Rope Drop Help

GeoDonJac34

I am looking for some help or strategies for rope drop. We have been to WDW several times, usually for a week during less crowded times, but for this trip we are going for five nights arriving July 9. It will be just me and my son who will turn 18 the day we arrive. We want to maximize our park time for this trip and I am looking for a few tips. Some questions I have is do you really have to arrive quite a bit before the parks open, and do you book your fastpasses for the park opening? If I book a fast pass for the first hour, but do stand by for a popular ride, will I risk missing my fast pass window?

BigRedDad

In order to maximize time, get FPs for the big rides later in the day. When people flock to the big rides, you go to the others. While people flock to 7DMT, Space Mtn, go the other routes. Don't go on the long rides early, save those for later. If you can hit PP right at opening, do it. Then do the rest of FL except 7DMT (FP it for later).

This is how we usually tackle MK, other parks are similar. We decide on which side of the park we are going to do: Left or Right.
MK (Right): FP 7DMT, Space Mtn, and Splash Mtn
If we are near the front, hit PP, then Pooh, Ariel's grotto, Goofy Barnstormer (usually 2-3x), Dumbo, Teacups, Buzz, and then use Space Mtn FP. If done right, this can be done in 1.5 hours. Check wait times at PotC and Splash. If they are not insane, head over to that side of the park. Do BTMRR. Now, it is time for the LONG rides. These are the rides that soak up time. Use FP for Splash Mtn, wait for PotC, and then HM. Hit IASW, Philharmagic, Carousel, and FP for 7DMT. With all of that done, it is about 1PM. 90% of the rides have been completed.

Yes, it is kind of commando style, but it serves a purpose. I am not in 1-2 hour lines (nothing at WDW is worth that much of a wait), most everything we want to do is complete, and we can either stay for other things or head back to the resort to enjoy the pool and activities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

correcaminos

I'm actually of the other camp, do not do the FP+ for later in the day especially at MK when you can add more FP once you use your three. If you wait, you'll be stuck with less options as the day goes on.

We like to get there a little early - not hugely but it really doesn't start to pick up until about an hour or so after opening no matter what. We have FP starting at 9 am, but do not necessarily do it first. For MK, head left and do Adventureland. If a FP+ you have scheduled is short, switch it to something else and do standby. Rides like Jungle Cruise is 5 minutes at opening but within a short time it will jump to 30-40 mins. Same with BTM and Splash. 7DMT is always insane but can be done at rope drop, but waiting on that puts you in a bad place in the park IMO first thing. That is one I would do FP+ for. Same with Peter Pan if you want to ride it.

We can easily get a bunch of rides in by 10 am without any sweat or being super commando - which we are not commando at all. Summer is not as insane as spring break and we've done both using that idea for MK.

For Epcot pick TT or FEA for a FP and do rope drop at Soarin' If you want all 3, do rope drop at Soarin' FP for FEA and then TT as single rider line. My son and I are often in the same car. Changing FP here is the hardest IMO.

AK will be all about Pandora. Get a FP for one of them. The Na'vi River journey seems to have a higher capacity so either wait on a FP for it after you've used your 3 or do it at rope drop and have the Flight as your FP in that area. The rest aren't too bad and we've had decent luck changing FP there.

DHS has the least with single riders you can do a little more. I don't have much of a 'strategy' for this park as we spend a few hours and leave.

Upvote 0

contrariwise

Except for a very sought after ride (one where the lines will be bad any time of day), I would not book a FP before noon. The reason is that the stand-by lines for most everything else will be reasonable up until that point. So we ride stand-by in the morning to take advantage of the short lines. Then when things start getting grid-locked, you can go do your FPs. On the last trip, we booked the FPs starting after lunch and that seemed to work well.

Upvote 0

disneygeek90

Oh I forgot to say there is a grace window for FP+ about 5 minutes before and 10 minutes after it will still let you in. I have never missed a FP waiting for a ride though :)
It's actually 5 mins before and 15 mins after, which I have had to use all to my full advantage a couple times.

As far as MK goes, line up all your fastpasses first thing (9,10,11) and by 11 when you scan your last FP, you will already be eligible for another when so many are just now getting into the park. Standby early any ride you don't have a FP for that can get long.

i.e. you have a FP for Mine Train, HM, BTM (9,10,11) - Go to space mountain first thing and get that over with, then head to Mine Train. I also like to visualize where the rides are to eliminate crossing back and forth as much as possible. Remember, your hour window is actually an hour and 20.

Upvote 0

correcaminos

It's actually 5 mins before and 15 mins after, which I have had to use all to my full advantage a couple times.

As far as MK goes, line up all your fastpasses first thing (9,10,11) and by 11 when you scan your last FP, you will already be eligible for another when so many are just now getting into the park. Standby early any ride you don't have a FP for that can get long.

i.e. you have a FP for Mine Train, HM, BTM (9,10,11) - Go to space mountain first thing and get that over with, then head to Mine Train. I also like to visualize where the rides are to eliminate crossing back and forth as much as possible. Remember, your hour window is actually an hour and 20.
Thank you! I was told 10 minutes, but we never had a chance to try IRL. We've only used the 5 mins early option before.

Our styles sound similar though with my neck and back issues I skip Space Mt. Only coaster at Disney that bothers me.

Upvote 0

disneygeek90

Thank you! I was told 10 minutes, but we never had a chance to try IRL. We've only used the 5 mins early option before.

Our styles sound similar though with my neck and back issues I skip Space Mt. Only coaster at Disney that bothers me.
One time I went in at exactly 16 minutes and it flashed blue, so I know that's the cutoff haha. They still let me in, of course.

I agree, regardless of ride, get your FP's for early am and squeeze in your next "priority e ticket" first thing.

Upvote 0

correcaminos

One time I went in at exactly 16 minutes and it flashed blue, so I know that's the cutoff haha. They still let me in, of course.

I agree, regardless of ride, get your FP's for early am and squeeze in your next "priority e ticket" first thing.
They are nice about things but we do not push it just in case. We've had nice CMs with other FP issues though.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom