Roger E. Broggie steam locomotive new headlight

DisAl

I've seen LED lights on newer Siemens equipment, mostly their locomotives. '
Examples:
acs-64-600-nanos.jpg

ACS-64 Sprinter
5dc8d99eedc6cb8980db686baf8e95d8.jpg

Siemens Charger

So to sum it all up, the Roger E Broggie isn't the only one to have LED headlights....
Yeah, but these are not classic steam locomotives like the ones at WDW.
It would have been just as easy for them to use led bulbs in the warm end of the spectrum rather than the harsh blue/white ones. If they have an excuse for using what they did I would like to hear it.

Disone

I've seen LED lights on newer Siemens equipment, mostly their locomotives. '
Examples:
acs-64-600-nanos.jpg

ACS-64 Sprinter
5dc8d99eedc6cb8980db686baf8e95d8.jpg

Siemens Charger

So to sum it all up, the Roger E Broggie isn't the only one to have LED headlights....

So to sum it all up, Roger Broggie is not s Siemens Charger or City Sprinter. I don't understand why your pictures were even justify putting a headlamp like that on any Disney Steam Engine. Makes about as much sense as adding a monorail station to Frontierland. After all, Big Thunder has trains, monorails are trains, so why not?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Both of those are modern locomotoves... I have no problem with led headlights on the monorails or on busses.

Once upon a time Disney special -ordered ballast that was "to scale" for the Disneyland Railroad. No detail was too small.

Yeah, but these are not classic steam locomotives like the ones at WDW.
It would have been just as easy for them to use led bulbs in the warm end of the spectrum rather than the harsh blue/white ones. If they have an excuse for using what they did I would like to hear it.

Thank goodness there are people who still pay attention to detail. As shared above, all they really had to do was use the newer bulbs in the warmer end of the spectrum. That would have made a huge difference.

Seabasealpha1

Eh...it's not completely cool white from what I can see in the picture. The problem really comes from the way the light is created. No matter how much you try to adjust the color, LED often looks cold. For instance, about the only way that the LED bulbs in my home look like good 'ole soft white is because there's a difusing "bulb" around the led's.

One things for sure on this...they use a lot less juice and they're probably hella bright... and to me it's a minor detail...I'm just happy they're running at all...

Disone

Eh...it's not completely cool white from what I can see in the picture. The problem really comes from the way the light is created. No matter how much you try to adjust the color, LED often looks cold. For instance, about the only way that the LED bulbs in my home look like good 'ole soft white is because there's a difusing "bulb" around the led's.

One things for sure on this...they use a lot less juice and they're probably hella bright... and to me it's a minor detail...I'm just happy they're running at all...

Photos are hard to judge in person its very cool bright. Wait until you see it in person. Its obviously the wrong color temperature and very cool bright not just slightly cool bright.

trainplane3

Strasburg is such an amazing place. They have another narrow gauge engine in the shop right now too, an 1899 rio grande southern #20 being rebuilt for the Colorado Railroad Museum.
I should really get out to Strasburg again since I'm only like 5 hours away. It's been about 10 years. Really cool place. They seem to be the best when it comes to restoration of old engines.

Disney-Trains

Not just the engines. Their ever expanding fleet of wooden coaches are simply unreal.

They are also one of the few heritage railroads (Durango, Cumbres, Essex, and Cass are the others) that have made the commitment to only operate steam.

Disone

I hope one day that we get a 5th steam loco at MK. And a second steamboat.
I don't even think it is on the radar.... And with only three stations, I get that. But like you, MAN ON MAN would that be awesome. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

I learned on behind the steams that the tenders carry enough water to go hours without refilling them, but they top them off ever two laps just for show as guests like to see the water tower in use. Cool they do that for show, but yet put on this awful head lamps? sigh.

Also, how need would non-stop round trips be from Main street during not so scary or very merry Christmas parties? Maybe instead of going down the parade route the headless horsemen can make and appearance along the back woods stretch of the train? And for the holiday to decorate the back woods with lights in the trees and a Christmas song sing-along as it chuggs along. In both cases, this addes a special event feature to the party one can not get during regular hours at minimal cost really.

DizArielFan

Yea that bluish LED headlight looks out of place on that locomotive, I wonder how the light pattern is? I hope they didn't do what some morons do to their cars, place LED or Xenon bulbs in housings that were designed for halogens, creating a blinding light pattern.

DisAl

I learned on behind the steams that the tenders carry enough water to go hours without refilling them, but they top them off ever two laps just for show as guests like to see the water tower in use. Cool they do that for show, but yet put on this awful head lamps? sigh.

If you ask the engineer sometimes they will open the steamcocks for you when they leave the station.
FYI, when you see a train in a movie with the steamcocks open it is all for show. They are normally only opened when there is a chance that steam has condensed in the cylinder leaving water which could wreck the cylinder if the steamcocks were not opened to drain it.

Attachments

• DSC06947.JPG
    DSC06947.JPG
    275.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Disone

A lot of the times they do that just because they know you are watching. Happens to me all the time and I have never specifically asked for it. But if they see me filming it.... more times then not, they will put on a show esp at Fantasyland Station departures.

DisAl

A lot of the times they do that just because they know you are watching. Happens to me all the time and I have never specifically asked for it. But if they see me filming it.... more times then not, they will put on a show esp at Fantasyland Station departures.
Disone, I'm sure you already know about this location, but my favorite place to film is from along the walkway that goes between Fantasy Land station and Space Mountain. I think you can see the trains longer from there than anywhere else in the park and in some places the walkway is pretty close to the track. And they usually blow the whistle before the pedestrian crossing next to Space Mountain.

Disney-Trains

Let's just hope they never build a big roller coaster there to block our train watching!!!! :-/

It's also along that path that the engines actually have to work up grade! On a busy 3-train operation day I can easily spend an hour or 2 along that path.

Disone

Disone, I'm sure you already know about this location, but my favorite place to film is from along the walkway that goes between Fantasy Land station and Space Mountain. I think you can see the trains longer from there than anywhere else in the park and in some places the walkway is pretty close to the track. And they usually blow the whistle before the pedestrian crossing next to Space Mountain.
Yes, mine too, absolutely, the best, and I get mad if they don't or just half *** it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom