Robert Iger to be named Eisners replacement to CEO position today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

askmike1

speck76 said:
The only thing Pixar really needs is a movie distribution channel.......but Universal, Dreamworks, Warner Bros, and Fox are all pretty much equal is Disney in that aspect.
Most studios don't need Pixar though. Fox has it's own CG studio (produced Ice Age & Robots), Dreamworks has a whole animation wing, WB has animation studios, and most other studios have Animation studios (even Sony). Pixar says it will find other studios but what have they done? Nothing, nadda, zip zero, diddly-squat. Pixar has not even talked with other studios. Pixar is desperate to stay with Disney.

FutureCEO

is this new news or has this been talked about
---------------------
The Walt Disney Co. said Sunday its president, Robert Iger, will succeed Michael Eisner as chief executive and that Eisner will leave his post one year earlier than previously announced.

The company said Iger was unanimously elected by the board at a meeting Saturday and will take charge Oct. 1, which is the start of Disney's 2006 fiscal year. Eisner will step down the day before, although he will remain on the board for another year. Disney will pay him through Sept. 30, 2006, when his contract expires.

speck76

askmike1 said:
Most studios don't need Pixar though. Fox has it's own CG studio (produced Ice Age & Robots), Dreamworks has a whole animation wing, WB has animation studios, and most other studios have Animation studios (even Sony). Pixar says it will find other studios but what have they done? Nothing, nadda, zip zero, diddly-squat. Pixar has not even talked with other studios. Pixar is desperate to stay with Disney.

Exactly the point I was trying to make earlier. With Disney now going whole-hog into CGI animation, I am not sure why they would want to "help" Pixar while getting a minimum amount of money in return.....all they would be doing is helping the competition.

Lee

Adventurer
Just gonna throw my little 2 cents in....

Am I happy that Iger got the job? No.
Am I surprised? No, again. I personally feel sure that the fix has been in for months.

However...I am willing to give him some rope and see what he does with it.

Best case: Iger asserts himself as an executive and establishes him self as the leader of the company. Willing to take chances, willing to sometimes let creativity overrule accounting, dedicated to preserving what the company is all about.

Worst case: Eisner hangs around as the man behind the curtain. The era of parks on the cheap, movie budgets sliced to the bone, MBAs trumping artists, and the dollar being more influential than a smile continues.

The NFL used to have a slogan which I will use here as my message to Iger:

"Show Me Something".

Now then...somebody go check on Roy...he's had a tough day. :animwink:

DDuckFan130

imagineer boy said:
*kicks table* God damn it!!!!! Is Disney deliberately trying to ruin its self?! Iger will not make anything better!!!! We're gonna be constantly reading about failures and flops again and again on these forums and we're gonna constantly see Disney be a joke in Hollywood again! I've had it! I'm SICK of it!!! I wanna read some good news for once!!!
Ok, I didn't even want to read this thread, but some of Speck's posts intrigued me so here I am. I'm sorry, but please do not curse like that. If I heard my brother or sister curse like that, being that they're your age, they'd be seriously hurt.

Sorry, but of all the posts, this seriously offended me :(

Continue with the thread and forgive me for poking my ignorant head in here :wave:

Mr. Eggz

Why Bob Iger Should not be the next CEO of Disney
-or-
He Already had a Chance to Prove Himself and Blew It

1. No knowledge of Disney Theme Parks – Proof: He has been the President of the Company for 5 years and has taken no interest in the parks. He does not involve himself in the creative aspects at WDI. He was even responsible for heading up political discussions with China for Hong Kong Disneyland and still never concerned himself with what attractions (either number or quality) that the park offered. Also, during the press event at the opening of DCA he didn’t know the names of any of the attractions.

2. No Love for Animation – Proof: He was the President of the Company during the closure of the Studios in Florida and Paris and massive layoffs in Burbank. The creators of Beauty and the Beast, Lion King and Tarzan were loosing their jobs, and Mr. Iger did not get involved. Eisner destroyed Animation and Iger didn’t say a word. This either means that the destruction of Animation meant nothing to him or he didn’t have the guts to stand up to Eisner. Either way, he’s not a good choice.

3. No Passion for Disney - Proof: People often say Iger is a good choice because he has knowledge of the Company, but the fact is he only knows ABC and International affairs. He didn’t come to Disney because he loved the legacy of Walt Disney. He came because the company he worked for was taken over by Disney. There are very successful executives within Disney who have that passion – Richard Cook and Al Weiss. There are former Disney Executives who have the passion – Steve Burke and Judson Green. Iger is not the best choice.

4. Takes credit for other peoples’ work. – Proof: Although it is well known he was not in favor of making "LOST" he frequently takes credit for its success.

5. History of Bad Choices – Proof: He decided to run "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" four nights a week. And he passed on CSI.

6. No Integrity – Proof: He lied to the board about the projected earnings of the FOX Family Channel.

stitchcastle

Hmmm..... looks like the company's all downhill from here I'm just gonna live in my imaginary world where Disney is still "Disney" and live happily ever after then.... so much for a magic kingdom

Pluto Parking

NemoRocks said:
From the looks of the garbage Disney has been putting out over the past couple of years....I would say that they desperately need Pixar.

Pixar? The company the Disney put on the map? Disney payed Pixar to make movies for them and now Pixar wants the ownership of the movies. Give me a break. Disney did the right thing by letting them go. Pixar is being unreasonable. Pixar will have here flop. Look at Disney in the 90's or Don Bluth Films in the 80's they got on a roll and then fell off a little. Pixar will do the same. Watch.

Pixar needs Disney much more! Thats why Pixar didnt pick another company to partner with. They want to be with Disney bad!

speck76

Mr. Eggz said:
Why Bob Iger Should not be the next CEO of Disney
-or-
He Already had a Chance to Prove Himself and Blew It

1. No knowledge of Disney Theme Parks – Proof: He has been the President of the Company for 5 years and has taken no interest in the parks. He does not involve himself in the creative aspects at WDI. He was even responsible for heading up political discussions with China for Hong Kong Disneyland and still never concerned himself with what attractions (either number or quality) that the park offered. Also, during the press event at the opening of DCA he didn’t know the names of any of the attractions.

2. No Love for Animation – Proof: He was the President of the Company during the closure of the Studios in Florida and Paris and massive layoffs in Burbank. The creators of Beauty and the Beast, Lion King and Tarzan were loosing their jobs, and Mr. Iger did not get involved. Eisner destroyed Animation and Iger didn’t say a word. This either means that the destruction of Animation meant nothing to him or he didn’t have the guts to stand up to Eisner. Either way, he’s not a good choice.

3. No Passion for Disney - Proof: People often say Iger is a good choice because he has knowledge of the Company, but the fact is he only knows ABC and International affairs. He didn’t come to Disney because he loved the legacy of Walt Disney. He came because the company he worked for was taken over by Disney. There are very successful executives within Disney who have that passion – Richard Cook and Al Weiss. There are former Disney Executives who have the passion – Steve Burke and Judson Green. Iger is not the best choice.

4. Takes credit for other peoples’ work. – Proof: Although it is well known he was not in favor of making "LOST" he frequently takes credit for its success.

5. History of Bad Choices – Proof: He decided to run "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" four nights a week. And he passed on CSI.

6. No Integrity – Proof: He lied to the board about the projected earnings of the FOX Family Channel.

Good job on "proving" points that are not completely related, and for the most part, have nothing to do with what you are trying to prove.

Please, take a lesson about logical fallacies: http://www.intrepidsoftware.com/fallacy/toc.php

Mr. Eggz

Pluto Parking said:
Pixar? The company the Disney put on the map? Disney payed Pixar to make movies for them and now Pixar wants the ownership of the movies. Give me a break. Disney did the right thing by letting them go. Pixar is being unreasonable. Pixar will have here flop. Look at Disney in the 90's or Don Bluth Films in the 80's they got on a roll and then fell off a little. Pixar will do the same. Watch.

Pixar needs Disney much more! Thats why Pixar didnt pick another company to partner with. They want to be with Disney bad!

The folks that run Pixar (John Lassetter, Ed Catmull, Pete Docter, Andrew Staiton & Brad Bird) will be the next Nine Old Men. They love the wonderful history and herritage of Walt Disney (READ "The Wonderful World of Pixar" from Wired magazine). When they founded Pixar, they based the structure of the company on the Disney Studios of the 1940s; they even posted memos Walt wrote on the boards at their studio. They care about their people and treat them right. They foster a positive creative working environment unlike Disney Animation or WDI today. They invite old Disney hands like Joe Grant, Frank Thomas and Oli Jonhnston up to Pixar to speak to the team.

And the name "Pixar" carries a lot of weight today. Last Week Disneyland did a survey asking people if they would go to a park called "Disney/Pixar Studios" to test the name. Internally Disney recognizes the power of the Pixar name. Any Studio in Hollywood would love to distribute their films. They are 6 for 6. No Studio in History has ever done that! Ever!

Pixar is the new Disney. How many people know who the distributer was for Snow White today? How many care? Disney is becoming just a distributer and more and more allowing others to create the content of their films, attractions, consumer products and TV Shows. Disney is becoming just a big bank that specializes in investing in entertainment product. Which is esentually what FOX, Time Warner, and Paramount are.

FutureCEO

Interesting article

Iger's Profile Stays Low on His Big Day
As Disney names him its next CEO, he gets only a quote in the news release. Experts question his virtual silence.

Disney Names One of Its Own as New Chief

By Meg James, Times Staff Writer

Where was Bob?

On Sunday, when Walt Disney Co.'s chairman hosted a conference call about the company's next chief executive, the newly anointed leader was not on the line.

Robert Iger, casual in khakis and a white button-down shirt, did make an appearance at the Hollywood premiere of the Disney movie "Ice Princess," with his wife and two sons at his side. But requests for interviews were denied.

Disney spokeswoman Zenia Mucha said Iger's profile was low by design, so that attention would be focused on the board's unanimous decision to choose the lone inside candidate for the job. Iger is expected to be made available today for interviews with journalists.

Management consultants described Iger's virtual silence as curious. Some said it gave the appearance that Disney board members and executives were more interested in wrapping up an arduous search for Michael Eisner's successor than in unveiling a strong leader.

"If you're proud of your selection, then you put your selection on the phone," said Joe D. Goodwin, an Atlanta-based corporate consultant. "It seems that all they wanted was to conclude the process, and that seems to suggest that the search may have been less than sincere."

Stephen Mader, vice chairman of New York-based executive search firm Christian & Timbers, agreed. "This all detracts from Iger's credibility," he said. "They are doing themselves in by handling it the way they did."

The sidelining of Iger, even if only for one day, reinforced the perception that the 54-year-old will have to work hard to define himself as his own man. Eisner and Iger jointly called top Disney executives Sunday to deliver the news. In the official news release, which quoted both men, Eisner was allowed to go on at greater length, while Iger's statement largely paid homage to his boss.

"I feel all the more privileged to succeed Michael, whose tremendous 20-year leadership and enormous accomplishments have built this company into the world's preeminent leader in family entertainment," Iger said.

Analysts and executives who have worked with Iger said they were confident that he would eventually put his own stamp on the company.

"Bob is not Michael," said Disney Chairman George J. Mitchell. "There will be changes. "

Many say such changes will be possible only when Eisner completely exits the stage. Eisner has said he will step down as chief executive Sept. 30, but he will remain on the board until his one-year term is up, in early 2006.

Iger, a former television weatherman who is married to former CNN and ABC News anchor Willow Bay, is known as a corporate survivor who has persevered even when others — even Eisner in the past — have appeared to write him off.

A recently released book by James B. Stewart, "DisneyWar," contains several examples of how Eisner regularly dismissed his No. 2's ability, sometimes in front of the board.

Though privately irked by such treatment, Iger has managed to maintain a sense of humor in public. A year ago, when Disney was roiling from a take-over bid by Comcast Corp., an investor revolt and continued lackluster ratings on its ABC television network, Iger broke the ice at an investor conference with a joke.

Instead of talking to shareholders that day in Palm Beach, Fla., he noted wryly, "I thought I would find myself in the obituary section."

As Iger has lobbied to be promoted to chief executive, he has had to tread carefully to appear to be neither critical of Eisner nor his lackey.

He's enjoyed some good luck, as his candidacy has benefited from recent developments. Comcast withdrew its offer to buy Disney, the company has delivered double-digit earnings growth and ABC has roared back to life on the strength of three hit shows: "Desperate Housewives," "Lost" and "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition." Last month, Disney's shares reached a three-year high.

"Clearly, Bob has been helped by the company's performance over the last 24 months," said Lowell Singer, a media analyst with SG Cowen & Co. "But this was the right decision for the company."

Stephen B. Burke, Comcast president and a former Disney executive, agreed. "It would be impossible to find anybody who is harder working or more committed to making Disney a success than Bob," he said.

Iger, who has been Disney's president and chief operating officer since 2000, will take over the top job on Oct. 1. Until then, he will continue to work closely with Eisner.

Iger's critics have long faulted him for failing to stand up to Eisner and for lacking vision. It was Iger, for example, who decided to sell the company's ownership stake in Jerry Bruckheimer's "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," which was developed by Disney's Touchstone Television. "CSI," which airs on rival CBS, is now television's most popular scripted show, and has spawned a profitable franchise with two successful spinoffs.

In recent months, Iger has assumed a more visible role at Disney, meeting more regularly with investors and leading some outsiders to conclude that his selection was virtually assured.

He has been increasingly assertive about his priorities for Disney, which include expanding the company's products into emerging markets such as China and India, experimenting more with technological advances and enhancing an environment to foster creativity.

"If you could write a song about Bob, it would contain those refrains," said Anne Sweeney, co-chairman of Disney's media networks division, who has worked for Iger for nine years.

Sweeney called Iger's appointment "a validation of a real leader in our company. Bob always raises the bar. He always asks questions that probe deeper, and make you work harder…. Bob has a superb work ethic and he is always available to his people. "

Iger began his career at ABC in 1974 as a studio supervisor in New York. He then moved to ABC Sports, where he became vice president of programming in 1987. The following year he was promoted to executive vice president of ABC Television Network, and he moved to Los Angeles in 1989 to head ABC's entertainment division.

Five years later, in 1994, Iger was appointed president and chief operating officer of ABC, which was then owned by Capital Cities/ABC Inc. Two years later, Disney acquired ABC, beginning a rocky marriage between the clashing cultures.

In the Sunday conference call, Mitchell, the Disney chairman, said it was Iger's familiarity with the world of Disney that helped him land the job.

"He brings a deep understanding of its culture, its heritage, its complex operations and its people," Mitchell said. "We believe that Bob's accomplishments and vision, his energy and integrity, his ability to lead and motivate … make him the best choice to lead the company."

speck76

Mr. Eggz said:
Feel free to challenge me on any point. I can back everything up. There are no assumptions or half-truths in my post.

For one, you point out that he does not involve himeself in the creative areas of WDI. You also point out that he did not want to air "Lost".......

Isn't this a good thing?

He did not want to air "Lost", but, it got through anyway, which means that he is listening to those who work around and for him.

For him not involving himself in the creative areas of WDI....why should he be involved. Hasn't a big complaint about Eisner the last few years is that he is too involved, but does not "get it". If Iger does not "get it" in relation to WDI, isn't it good that he lets the creative people create, and does not get involved?

You say he has no love for animation, all due to the fact that he was at the helm when the studios in Florida and Paris were closed?....How do these relate? I think consolidating operations in one studio is a great idea......also, the talent at WDFA was "watered-down" with all of these studios......if WDFA wants the best and brightest animators, they need a small, select group, not a huge workforce.

Also, he was ONLY president, and reported to Eisner.....Eisner, and man that could break his career in a second......and last I looked, there are not a ton of open positions in the country for President of a large company. If he could not stand up to Eisner, I can understand that.......but that does not mean that he has no backbone.....

Shaman

Why is Iger bad for the WDC?

Simple...

He was hand chosen by Eisner...

(need I say more?)

Yes?

Okay, so its not enough that Eisner thinks Iger is THE choice for replacement...how about the possibility that there isn't any proof out there that more than one other person was interviewed for the position...are we all gonna sit here and say that there aren't other people out there better qualified outside of the company...or even within? So why did the board say there was a SEARCH...(I'm sure they don't need a dictionary, they do know what the word means)...

If the board lies to the shareholders, and play these games what does that say about management in general?

I mean all we have to do is look at what exactly came about after all the no confidence votes...the board remains practically the same...minus Eisner being chairman...so who replaced him...Mitchell...who got a fairly large no confidence vote as well...

Wow...for a publicly owned company...they really don't pay any attention to their shareholders...

So why should anything they believe or vote on have any validity...when we know Eisner is still pulling the strings...

There has to be something else happnening behind the scenes...Eisner stands to win something from Iger becoming his replacement...

But hey, lets give him a chance...lets wait and see...

(my thinking is Iger will let Disney be taken over by a comcast-like company)

But hey...thats just MY opinion...:animwink:

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I agree that I have not seen anything demonstrated by Iger that gives me confidence in him....but just surviving under Eisner is no small feat.

My biggest gripe also is with the board. They did no search, and even with the few people they did contact, they didnt follow through. I would have liked to see Meg get serious consideration...but it appears the board just backed away and ignored her when it seemed she had a real interest in considering the position.

I can only hope for the best, but clearly, there was no process here.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
My sentiments are the same as Lee - he has the rope, now let's see if he hangs himself or climbs up. I am curious to see how he will de-centralize decision making and make the company more entraprenurial. Those are his words, not mine.

If 'Lost' was a flop, does anyone honestly think that Iger would have said "I take the blame for putting it on the air"? No, but he gets credit for ABC's success because of it. If he wants to distance himself from Eisner, the best thing he could do would be to take both blame and credit. It will definitely raise his stock.

And 'Shark Tale' *was* bad - I wanted to leave after 20 minutes. My older kid wasn't even into it; but he was absolutely riveted during both 'Nemo' and 'The Incredibles', and loves the Toy Story characters and "Monsters, Inc.". CG is more than just the animation. Someone once said that any of the Pixar movies could have been hand-drawn and been successful (this was after "Monsters, Inc."), because the story was so good. I watched 'Shrek', and it was ok. But it didn't draw me in. There just wasn't anything special about it, except for the constant bashing of other movies/companies (cough*Katzenbergsinfluence*cough). ;)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
ClemsonTigger said:
I agree that I have not seen anything demonstrated by Iger that gives me confidence in him....but just surviving under Eisner is no small feat.

My biggest gripe also is with the board. They did no search, and even with the few people they did contact, they didnt follow through. I would have liked to see Meg get serious consideration...but it appears the board just backed away and ignored her when it seemed she had a real interest in considering the position.

I can only hope for the best, but clearly, there was no process here.

Sure there was a process! Here it is:

Eisner - "I think Bob Iger should be the person to replace me."

BoD - "OK!"

End of process.

Seriously, though, Whitman withdrew because Disney was "dragging their feet". I think that speaks volumes as to what was going on.

Mark my words - there will be some kind of negative repercussions for Iger getting the CEO job.

longfamily

First, let me thank Speck for all of his insight. You have brought up information that was not known to me.

I would like to address a few posts from this thread...

1) Igar has impressed an incredible amount of people in the last 30 years to get to where he is today. He has to be good at what he does. Brown nosing will not take you as far as this man has gone. I take back the "cookie cutter" comment I made earlier.

2) Eisner is not some person who has no care for Disney. No individual can dedicate that much time to trying to make something the best without extreme love for it (disregaurd his track record, everyone makes bad choices now and then). His offer to step down a year early tells us that he personally believes that Igar will not destroy what he has worked so hard to build. That truely says something about Igar.

3) Disney does not need Pixar. Look at their relationship like you would an apprenticeship. Disney is, as we speak, creating a studio to make Pixar type movies. They would not have taken the initiative to do so if they didn't think they could do it better. Pixar taught them how, Disney will improve the techniques and corner the market. This is a historical fact.

4) Walt Disney is not responsible for the success of disney all through the years. Disney would have been a failure if not for the business skills (and many great choices) of his brother Roy. However, this again was a perfect team, a marraige of creativity and business sense (walt + roy). You can't have a one sided team to have a great success story.

5) 3 positons of importance mst be filled. The powers that be have been working towards the success of Disney for quite a long time. They will not place people in those positions if they don't think that those people can produce. These decisions will effect their livelihood
How important is your livelihood to you? How serious would you be about those decisions?

6) As for ABC ratings and what Igar passed on... It is very difficult to find a show that will be successful. When CSI was pitched, it was like so many other current shows on other stations. Why would a station looking to gain viewers depend on a show with a familiar feel. Originality is imperitve to television. Same problem with Surviver. This show could have easily been unpopular. It was pitched at a time when reality TV was still a new concept. No one believed at that time that reality TV was going to be as big as it has become. When you are budgeting money to produce shows you go for the most original and lucritive show you can. We don't have the inside knowledge of what ABC was working with monotarily at that time. Igar made some decisions that turned out wrong in the long run but had both shows been flops he would have saved ABC millions.

speck76

Article from Fortune

Disney: What Kind of Boss Will Bob Iger Be?
How Iger shows himself to be his own man—which he must do to succeed as Disney's new CEO—will be interesting to watch.
By Patricia Sellers

For a guy whom many people believed could not yield power enough to groom someone to replace him, Michael Eisner has at last delivered. He has bred a successor in Bob Iger. And for a guy whom many people suspected is not aggressive enough to cop the top job, Iger proves that patience and a willingness to stand tall (but not too tall!) in a big man's shadow eventually pays off. How Iger shows himself to be his own man—which he must do to succeed as Disney's new CEO—will be interesting to watch.

In a series of lengthy interviews with FORTUNE recently, Iger was reticent to say how he wants to change Disney—except, he said, he is eager to decentralize decision-making and make the company more "entrepreneurial." But what he does describe enthusiastically is the kind of company he likes, given the bosses he has worked for these past 30 years. The late Roone Arledge, the legendary leader of ABC Sports, "was the most competitive person I've ever worked with or for," Iger says, adding that Arledge "made me better at not taking no for an answer. I'd still like to get better at that." Working for Tom Murphy, who was CEO of Capital Cities/ABC when Disney bought the company in 1996, taught Iger that "the single greatest cultural imperative for a company is integrity." Murphy taught him "to abhor corporate politics," he says. Certainly, Iger has suffered through plenty of politics inside Disney—particularly that painful year a decade ago when Michael Ovitz was president and Iger seriously considered quitting. Now we see, it was smart for him to stick it out—and lately, market himself to the Disney board and to investors proactively. From Eisner, Iger says, "I've learned that you have to express yourself. You can't hold back." If Iger, as CEO, manages to balance egos as successfully as he has in preparing for the job, he's got a decent shot at success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom