Rumor or Conspiracy Theory - Disney America / Sweet Briar College's Closing

punkabella

Original Poster
I'm in Virginia, so I was dismayed when I was a high school student that the proposed Disney America was shot down.

So here we are some 20 odd years later and one of our state's all women colleges, Sweet Briar College, may be closing very soon. There is speculation that the land that SBC sits on may be a target of Disney. This blog post has been going around some of my friend's facebook postings lately and wanted to hear what some of you that are in the know thinks of it.. or doesn't think of it to be honest.

I love a good conspiracy theory. Enjoy the post here.

Goofywilliam

I love the idea of Disney America and it would be amazing for Virginias tourism. As amazing as this news is, I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic! Hopefully one day I will have a disney park less than two hours from my house!

PhotoDave219

I'm going to wave the "BullCrap" Flag proudly.... considering I just drove past what would have been Disney's America. There's a Wal-Mart 2 miles from there now. McMansions. Strip Malls.

First and foremost, Sweet Briar College's closing was Blocked by the Virginia Supreme Court. There's a massive legal fight going on over whether it can close or not. Disney would stay far away from that.

Second.... Its in a horrible location. Smack-dab in the middle of Appalachian snow country, they suggest Disney would want to put a theme park? Bwaahahahahaha. No. Also, there's no infrastructure - No interstates near Amherst, no airports, NOTHING whatsoever. You can't get people there. Its in the middle of NOWHERE.

Third.... our usual network of spies haven't hinted at anything. (Tho I passed it on to one of mine) The blog post is citing 20 year old articles about Disney wanting to keep the project alive, but that was 20 years ago.

So I would be utterly shocked beyond believe if there was any truth to this whatsoever.

punkabella

Original Poster
I could understand them doing it near Williamsburg when that was a rumor, but I completely agree about the location in Virginia. It's as far fetched to think about as buying swamp land.

Nubs70

Unlike the Florida swamps, there is a tad bit of history in the area. A mouse based installation in the,area would be highly dustespectful.

Interesting aspect of the closure of SBC was that the faculty was planning on raiding the endowments at closure.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Unlike the Florida swamps, there is a tad bit of history in the area. A mouse based installation in the,area would be highly dustespectful.

Interesting aspect of the closure of SBC was that the faculty was planning on raiding the endowments at closure.

All the important locations have protected status by National or State or Local government. They are tourist attractions in one way or another. Disney (or any other company) wouldn't be able to touch those locations. There are plenty of other companies that have built on the area that Disney wanted to use, they have a water park, Disney no! Water Park Yes! It's crazy.

lazyboy97o

Disney was worse than the Walmart?

Nubs70

All the important locations have protected status by National or State or Local government. They are tourist attractions in one way or another. Disney (or any other company) wouldn't be able to touch those locations. There are plenty of other companies that have built on the area that Disney wanted to use, they have a water park, Disney no! Water Park Yes! It's crazy.
A huge mouse installation would be tacky for the region not just the local area. It would be far better that people spend some time at Appomattox Courthouse and learn the real story and nuances of the history that happened there.

ItlngrlBella

Just curious why Sweet Briar is closing? Was it lagging enrollment? Small liberal arts colleges (especially non-coed) are slowly becoming an endangered species.

lazyboy97o

A huge mouse installation would be tacky for the region not just the local area. It would be far better that people spend some time at Appomattox Courthouse and learn the real story and nuances of the history that happened there.
Even museums and interpretive centers cannot offer fully nuanced accounts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom