RnRC New Theme Discussion

RSoxNo1

Right. But the goal wasn't to "prop it up." The goal was to get a Marvel E-ticket into California quickly.
Maybe they shouldn't have waited to start the project until 7 1/2 years after they acquired the rights or 2 1/2 years after the first Guardians came out in the theaters.

I'm guessing this is a solid ride, but it's laziness/cheapness pure and simple.

No Name

It's not helping to sell merchandise of a Disney movie. Nor is it contributing to "Disneyana." There will be no (or very, very rare) RnRR tribute in any Disney montage. You're not going to see a Steven Tyler plush doll next to Woody in some child's room.

Is that kind of synergy necessary? No. Is that kind of synergy eventually going to be mandated? Almost certainly.

If that's their line of thinking, then I don't know why they purchased the rights to Avatar.

Goofyernmost

It fits because the ride literally has you driving down the streets of Los Angeles. Does anyone else think RnRC doesn't belong at DHS, or am I missing something?
Many have because they think of DHS as strictly movie related and forgetting the Hollywood of old theme that was the original thought. But, in fairness, when it opened it was pretty much nothing but movie stuff with the exception of the TV one (name escapes me at the moment), however, even that was more an exercise in how green screens were generally used in TV and Movies. The addition of Twilight Zone put a wider brush stroke on the park and allowed for RnRC to join in with recording studios.

PizzaPlanet

Many have because they think of DHS as strictly movie related and forgetting the Hollywood of old theme that was the original thought. But, in fairness, when it opened it was pretty much nothing but movie stuff with the exception of the TV one (name escapes me at the moment), however, even that was more an exercise in how green screens were generally used in TV and Movies. The addition of Twilight Zone put a wider brush stroke on the park and allowed for RnRC to join in with recording studios.
Sure Sunset Blvd didn't open until later, but Hollywood Blvd and Echo Lake were there from the start. To quote Michael Eisner's dedication speech from 1989, "We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was—and always will be". It was never just movie stuff.

Goofyernmost

Sure Sunset Blvd didn't open until later, but Hollywood Blvd and Echo Lake were there from the start. To quote Michael Eisner's dedication speech from 1989, "We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was—and always will be". It was never just movie stuff.
I thought that was what I said, but, most of it was movies. I'd say 95% of it.

PizzaPlanet

What do you have in mind. I can't seem to think of many things. Maybe I'm forgetting something.
Well, I'm just saying that both Hollywood Blvd and Echo Lake were heavily themed to Hollywood in its golden age on opening day. I'd say that was much more than 5% of the park in 1989, even though the studio tour, GMR, and Indiana Jones were focused "the movies."

Goofyernmost

Well, I'm just saying that both Hollywood Blvd and Echo Lake were heavily themed to Hollywood in its golden age on opening day. I'd say that was much more than 5% of the park in 1989, even though the studio tour, GMR, and Indiana Jones were focused "the movies."
I don't understand. The focus on Hollywood was the Theme on the park, but, all the basic attractions were always assumed to be connected to the film industry. That was my point TV had one combination attractions with the TV green screen show (SuperStar Television) and other then the sound stages filming TV shows Movies were the central theme until ToT and RnRC. It doesn't really matter what percentage was there anyway. But, I do remember people complaining about RnRC when it first opened because it didn't have anything to do with movies, and my point was it was about "The Hollywood that never was and always will be".

2351metalcloud

It's popular because it is a thrilling roller-coaster. The theme doesn't matter. If they could add a cross-promotional, popular IP, the ride's popularity wouldn't decline and they would fulfill the mandate to inject more IP into the parks. It's a somewhat innocuous mean to an end.

They wouldn't be injecting more IP into the park as they would be replacing one IP with another.

RnRC isn't a great fit in regards to the theme for the general area. It was likely built because for some reason Disney wanted to emulate Universal Studios by having something to do with Rock music in the area like Universal Studios Florida had a Beetlejuice and a Blues Brothers show and would build the Hard Rock Hotel soon after Islands of Adventure was opened. Even the Tower of Terror seems to have been quite probably made with inspiration to a moderate degree from an idea come up with for the area of Islands of Adventure as can be seen discussed here:

http://www.blastoffcomics.com/2014/08/no-batman-is-an-island-part-2/

"The Batcave
-Videopolis style nightclub

The same facade that houses the entrance to the Batman Simulator Ride also serves as the entrance for the Batcave Nightclub. Guests enter Bruce Wayne's Library Conservatory where they are greeted by the Wayne Manor staff. The large room has cathedral ceilings large leather couches and is sumptuously furnished. Cocktails are served while the guests explore the room and its furnishing. After a certin[sic] number of guests have entered the room, the lights will dim and the Batsignal shines through the ceiling skylight. A large framed pictures[sic] slide away to reveal a giant screen TVs[sic] as the music fromthe[sic] club below begins to grow louder. Te[sic] latest videos and visuals come to life on the surrounding screens. The staff usher the guests towards the bookshelves along the back wall. By pulling the wall sconce, the staffers reveal a shining "Sci-Fi" elevator. The guests enter the elevator, and although the elevator appear to descend far into the earths[sic] surface through the use of lights and movement, the elevator only descends one story..."

Last edited:

PizzaPlanet

I don't understand. The focus on Hollywood was the Theme on the park, but, all the basic attractions were always assumed to be connected to the film industry. That was my point TV had one combination attractions with the TV green screen show (SuperStar Television) and other then the sound stages filming TV shows Movies were the central theme until ToT and RnRC. It doesn't really matter what percentage was there anyway. But, I do remember people complaining about RnRC when it first opened because it didn't have anything to do with movies, and my point was it was about "The Hollywood that never was and always will be".
I suppose I get what you're saying, but I stand by my point that if the theme and setting of the park is Hollywood, Hollywood based attractions fit seamlessly. So I guess I agree with your argument from when RnRC opened.

Matt_Black

In my eye, RNRC is expendable (for Marvel, no) but I don't think there's anything wrong with the music theme. With the stage shows and all, you could say DHS is about entertainment in general, as opposed to just film.

Indeed. The Hollywood Walk of Fame includes categories for film, television, radio, recording, and live performances.

BrianLo

Maybe they shouldn't have waited to start the project until 7 1/2 years after they acquired the rights or 2 1/2 years after the first Guardians came out in the theaters.

I'm guessing this is a solid ride, but it's laziness/cheapness pure and simple.

Yes it was dumb they took so long. But the people responsible for that delay are no longer with the company.

This wasn't a decision born out of being lazy (being unable to come up with new Marvel E-tickets... that's still coming for DL)... nor was it actually all that 'cheap'.

It was done because Staggs was inept and literally did nothing and had nothing in the works on the Marvel portfolio. It was done because Chapek entering 5.5 years post marvel acquisition thought it was ridiculous WDI would take another 5.5 years from his 'go'. That's one of many reasons Vaughn got the heave ho.

There is a reason Rohde, when asked by the media, in what way GoTG broke new ground for them. He responded the timeline.

Goofyernmost

I suppose I get what you're saying, but I stand by my point that if the theme and setting of the park is Hollywood, Hollywood based attractions fit seamlessly. So I guess I agree with your argument from when RnRC opened.
That's why I'm confused, that is what I have been saying as well. I was explaining that it started out heavily directed toward movies, which was probably expected, but then they added at least two things that people questioned as being out of theme. That was ToT and RnRC. I always felt that it fit in without having to force the opinion.

BlindChow

Sunset Boulevard works best when the theming is rooted in the 40's and 50's.
I agree, and this is why I always felt RnRC never fit in well with the rest of the area. Hollywood & Sunset Boulevards have decidedly not been themed to feel like you're in modern L.A.

Bartattack

Won't ever happen... but one can dream, no?
Rocketeer 'n Rollercoaster...
rock(eteer) 'n rollercoaster copy.jpg

WDWTank

Instead of returning Rock n Roller Coaster why not choose a new band? Van Halen? Kiss? Metallica? But the tone and rhythm of Aerosmith music perfectly fits with the tone and rhythm of the Ride :)
Also if it is already popular then why do they want to retheme it? I thought they learned from that mistake with Guardians?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom