Rumor on changes to Disney Dining Plan

Dad 2 M & M

For years now I have been converting my unused TS credits into three snacks each before I board DME. I thought that was a common thing. I usually go to my hotels QS restaurant and get rice krispie treats or baked goods for home.

You have always been able to convert QS to snacks if you had the right CM. All you had to do was ask vey nicely :)

Agree with both of you.

We've never had any problem getting a CM to let us count two or three "snack" items as a QS credit. I think Disney is just formalizing what people have been doing informally for some time now.
Same here!!

We would bring bags of treats home with extra credits....back in the day when we actually were on the DP

Little miffed this is coming out as new news; recently there was "news" of resort mug changes that had been in place for a minute....

Last edited:

ibisti

We left the "world" today and the cashier at our resort offered us the 3 snack credits for a QS credit. We had 10QS remaining so loaded up on candy for gift bags for our daughters up coming birthday party. The cashier was laughing at our 30 lollipops and pez!! $123 in candy!! So for us it was a great exchange as we were only 30mins from going to the airport and we're going to waste the credits. I will add we had free dining.

dreamscometrue

Agree with both of you.

We've never had any problem getting a CM to let us count two or three "snack" items as a QS credit. I think Disney is just formalizing what people have been doing informally for some time now.

Please see my post (#35) in this thread lol. :)

DVCPluto

I always have the DDP, as I like to prepay and have that part of the cost out of the way. I think this year was the first year we had anything leftover, and it was 2 QS credits. We used them at Pepper Market before boarding the DME.

THIS is why I love the DDP (and I know I'm in the minority). The "prepay for your meals" is key for my sanity/enjoyment of my meals since DH is the type who will always stress over money spent. Regardless if we're gazillionaires or on a strict budget -it's spending money and something snaps in that brain of his. If I can let him fret over it at home when we pay for our DDP, get over it at home, and then enjoy the meal at WDW, then that's what I'm doing every time.

And I like the changes - especially trading out that nasty chocolate cake for something without sugar. Or skipping a drink and getting another snack since I carry a water bottle everywhere anyway. More flexibility is nice.

DC0703

I still think the DDP is a waste of money (unless you really like steak and and want it for every meal).

That said, at least this is a positive change. Particularly if you have a nut allergy like myself. About 95% of the desserts in WDW have a nut allergy warning attached to them, making it frustrating when you get little to no options for the included dessert. Now at least you could choose a soup or salad.

Still, would probably go out of pocket for future trips. That way you get the most options. :)

Minthorne

We left the "world" today and the cashier at our resort offered us the 3 snack credits for a QS credit. We had 10QS remaining so loaded up on candy for gift bags for our daughters up coming birthday party. The cashier was laughing at our 30 lollipops and pez!! $123 in candy!! So for us it was a great exchange as we were only 30mins from going to the airport and we're going to waste the credits. I will add we had free dining.

Good thing it was free dining - 10 QS left would be a lot to prepay for overpriced candy!

Disnee4Me

Getting free dining this December and this is our first time trying it ... DH was always against it ... wished they'd give you the option of appetizer OR dessert with TS, as he likes appetizers and I LOVE me my dessert!!

Deranged Hermit

Getting free dining this December and this is our first time trying it ... DH was always against it ... wished they'd give you the option of appetizer OR dessert with TS, as he likes appetizers and I LOVE me my dessert!!
Completely agree. I could do without dessert most of the time, but I'd love some shrimp cocktail, nachos or calamari every now and than.

natolij02

Did I read correctly that the kids QS can be used on an adult QS meal? If so my daughter will be happy since she gets sick of the kids choices at QS all the time.

Pete256

I see a lot of folks who rip the DDP - every family is different and what works for some, does not work for others. First, I like having it all paid for up front so I don't get return trip sticker shock - Also, Dinner especially is a big deal when we are on vacation. Some people could care less. The selling point to get me to go to Disney in the first place was good dining - My uneducated impression a few years ago was that I would be eating fast food for a week - which I would find miserable. We pay for the Deluxe Plan and use all of it. We also are the people who hit the parks at rope drop and wrap up by 3:00 PM and go back to the resort and swim; then eat dinner at 7:00 PM and sometimes hit whatever park has later hours or just hang out on the Boardwalk after dinner. So, with the morning being a bit rushed we eat a healthy snack early (like between 6:30AM - 7:00) and a table service lunch in park at 11:30AM - 12:00.

For Dinner we double up and eat at a signature dining restaurant most of the nights - Narcoosees, Artist Point, Yachtmans Steakhouse, Cali Grill - A few other nights we will hit a good single credit table service place in EPCOT as we stay at the Yacht Club.

So what I DONT understand is the interchangeability of the adult and child credits on the dining plan - sounds like a kid gets to order off the adult menu even with paying the child price for the Deluxe which is still under $30 a day. In reality, MOST waiters in signature places, if you are nice and ask, have given an adult appetizer or entrée to an older kid if they wanted it. There have been a few who don't, but then again they are just enforcing the rules. I am not a big dessert eater so I more than welcome being able to order a salad or soup.

Hockey89

I see a lot of folks who rip the DDP - every family is different and what works for some, does not work for others. First, I like having it all paid for up front so I don't get return trip sticker shock - Also, Dinner especially is a big deal when we are on vacation. Some people could care less. The selling point to get me to go to Disney in the first place was good dining - My uneducated impression a few years ago was that I would be eating fast food for a week - which I would find miserable. We pay for the Deluxe Plan and use all of it. We also are the people who hit the parks at rope drop and wrap up by 3:00 PM and go back to the resort and swim; then eat dinner at 7:00 PM and sometimes hit whatever park has later hours or just hang out on the Boardwalk after dinner. So, with the morning being a bit rushed we eat a healthy snack early (like between 6:30AM - 7:00) and a table service lunch in park at 11:30AM - 12:00.

For Dinner we double up and eat at a signature dining restaurant most of the nights - Narcoosees, Artist Point, Yachtmans Steakhouse, Cali Grill - A few other nights we will hit a good single credit table service place in EPCOT as we stay at the Yacht Club.

So what I DONT understand is the interchangeability of the adult and child credits on the dining plan - sounds like a kid gets to order off the adult menu even with paying the child price for the Deluxe which is still under $30 a day. In reality, MOST waiters in signature places, if you are nice and ask, have given an adult appetizer or entrée to an older kid if they wanted it. There have been a few who don't, but then again they are just enforcing the rules. I am not a big dessert eater so I more than welcome being able to order a salad or soup.
I only rip the plan because it slows down service at times, increase prices, and lowers standards.... This has happened to many places....

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
So the "official" news posted by @wdwmagic includes (amongst others -- I'm only copying the ones I had comments on) the following "changes"

Snacks
The snack entitlement has been updated to now include:
  • All quick service menu side dishes.
  • At breakfast, the following are considered snacks:
    Cereal with milk (including Create Your Own)
    French toast sticks
    Oatmeal or quinoa (including Create Your Own)
    Grits
    Side of bacon
    Side of sausage
    Side of eggs
    Side of potatoes
    Biscuits and gravy
    Hard-boiled eggs
Table Service Restaurants
  • There is no longer a restriction on the number of entitlements that can be used at a meal. Eg. A group of 2 guests on the Disney Dining Plan could use 1 additional entitlement for a guest in that party - making a total of 3 entitlements used for the group of 3 diners.
  • At some locations, a dessert may be substituted for a side salad, soup or fruit plate if available.
Quick Service Restaurants
  • A dessert or beverage from the Quick Service Meal entitlement can be substituted for any snack item on the menu within the same order.
  • A Quick Service Meal can be substituted for 3 snack eligible items within the same order.
  • At Quick Service locations, child meal entitlements can be used for an adult meal.

Allowing all side dishes to be snacks at QS locations is great. I was always baffled by the selections that were and weren't available. Sometimes, one side dish wasn't available as a snack even though another priced exactly the same was.

The addition to the breakfast items available as snacks would mean, for me, that my family of four could easily eat breakfast with 1 snack each or maybe 1 QS meal and 3 snacks.

The TS change to no longer restrict the number of entitlements that can be used effectively removes any limitation of using credits to only the people on the plan. There was previously no way to really enforce, but this change makes "official" policy that you can use the meal credits for guests, friends, etc. I find that somewhat surprising.

And for TS you can get a salad or soup instead of a dessert. Not quite "bringing back the appetizer", but it's a start. My wife and I would almost choose one salad and one dessert to share, instead of two desserts, if given this choice.

Allowing you to pick a side item instead of a beverage at QS is also something I'd love. Half the time, I prefer to drink tap water with my QS meal, so the drink is a waste. Let me grab a side item instead, and I can now use that item to feed my five year old, instead of wasting another meal credit.

Substituting 3 snacks for a QS meal might be useful at times, particularly if I have credits left at the end, but also when my kid doesn't want a burger and a cupcake, but would like chili fries and corn on the cob.

I'm confused by the note about QS child now being able to be used for adult meals. That's been the case forever, since the system doesn't differentiate. And cast members haven't been shy about telling people that.

Pete256

I only rip the plan because it slows down service at times, increase prices, and lowers standards.... This has happened to many places....

Not sure how it "Slows Service" and lowers standards....I don't see how you connect those dots...So much is dependent upon who you hire at the restaurant to staff it and what quality of food do you buy to serve - In fact, it has sped up service time, at least with us because we pretty much know what we are going to order - Other than one instance at Yachtmans Steakhouse where we had a waiter who just had too many tables for a period, we have had excellence service at every signature dining establishment and very good service at 1 credit places. Service times are slowed by guests who have decision making disorder, large groups with very picky eaters, or folks who have no idea of what anything is on the menu and need every dish explained to them, not because our wristband has to be scanned and then we are told how many credits will be deducted - which takes all of 6 seconds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom