Robin Hood Apprecation Thread

ShoalFox

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I've just recently watched Disney's Robin Hood (1973) for the first time since I was little. I remembered barely anything about the film except for minor details. I must say I absolutely loved it and it's become my new favorite Disney film. In the past few days I've been looking around the internet and was disappointed to find how little merchandise of the movie exists. I would just like to find some fellow lovers of Robin Hood and talk.

Can we go yet?

giphy.gif

Robin Hood was one of my favorites growing up, and it's still great to watch. It's true that there's not much merchandise, but the characters do sometimes make appearances in the parks if you're lucky. Plus, there's some adorable pop figures of Robin and Prince John.

Magenta Panther

I've always liked the idea behind "Robin Hood" - having animals play all of the parts. But the movie lacks something...I think the villains were just too weak, and made things too easy for Robin. And did Phil Harris have to play a bear AGAIN??? (What was WITH the studio's fixation on Phil Harris back then?) But it's still an enjoyable movie.

ShoalFox

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I've always liked the idea behind "Robin Hood" - having animals play all of the parts. But the movie lacks something...
I felt the same way when I the movie ended. I enjoyed it, but felt something was missing. I wasn't able to figure out what, though.

prberk

Roger Miller wrote much (but not all) of the music. He was a brilliant artist. Check out his other music, if you are not aware of it. He wrote the music for the play, "Big River," as well. It was the musical adaptation of Huckleberry Finn that you may know from Broadway or from the many high school productions of it. It was brilliant. "Worlds Apart" from that show was a moving song about seeing through the eyes of other races, and many people liked "River in the Rain"; but I was particularly moved by "How Blest We Are," a hymn that he wrote for the show that is sung back to back first by a staid, high-church Anglican-style white congregation, then staged immediately following by a traditional gospel-style black congregation - same song, same lyrics, completely different plaintive, meaningful styles brilliantly showing the contrast.

He was mostly known as a country music star, but even his country music was brilliant: some more storytelling ("King of the Road"), others more fun ("Dang Me") or just a good song ("England Swings"), but all well-written and smart. (Some just as rich in vocabulary as those of the Sherman Brothers.) He was funny and fun in person, and it came across in some of the songs.

And, of course, "Whistle Stop" from Robin Hood was sampled for the landmark internet meme (before we even knew what a "meme" was), "Hampster Dance." http://www.hampsterdance2.com/hampsterclassics.htm shows the original clip, which was later the whole song: . (Someone has taken the Disney original and sped it up to match pitch and time of "The Hampster Dance" also: .)

Anyway, Roger Miller was brilliant even before "The Hampster Dance"... And his brilliance was on display in Robin Hood.

FYI for old TV fans: The voices of the vultures in Robin Hood were provided by George "Goober" Lindsey of Andy Griffith Show and Mayberry RFD fame, and by Ken "Festus" Curtis of Gunsmoke fame.

Last edited:

jw24

Robin Hood was one of my absolute favorites as a kid. I still like it but not as much as others. I did like the action and the chemistry between Robin and Little John. But I have to agree that villains aren't exactly in the same class as Maleficent or Scar. Prince John is comedic villain who I think lacks the sinister motive and action plans to get what he wants, which primarily is to be rich. And plus I think using recycled animation from the Jungle Book didn't help its case either.

Last edited:

Fox&Hound

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooove this movie. Agree that it gets zero love.

Amazing music and fun action. A little slow at parts, but a true classic in my eyes.

I thought when Brave came out (ughhhh) that Robin Hood would get some love or maybe even a mash up online but....nothin'.

Would love to see more of a presence in the parks. Even a wanted poster for him somewhere would be a nice touch =)

ShoalFox

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Would love to see more of a presence in the parks. Even a wanted poster for him somewhere would be a nice touch =)
Well this thread is kind of pointless now since I watched The Fox and the Hound since posting and that became my new favorite, but whatever...

Anyway, there's always Long Lost Friends week (if they're doing it again this year) and Robin Hood was a part of that. I'd love to go during that week if I possibly could.

Brer Panther

When I was younger, I designed a Robin Hood attraction. It was essentially a ripoff of Splash Mountain (as in, it practically had the exact same layout) without the water.

Meanwhile, as for the movie itself, I've noticed that Kaa looks a lot like Sir Hiss, even more than Little John looks like Baloo (an that's saying a lot!). Perhaps they're brothers?

champdisney

"Ooh-de-la-lay! Ooh-de-la-lay! Ooh-de-la-lay!"

One of my favorite movie catchphrases in all of cinema. Robin Hood is a childhood favorite of mines and is a pure Disney Classic. I much prefer the "Animal Kingdom" take on the tale than all the other adaptations I've seen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom