Rumor or Conspiracy Theory - Disney America / Sweet Briar College's Closing

Nubs70

Even museums and interpretive centers cannot offer fully nuanced accounts.
I happened to stop in at Appomattox Courthouse while on business near Amherst. The story behind Lee and his actions at the surrender was fascinating. There is much about the symbolism that is not taught. For example, the fact he was at the surrender in the first place and why he is not wearing CSA insignia in his portraits.

lazyboy97o

I happened to stop in at Appomattox Courthouse while on business near Amherst. The story behind Lee and his actions at the surrender was fascinating. There is much about the symbolism that is not taught. For example, the fact he was at the surrender in the first place and why he is not wearing CSA insignia in his portraits.
That information is not exclusive property of the museum. Museums are a form of experience-based attraction, just like theme parks. That is why TEA has AECOM estimate theme park and museum attendance.

Jackobark2112

There does seem to be some elements of truth here. I'm still trying to nail down some more info. It does seem that this whole thing is more than speculation. I live less than 20 mins from sweetbriar and the community is really getting behind this. No one that is "in the know" is denying it. I hope to have more info soon and be able to give a more detailed post.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
The Disney America thing was an Eisner pet project. It is doubtful they will every go back to this. How many of these rumors pop up every year? There is always some posting about an internet rumor of Disney coming to Texas, Midwest or Mid Atlantic area. Heck Disney didn't even follow through of the resort hotel they were planning to build at the National Harbor - http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...851714a-0260-11e2-8102-ebee9c66e190_blog.html

flynnibus

Premium Member
Comical...

Sweet Briar closing is obviously a real ugly topic.. especially for those directly impacted... but it's also a contentious topic happening in the era of rampant social media. Meaning.. the stupid are readily enlisted to propagate unsubstantiated things or simply incredibly skewed stupidity or wishful thinking. The topic has got so much facebook and blog activity attached to it you'd think the Kardashians were alumni.

I feel for the alumni who are losing their alma mater - I scroll right past all the drama posts

punkabella

Original Poster
Comical...

Sweet Briar closing is obviously a real ugly topic.. especially for those directly impacted...
I feel for the alumni who are losing their alma mater - I scroll right past all the drama posts

I completely agree with these sentiments. I, too, went to a private all women's college and feel for my childhood friends who are alumnae. They have really done a great job of fighting an earnest fight to keep SBC open. I hope they are eventually successful. I'm definitely watching how it all plays out.

Anyone can write a blog post that links two unlikely topic together with a far fetched theory or rumor. I've never read that blog before nor does the blog interest me. It does interest me as it connects two topics I'm passionate about together.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Being a local... I get lots of SBC content in my feed... as I have several friends who are passionate alumni... but man drama really brings out the mental :(

A recent favorite... headline was something like "SBC charges $1500 to allow student to graduate". The story was that the school wasn't going to let someone graduate... BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T PAY THEIR PAST BILL. Yet, the author and the distributors were making the school out to be the scrooge because the kid's mom thought they should be able to walk away from their $1,500 debt because the school was closing in the future.

punkabella

Original Poster
Being a local... I get lots of SBC content in my feed... as I have several friends who are passionate alumni... but man drama really brings out the mental :(

A recent favorite... headline was something like "SBC charges $1500 to allow student to graduate". The story was that the school wasn't going to let someone graduate... BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T PAY THEIR PAST BILL. Yet, the author and the distributors were making the school out to be the scrooge because the kid's mom thought they should be able to walk away from their $1,500 debt because the school was closing in the future.
ermmm.. Even in the school system I work in, we won't let student's walk if they have a have an outstanding debt unless there are extenuating circumstances. I'm pretty sure colleges would be the same way. I think people blow it out of proportion knowing there are issues with the college continuing that is making the crazies come out of the woodwork.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom