RUMOR: Disney Buying Hasbro?

Ignohippo

This would make a lot of sense from a merchandising perspective. Disney could now cut out the middle man and produce all of their own toys, as well as owning the rights to all of the properties that Hasbro owns.

Unfortunately, for media all of their properties are already spoken for. The movie rights are almost universally owned by Paramount, theme park rights are owned by Universal/Comcast and the tv rights are locked up with Discover and The Hub channel.

This would be a nightmare. It would be far worse than the Marvel deal, it'd be like Spider-man in that they would basically just collect a check and wouldn't really be able to control anything. I would imagine Hasbro would be worth quite a bit as well.

This sounds like someone wanting to create an Internet rumor more than something that could actually happen.

John

I completely agree, but sadly, what is the point of maintaining those business practices when we have diluted product in the form of direct to video sequels. For that matter, disney seems to be perfectly happy with stamping its name on any old product that is made in china, never mind the quality. This has been going on for quite some time. Not to say that disney doesn't still make quality goods, products and content, it's just that those get lessened when seen next to the other masses.

Exactly.....Disney's brand is no longer about being qaulity. Its about being a money maker. Yes it has been going on for sometime, but lately it has been accelerated. As I said this maybe the lagacy that Iger wants to leave. He isnt worried about what you and I think... It's what wallstreet thinks of him. I think he has other asperations. When he leaves Disney he isnt going to settle in Golden Oak. He has bigger plans. His legacy is going to be that he left Disney as a huge money maker. What he parlays that into is anybodys guess. But Disney is a stepping stone for him. He dosnt care what the Disney brand was or what it is comming to be. I would bet money that he dosnt even have a picture of Walt in his office.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Seriously, it's gonna be world domination, soon.

Are people here not familiar with true conglomerates? This isn't much really..

Go back and check out companies like GE... Kraft... Unilever.. etc. In the past decade a lot have divested their non-essential stuff.. but people need to be a bit more aware that this type of 'collect the revenues of your adopted children' business model isn't new and is quite common. It's not even really about adjacent or complementary industries - just about owning healthy ones.

Magenta Panther

Exactly.....Disney's brand is no longer about being qaulity. Its about being a money maker. Yes it has been going on for sometime, but lately it has been accelerated. As I said this maybe the lagacy that Iger wants to leave. He isnt worried about what you and I think... It's what wallstreet thinks of him. I think he has other asperations. When he leaves Disney he isnt going to settle in Golden Oak. He has bigger plans. His legacy is going to be that he left Disney as a huge money maker. What he parlays that into is anybodys guess. But Disney is a stepping stone for him. He dosnt care what the Disney brand was or what it is comming to be. I would bet money that he dosnt even have a picture of Walt in his office.

If he does, he probably throws darts at it. :(

flynnibus

Premium Member
Pixar and Lucasfilm I understand and approve of but I have to admit I am still completely baffled by the Marvel acquisition 3 years after the fact. When you look at it logically it does not make much sense

The logic is for making it work is exactly the same as the Lucas aquistion. The prospect of a portfolio of mega blockbuster films. They are paying out the nose to corner franchises they think present 'fool-proof' box office busters. All the other stuff that comes along with it is just gravy that can be milked within their consumer division and further down.. theme parks.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Exactly.....Disney's brand is no longer about being qaulity. Its about being a money maker. Yes it has been going on for sometime, but lately it has been accelerated. As I said this maybe the lagacy that Iger wants to leave. He isnt worried about what you and I think... It's what wallstreet thinks of him. I think he has other asperations. When he leaves Disney he isnt going to settle in Golden Oak. He has bigger plans. His legacy is going to be that he left Disney as a huge money maker. What he parlays that into is anybodys guess. But Disney is a stepping stone for him. He dosnt care what the Disney brand was or what it is comming to be.

I would bet money that he dosnt even have a picture of Walt in his office.

Smile,that last line gave me a good laugh. I'd be surprised if he did have Walt in his Office. While he has done some real good things I'm not a believer that he is a fan of the Mouse or Walt. It is a job, a career. WDW and DL are likely to frivolous for him to invest any emotion in. Now with the kind of expenditures he has made, $$ available to fix up the parks? I do wonder.

Your post fits the what Iger told us matter a factly. He doesn't want Disney to stay and live in the past more move forward. I just didn't foresee the dudes way of moving forward being a buyout spree. It is no longer about Disney's imagination or creation, it is about buying several movie companies, toys, comic rights, muppets anything someone other than Disney has had the imagination to create then buy it.

Magenta Panther

Smile,that last line gave me a good laugh. I'd be surprised if he did have Walt in his Office. While he has done some real good things I'm not a believer that he is a fan of the Mouse or Walt. It is a job, a career. WDW and DL are likely to frivolous for him to invest any emotion in. Now with the kind of expenditures he has made, $$ available to fix up the parks? I do wonder.

Your post fits the what Iger told us matter a factly. He doesn't want Disney to stay and live in the past more move forward. I just didn't foresee the dudes way of moving forward being a buyout spree. It is no longer about Disney's imagination or creation, it is about buying several movie companies, toys, comic rights, muppets anything someone other than Disney has had the imagination to create then buy it.

Which is pretty much what I've been saying for months.

John

Which is pretty much what I've been saying for months.

Yes you have....me, I wouldnt mind it if Disney bought these properties and took them and made them in the Disney image....or atleast what it used to be. Take something and turn it into something of quality. If we have forgotten there used to be an old sayin" that went something like...."Done like only Disney could do" Now not so much. Because everything has been dumbed down The scale has slid. Yes Disney is a notch above...but what are you compareing it too. Iger is no longer building a brand but simply taking advantage of the brand. To create is to build.

WDW1974

This is a rumour that I was discussing over the weekend and, honestly, now MTV is talking about it.
I don't even know what to think after Disney's purchase of Marvel and LucasFilm (pending governmental approval) and rights deal for Avatar ...

If Iger is looking to leave Disney with all sorts of new 'parts' then he'll be very successful at that ...

At creating new IP or maximizing what Disney already had in the portfolio ... not so much.

WED99

I'm not a business guy. How does Disney have the money to make two multi-billion dollar purchases in the span of a couple weeks?
they make 32 billion a year, probably more this year thanks to Avengers. It's a smart business move in my opinion. Hasbro has been successful enough to grow for years, it will only make money. But then again, I didn't study business ;)

WED99

That's not even remotely accurate. Their 2011 Financial Report states a Net Income of 4.8 billion. I'm guessing they are issuing more stock and going into more debt. But I can't believe that the Board of Directors is happy with a CEO on his way out suddenly deciding to let the company's spending run amok.
according to wikipedia their 2011 revenue was 40.893 billion

WDW1974

Don't assume this is going to happen ... but (sadly) not assume that it isn't.

Sounds like any blue alien sex kittens you know?

SirNim

...THIS one...would...if it came to fruition...make me sick...to my stomach...for a variety of personal reasons...which I would not feel at liberty to dicuss...on a public forum...such as this...yeah... ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom