-is there anything that leads to the rumour of Swedish Chef takeover?

It is reportedly staying as a Pizza place, so probably not a Swedish Chef theme. However, there was a previously considered restaurant theme of "Gonzo's Pandemonium Pizza Parlor" that might fit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom