Rope-dropping HS the same day as "early morning magic" -- what should we expect?

Weather_Lady

WDW recently scheduled "early morning magic" (the costs-extra offering, not to be confused with EMH) on our HS day. Naturally, we had no forewarning when we made our ADRs and planned which parks to visit on which days, so this is throwing a bit of a wrench in our touring plan for HS, which had us splitting up at rope drop, half of the group heading straight to RnR and the other [weaker;)] half straight to TSMM. (We have another TSMM FP+ for later in the day, exhausting our Tier 1 allotment. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't change that to an RnR FP+ if possible, and try our luck at TSMM in standby instead...)

What kind of crowds and wait times should we expect at TSMM and at RnR, at the 9am rope drop, with EMM starting at 7:45am? (I don't think RnR is technically part of the EMM lineup, but that means that there will be a few hundred people already inside the park at ropedrop who've already gotten their TSMM fix and will be headed down Sunset Boulevard far ahead of us to line up -- I imagine they'll be adding to our wait times there, while the EMMers still at TSMM will be clogging up the lines there -- a "double whammy" for sure.) I had read that "early morning magic" was fairly unpopular, especially at HS, but it doesn't take a big crowd to create an untenable wait, especially at RnR.

If you've visited HS at rope drop an an EMM day, I'd really appreciate your observations. Will the EMM folks have driven wait times way up before we even cross the park's threshold, or will the effect on our wait times be negligible?

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
I'm replying to answer my own question, LOL!

After the resounding noise of crickets that greeted my post, I e-mailed the folks over at touringplans to find out whether their estimates took "Early Morning Magic" into account on the relevant mornings. I received this prompt reply this morning:

Our numbers do take Early Morning Magic into account, we are just having trouble with our labeling system, so they are not showing up next to the correct calendar day. So far, these days have had no measurable impact on crowds. A few hundred people in the park makes a slight difference, but spread over several rides that can handle 1,000 people or more per hour, you would only be looking at a fraction of a minute per attraction.

Thank you,
Brian McNichols

--
Blog Manager, Writer, Analyst
TouringPlans.com

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom