Roger E. Broggie steam locomotive new headlight

Disone

A great spot to get within to see the locomotives is the wheelchair entrance on Main Street. I usually go up there for photos or when I take my grandma (she is 93 so she uses a wheelchair).
I have done this, have always been hesitant to stay right at the corner when the train departs. Eric, do you know if they will depart with you standing that close?

Monorail_Orange

It's pretty standard practice to open the cylinders upon departure of fantasyland station.

Of course... It will only look like that on a cool day (hard sight to see this time of year!)
This is absolutely true. It is standard operating procedure for the engineers to open the steamcocks upon departing Fantasyland Station. I hate to burst the bubble of those that think it's just for them, it's actually because the trains are climbing a grade from Fantasyland up to Main Street. When starting from a stop, especially on an uphill grade, locomotives are prone to wheelslip. Not only does wheel slip mean the train isn't actually moving efficiently (or at all), wheelslip creates excess wear on the driver wheels and rails. Most locomotives combat this with sand sprayed onto the track just before the wheels to increase traction. However, on the WDW locomotives, years ago the engineers were using too much sand, and again, causing excess wear. The sand tubes were cut and plugged at the footrail on each boiler. By opening the steamcocks the engineers can actually reduce the torque applied to the driving wheels via the steam cylinders, and have a larger margin for error to avoid wheelslip. So the steamcocks are opened for operational reasons unrelated to show. Again, apologies for bursting anyone's bubble.

Disone

This is absolutely true. It is standard operating procedure for the engineers to open the steamcocks upon departing Fantasyland Station. I hate to burst the bubble of those that think it's just for them, it's actually because the trains are climbing a grade from Fantasyland up to Main Street. When starting from a stop, especially on an uphill grade, locomotives are prone to wheelslip. Not only does wheel slip mean the train isn't actually moving efficiently (or at all), wheelslip creates excess wear on the driver wheels and rails. Most locomotives combat this with sand sprayed onto the track just before the wheels to increase traction. However, on the WDW locomotives, years ago the engineers were using too much sand, and again, causing excess wear. The sand tubes were cut and plugged at the footrail on each boiler. By opening the steamcocks the engineers can actually reduce the torque applied to the driving wheels via the steam cylinders, and have a larger margin for error to avoid wheelslip. So the steamcocks are opened for operational reasons unrelated to show. Again, apologies for bursting anyone's bubble.
No apology needed. I have heard this a couple of times but you explained it far better then I could have. They don't do it all the time though, I do wonder about that. I have definitely seen Fantasyland Station departures with out much of a steam show. As they typically open the steamcocks prior to engaging the Johnson bar, do you know what they use to determine that they need, or do not need the traction?

Monorail_Orange

No apology needed. I have heard this a couple of times but you explained it far better then I could have. They don't do it all the time though, I do wonder about that. I have definitely seen Fantasyland Station departures with out much of a steam show. As they typically open the steamcocks prior to engaging the Johnson bar, do you know what they use to determine that they need, or do not need the traction?
Truth be told, they use engineer experience. A good engineer can "feel" when it's required. Obviously conditions have a lot to do with it as well. It is also very possible for an good engineer to accomplish departing the station using only the steam throttle and Johnson bar. The steamcocks just make it easier, and as you've noticed, also put on a good show.

DisAl

Have you noticed there are no brakes on the WDW locomotives? The brakes are on the passenger cars to give a smother stop and start for the passengers. There is no slack between the individual cars and the locomotive like there is on a "big" train.
If they do an emergency stop (like when an idiot kid jumps off just as the train is starting to move, and yes I saw this) they use both the car brakes and reverse the Johnson bar to lock the locomotive wheels.
(If I am wrong on this I'm sure one of you will let me know, but you can't see any brake shoes on the locos.)

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
I hope one day that we get a 5th steam loco at MK. And a second steamboat.

Oh great! I can see it now... “In order to provide the most efficient use and highest capacity of our trains, Walt Disney World is pleased to announce we will be adding automation to our trains to allow for more trains to operate on our existing tracks.” (Totally joking around so no one start that rumors please lol)

DisAl

For those who may be interested there are several videos of the "Magic Behind Our Steam Trains" tour posted on YouTube. Some of them are quite good.
Of course, watching it on video is sort of like watching somebody eat ice cream on video. Looks good but there is nothing like being there. I've done the tour three times and will do it again when I get the chance.

DisAl

I have done this, have always been hesitant to stay right at the corner when the train departs. Eric, do you know if they will depart with you standing that close?
I know what you mean. I once got permission from George Britton to stand in the corner to make some photos. Problem was, the engineer on the next train did not know that, and seeing someone where he was not used to seeing them he did a J-bar stop about thirty feet short of the normal stop point.. Embarrassed me tremendously, and I apologized to the engineer.
Didn't do that again. :oops:

EricsBiscuit

Original Poster
I know what you mean. I once got permission from George Britton to stand in the corner to make some photos. Problem was, the engineer on the next train did not know that, and seeing someone where he was not used to seeing them he did a J-bar stop about thirty feet short of the normal stop point.. Embarrassed me tremendously, and I apologized to the engineer.
Didn't do that again. :oops:
Well I've had to wait there before because there was a queue line for wheelchairs (my grandma can't transfer, they should add more wheelchair accessible spots but anyway). The trains departed as normal.

Disneyrailfan1996

I have been wanting to do the Magic Behind Our Steam Trains Tour for years. I've heard nothing but great things about it. Really hope that I can do it on our next trip.
Definitely! especially considering that each and every tour guide puts his/her own personality or personal touch on the tour - mainly with explanations/commentary. Mine had this to say about the trains vs the monorails. "When you (the monorails) lose power, you lose!" in other words, you can't rely on electricity to replace good old fashioned steam power! If you get there early enough, you might get to see the train do a test run before returning to the station (and possibly hear the station announcement go off long after the train has left!) and also the announcements telling everybody basically what you're mother would tell you every now and then: "clean up! We got company!" except more pleasant and explained.

Captain Barbossa

Definitely! especially considering that each and every tour guide puts his/her own personality or personal touch on the tour - mainly with explanations/commentary. Mine had this to say about the trains vs the monorails. "When you (the monorails) lose power, you lose!" in other words, you can't rely on electricity to replace good old fashioned steam power! If you get there early enough, you might get to see the train do a test run before returning to the station (and possibly hear the station announcement go off long after the train has left!) and also the announcements telling everybody basically what you're mother would tell you every now and then: "clean up! We got company!" except more pleasant and explained.
Haven't heard from you in a while. Are you still working in MK? Have you seen the new headlamps?

MerlinTheGoat

I didn't pay much attention to this thread. But now that I saw the new light in person the other day, it looks really bad.

I do like LED tech normally and have seen plenty of them (fitting normal sized or candelabra fixtures) that do a great job simulating the warm glow of a classic incandescent. There are even ones that look like real filaments and output to the 1800k-2200k warm amber color-
https://d114hh0cykhyb0.cloudfront.n...ament-bulb-gold-tint-7-watt-dimmable-app0.jpg

But what they used here is an extremely "blue" white. Daylight or cool white in the 5000k or above color. I don't know if there are any warmer yellow/orange colored LEDs of that size and brightness, but what they got doesn't work at all and isn't appropriate.

Monorail_Orange

I didn't pay much attention to this thread. But now that I saw the new light in person the other day, it looks really bad.

I do like LED tech normally and have seen plenty of them (fitting normal sized or candelabra fixtures) that do a great job simulating the warm glow of a classic incandescent. There are even ones that look like real filaments and output to the 1800k-2200k warm amber color-
https://d114hh0cykhyb0.cloudfront.n...ament-bulb-gold-tint-7-watt-dimmable-app0.jpg

But what they used here is an extremely "blue" white. Daylight or cool white in the 5000k or above color. I don't know if there are any warmer yellow/orange colored LEDs of that size and brightness, but what they got doesn't work at all and isn't appropriate.
Very disappointing to see the lack of thematic consistency with the headlamp replacement. I mean, these are true, turn-of-the-20th century heirlooms of railroading history. LED upgrade is still OK, if you make it with the color temperature of incandescent bulb or an oil flame. Seriously, what's next? An exposed CFL in place of the "Edison bulb" on porch of the 1920's scene in COP?

Not defending here, I wonder if the reason for "daylight or cool white" has to do with attempting to give the Engineer and Fireman a better view when the trains are running after dark? A bit like HID's as opposed to incandescent lamps on autos? The cooler temperatures are supposed to put out more lumens with the same wattage consumption. Other than that, and even that's really stretching it, there's a lack of good reason for this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom