Room Upgrades?

Obi

i've been reading a lot of posts lately from others here saying that they got complimentary room upgrades. my question is did you ask for a complimentary room upgrade, if they were available or were you just lucky and was given a room upgrade?

tia...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My husband and I have traveled three times together to WDW in recent history. We received free upgrades on two of these trips (standard room to savanna view at AKL and standard view to club level at YC). Its all luck... but I have a theory, perhaps the more insider people will be able to tell me if I'm correct.

We think thats its in WDW's favor to upgrade as many people as possible to keep the more expensive rooms full. Upgraded people are happier, more likely to book the more expensive room next time, and this leaves the cheaper rooms open for spur of the moment bookings. It's not more expensive for WDW to push a person up a category in room if the room is empty. Because we were upgraded to club level at the Yacht Club, we will be booking club level on our next trip at AKL. We NEVER would have dreamed of this if we didn't experience how nice it was for free the first time.

Book what you want and don't expect an upgrade. If it happens, it will be a great surprise.
Upgrades are done based on the operational needs of the resort. The Readers Digest version is if they can upgrade a few guests and leave a section of the resort empty, they can reduce housekeeping hours, condense maintenance needs, etc. Back around the big tourist slump that occurred after 9/11, upgrades, especially at AKL, were given out quite freely. Now that the majority of Disney resorts maintain an 85% or better occupancy rate upgrades occur much less frequently.

Upvote 0

pegsina

I think the theories here are correct - ask for what's REALLY important to you, but don't go overboard. The old saying "You catch more flies with honey" definitely applies!

I booked garden view at YC and decided to make no special requests figuring we'd be happy with anything. Got there at 11AM and got a room immediately. We got a room on the fourth floor steps from the main elevator and with a balcony view of main courtyard, lighthouse, and boat dock.

The kicker was that they never even mentioned that this was an upgrade - maybe I'm mistaken but I think it HAD to be as we could see more lake than garden. It was AWESOME, and as mentioned earlier - guess what? After being in these rooms - we will choose to pay for the upgrade next time :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Party of 5

During our middle son's 5th birthday celebration to WDW/Poly, we were pleasantly suprised with an upgrade from garden view (with a particular lodge house requested...although I don't recall which one we requested) to the MK view concierge level!!! We didn't ask...it was just offered. They knew we were celebrating my son's 5th birthday and they new that we were repeat guests. But other than that, we don't know what the "magic button" was for us to get the upgrade.

We were definitely spoiled on that trip, and now we have actually booked the same club level MK view at Poly for our trip next spring! I can't wait!

Upvote 0

Marianm

I'm probably the only one in the opposite side here- I don't WANT an upgrade. We stay in Contemporary garden view room bc the height of the balconies in the tower freak me out. I'm afraid of heights and I'd be paranoid about my kids sneaking out there. I love the garden view rooms and would probably decline if we were given an upgrade!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm probably the only one in the opposite side here- I don't WANT an upgrade. We stay in Contemporary garden view room bc the height of the balconies in the tower freak me out. I'm afraid of heights and I'd be paranoid about my kids sneaking out there. I love the garden view rooms and would probably decline if we were given an upgrade!
Don't be so quick. There are actually several suites in the garden wing. A few of which are actually on the ground floor if memory serves me correctly.:)

Upvote 0

Emm

My 1st trip as a parent, we got upgraded to courtyard view at WL. Of course 2 years later my wife insist we book courtyard since she loved seeing the pool from the room. The magic on that check-in was the CM talking to my 9 yr old about his favorite thing, the fireworks. The CM told him he had a surprise for him later. When we got to our room on the 6th floor at the far end, we had the surprise of seeing the MK fireworks from our balcony each night

Upvote 0

crxbrett

I remember when I went in July 2006 the Poly was in the process of redoing all of their rooms. The last building still waiting to receive the new refurbished rooms was the Moorea. I paid for a standard garden view, but I think because the whole resort had new rooms except for Moorea, we were upgraded to a lagoon room with a view directly looking at the castl on the 3rd floor. It was the best room I have ever had. My GF and I would leave the curtains open at night while we fell asleep with a view of the castle and lagoon. It was amazing.

I never asked for the upgrade and it was a total surprise. The front desk did not tell us we had been upgraded either. So as my GF and I made our way to our room we realized what they had given us. We were in a state of blissful shock and amazement when we got to our room number.

So out of 8 trips so far, I got a free upgrade once and on my 7th visit. Here's hoping it happens again this next trip!

So while the upgrades are awesome, don't expect it. It's a lucky bonus if it happens.

Upvote 0

Lauralemon17

Similar to a lot of replies - we got lucky and got a savannah view room upgrade at AKL. We did ask if they had any better view rooms upon arrival and they said we could move to a savannah view room in two days. So I believe they will look after you if they have the capacity to do so!

Upvote 0

correcaminos

I got a lot of upgrades at the Swan. Never asked but had better rooms and at the time they had a 'club lounge' of sorts that I had access to. Disney has only upgraded me once and it was from a standard view studio at BWV to a pool view. Not a big deal but it would've been a lot more for me to pay for. Nothing since, but DVC doesn't upgrade much ever, so not a big deal.

Upvote 0

rob0519

I asked to switch rooms at the CR once because of construction on the pool. I was told the hotel was sold out so I asked them to check for two rooms at the Polynesian or GF for the last 4 days of a 6 day stay. Ten minutes later I was given the keys to 2 club level park view rooms. I was absolutely stunned.

Upvote 0

Tk0021

We got upgraded last year when we did a split stay at CR and POP. The first part of our stay was at CR and the night before we were to leave and go to POP I asked if there were rooms available and how much would it coast if we would want to stay at CR for the rest of our trip. The women said she would ask the manager and call me when she had an answer and took my cell number, but the manager showed up and she asked if I could wait a few minutes. I did and she gave me the amount. Even though we loved the walk to MK I wasn't prepared to put that on my credit card. So, I thanked the manager and said I would talk to my wife. About 20 minutes later the manager called me and asked if I would like to stay at CR for the same price as POP! I said of course and we spent the rest of our trip at CR. It was great. I wish I could remember her name.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

We've never been upgraded: I think it's just luck of the draw. That, or the fact that it seems to happen more often at deluxe resorts, and the only time we stay deluxe is if we're renting DVC points: my understanding is that upgrades for DVC villas on points just don't happen (for obvious reasons related to inventory).

My sister's family got upgraded from an AoA standard room to a family suite for the final few nights of a week-long stay, due to my BIL striking up a conversation with the CM at check-in because he realized from her nametag that she was from his hometown -- I think he may ultimately have out-and-out asked her if upgrades were available, after a lot of friendly chit-chat. I'll never be that ballsy, which is, perhaps, why we've never been offered an upgrade. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Marianm

Don't be so quick. There are actually several suites in the garden wing. A few of which are actually on the ground floor if memory serves me correctly.:)

We ended upu getting an upgrade from garden room to the tower! I'm eating my words just a bit because the view and room can't be beat. Although the balcony scared the heck out of me the locks were pretty high up so the kids can't reach!

Upvote 0

Tomi-Rocket

First off, I would never ask for a free upgrade. If I asked to be upgraded I would fully expect to pay for it. I was, however, the recipient of a free upgrade a few years back from a Little Mermaid room to a Lion King suite. What a happy, exciting moment! I would never want to take that feeling of magic away, not from us nor the CM. I also feel that when people advertise that they got free upgrades it gives countless others the idea that it will automatically happen for them and then they start off their vacation with a tinge of disappointment or are those type who complain or demand it. I have this theory that if more and more people come with this entitlement attitude that Disney will simply quit making these magic moments altogether.

Upvote 0

PrincessNelly_NJ

We've never been upgraded: I think it's just luck of the draw. That, or the fact that it seems to happen more often at deluxe resorts, and the only time we stay deluxe is if we're renting DVC points: my understanding is that upgrades for DVC villas on points just don't happen (for obvious reasons related to inventory).

My sister's family got upgraded from an AoA standard room to a family suite for the final few nights of a week-long stay, due to my BIL striking up a conversation with the CM at check-in because he realized from her nametag that she was from his hometown -- I think he may ultimately have out-and-out asked her if upgrades were available, after a lot of friendly chit-chat. I'll never be that ballsy, which is, perhaps, why we've never been offered an upgrade. ;)
We rented DVC points for a 1 bedroom at AKL and still got upgraded to a Savannah view. This was when Kidani was under refurbishment in December, so an entire floor was not being used. That probably played a factor.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom