Room Upgrades?

Obi

i've been reading a lot of posts lately from others here saying that they got complimentary room upgrades. my question is did you ask for a complimentary room upgrade, if they were available or were you just lucky and was given a room upgrade?

tia...

yelena's aunt

The two times I have been given a room upgrade it was Disney's doing, not a response to a request I made. Both times I was moved to a preferred room which put me close to the pool at the resort. Not complaining, but I was fine being farther from the noise.

Can't hurt to ask when you check in though

Upvote 0

Polydweller

i've been reading a lot of posts lately from others here saying that they got complimentary room upgrades. my question is did you ask for a complimentary room upgrade, if they were available or were you just lucky and was given a room upgrade?

tia...

Never ask for a free upgrade (this coming from a hotelier), it's the best way not to get one. Upgrades are given for the hotel's business reasons and losing revenue is not one of those. Its things like maintenace, staffing, overbooking etc that get an upgrade. Ask for an upgrade is ok, just not a free one.

It seems like there are a lot of upgrades at Disney but that's a bit of an illusion. Disney had about 24,000 rooms (last figures I heard) so if they upgrade 1% per night that's 240 room nights per day or 87,600 per year. Sounds like a lot which is also why you hear about them on boards. But, it's still only 1%. 99% or 8,672,400 room nights aren't upgraded.

The actual % may be slightly different but the point is, despite the apparent upgrades you shouldn't expect it. The 99% or so simply don't write about not getting an upgrade.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Never ask for a free upgrade (this coming from a hotelier), it's the best way not to get one. Upgrades are given for the hotel's business reasons and losing revenue is not one of those. Its things like maintenace, staffing, overbooking etc that get an upgrade. Ask for an upgrade is ok, just not a free one.

It seems like there are a lot of upgrades at Disney but that's a bit of an illusion. Disney had about 24,000 rooms (last figures I heard) so if they upgrade 1% per night that's 240 room nights per day or 87,600 per year. Sounds like a lot which is also why you hear about them on boards. But, it's still only 1%. 99% or 8,672,400 room nights aren't upgraded.

The actual % may be slightly different but the point is, despite the apparent upgrades you shouldn't expect it. The 99% or so simply don't write about not getting an upgrade.

Exactly so! If you want to stay in a different type of hotel room, the best option is to book it and pay for it to make sure it happens. Other than that, if you are given an upgrade, it is more of a happy coincidence than anything else. Marie

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

In the 20 plus times we went to Disney, I never even thought to ask about an upgrade. We were given wonderful rooms, in the category we booked under (a few times concierge, most times not). This year, we are paying rack rate, no free dining and never even asked about an upgrade. We just figured when we checked in, IF we got any sort of an upgrade, we'd be thankful. We go to Disney every year, and if they did upgrades on a percentage basis, I'd rather the upgrade go to a family who has small children and/or it's their first time a Disney World, but that's just me

Upvote 0

DrummerAlly

My husband and I have traveled three times together to WDW in recent history. We received free upgrades on two of these trips (standard room to savanna view at AKL and standard view to club level at YC). Its all luck... but I have a theory, perhaps the more insider people will be able to tell me if I'm correct.

We think thats its in WDW's favor to upgrade as many people as possible to keep the more expensive rooms full. Upgraded people are happier, more likely to book the more expensive room next time, and this leaves the cheaper rooms open for spur of the moment bookings. It's not more expensive for WDW to push a person up a category in room if the room is empty. Because we were upgraded to club level at the Yacht Club, we will be booking club level on our next trip at AKL. We NEVER would have dreamed of this if we didn't experience how nice it was for free the first time.

Book what you want and don't expect an upgrade. If it happens, it will be a great surprise.

Upvote 0

Pooh Lover

Any time that we have been upgraded, and it has only happened in the deluxe resorts, it was never because we asked. I just wouldn't have the nerve but we are very grateful when it happens. We used to book either standard or woods view at the WL and had been upgraded a few times to courtyward view. Now we book courtyard view every time because we enjoy it so much. Good move on Disney's part.

Upvote 0

BigTxEars

My husband and I have traveled three times together to WDW in recent history. We received free upgrades on two of these trips (standard room to savanna view at AKL and standard view to club level at YC). Its all luck... but I have a theory, perhaps the more insider people will be able to tell me if I'm correct.

We think thats its in WDW's favor to upgrade as many people as possible to keep the more expensive rooms full. Upgraded people are happier, more likely to book the more expensive room next time, and this leaves the cheaper rooms open for spur of the moment bookings. It's not more expensive for WDW to push a person up a category in room if the room is empty. Because we were upgraded to club level at the Yacht Club, we will be booking club level on our next trip at AKL. We NEVER would have dreamed of this if we didn't experience how nice it was for free the first time.

Book what you want and don't expect an upgrade. If it happens, it will be a great surprise.

Sounds like pretty good logic to me :)

Upvote 0

riogirl

We just got back last week from 8 days at the Wilderness Lodge and we got a free upgrade without requesting it. We paid for a standard room and were upgraded to a woods view. When I made the reservations (after much research about the rooms) I requested what I didn't want for a standard room view. Not sure if it made a difference or not. We liked the room once we got there and did ask if we could upgrade to a courtyard view and they said yes but we would have to pay, so we just stayed and were very happy about it anyway.

Last year at Coronado Springs we were upgraded again without asking to a water view corner room! The only request we made was the building and we got that plus the upgrade. Not sure if this info helps but I was very close to paying extra before we went to make sure we got a good view and I was so happy that I didn't! Also if you are going during a slower time I am sure that when you got there if you wanted to move you might be able to-good luck!

Upvote 0

fauzha7

Upgrades

We always stay at a value resort to stretch a buck. I'd rather have 8 days at a value than only 4 or 5 at a Mod or Deluxe. A couple years back at ASMovies Resort, I booked a regular room. When we got there, I asked if I could upgrade to a preferred room. The CM took off looking for his boss. They both came back and with attitude, the "boss" told me that they NEVER do upgrades. I asked if the reason was because they had no preferred rooms available or is it that he's just not interested in taking more of my money. He just turned and walked away from me. ASMusic moved us from a regular room to a family suite during a year of a million dreams promo and I didn't ask for any upgrade.

Upvote 0

CoasterKing

Wow, it amazes me how many people here get free upgrades. We haved stayed at value, moderate and deluxe properties over the years at least 20+ times, and have never been upgraded one time. Seems like the odds would have been in our favor at least one time? :shrug:

Oh well, if it ever happens, we will be pleasantly surprised!!

CoasterKing :king:

Upvote 0

foreverbelle

We were upgraded this past March. We never asked and were quite surprised...This was and has been our only time we were upgraded in the five years that we have been going to the World annually. I am thinking its just the luck of the draw really.

Upvote 0

Obi

Original Poster
thanks for all the replies.

i agree, it does seem like there have been a lot of upgrades....

we'll be fine with the room we have.. just was wondering with all the people talking about upgrades was whether or not they asked for it or not...

just have to be at the right place at the right time it looks like...

who knows, maybe we might get lucky.?.?.? :shrug:

Upvote 0

Becky

Disney had about 24,000 rooms (last figures I heard) so if they upgrade 1% per night that's 240 room nights per day or 87,600 per year. Sounds like a lot which is also why you hear about them on boards. But, it's still only 1%. 99% or 8,672,400 room nights aren't upgraded.

Your 1% is about right for me. I have been to Disney about 100+ times and got upgraded once, a double at that. It was 2009 and they sent e-mails to people who booked Pop offering a free upgrade choice of SS or OKW studios. I chose OKW. When we got there the studios were full so they put us in a one bedroom. They even refunded the $10 a night (I think it was $10) that I had paid for the booked Pop preferred room.

Upvote 0

kdrose

Wilderness Lodge

We just got back at the end of August from our third trip to Disney. The first two times we stayed at one of the value resorts (ASMovies and Pop) and this last time we splurged on the Wilderness Lodge due to a great discount.

When we showed up, they saw that we had asked for bunk beds and they asked us about celebrating our tenth wedding anniversary (which is this month but working in a school limits when you can take time off). When I answered yes to both, the CM told me she was upgrading us to a courtyard view.

We didn't ask and I wouldn't ask. We later met someone who did ask, saying he has already spent enough money and they didn't give it to him. As the week went on, we saw that there really wasn't a lot of people around us (I honestly don't think we ever saw or heard a neighbor). I think we got it because we said we were celebrating, my daughter has an infectious personality about all things Disney and they had the open rooms since it was when most schools went back.

If it happened again, it would be awesome. If it didn't, we would consider ourselves lucky for being picked once. And I agree with another member, once you stay in a room with a nice view, you definitely want to book it again!

Upvote 0

CaptainShortty

99% of the time the upgrades are determined before you even approach the desk. It has to do with a variety of different factors that the back office takes into consideration when they upgrade your room. Almost always, if you ask you won't get the upgrade you desire unless you're willing to pay for it.

Upvote 0

rob0519

tia...

We've gotten 2 upgrades for free. In 1996, on our first trip to WDW since 1977, we were given a parking lot view in the garden wing of the Contemporary Resort, where BLT is today. I simply asked if there was a different room available and they gave me a second floor room facing Bay Lake. That was a great view and the kids loved it.

Then in 2009, we booked rooms in the CR Tower. Our rooms were directly above the pool facing Bay Lake. The pool was under renovation and between the construction noise and the music blaring for spring break, i asked if there were other rooms available, that i was willing to pay for or if we could move to the Polynesian. Well to my surprise, they put us on the Club Level, MK view for no charge, even though I offered to pay the difference.

Not sure why, we got either, but were most appreciative each time.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom