RnRC New Theme Discussion

Tavernacle12

Why does RnRC need to be changed? Is it not a good attraction as-is?

I've been checking the app recently and it often has the longest wait in the park. Clearly still a popular ride.

It doesn't need to be changed, but it was (and still is) a much better alternative to altering Tower Of Terror to insert Guardians. If a ride has to die for Guardians, it's the one that would be least 'ruined' as much of it would be able to remain, as opposed to Tower or Ellen.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
It doesn't need to be changed, but it was (and still is) a much better alternative to altering Tower Of Terror to insert Guardians. If a ride has to die for Guardians, it's the one that would be least 'ruined' as much of it would be able to remain, as opposed to Tower or Ellen.

There are better options than shoehorning an IP onto an already popular ride. We don't need another Mission: Cash Grab.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Why does RnRC need to be changed? Is it not a good attraction as-is?

I've been checking the app recently and it often has the longest wait in the park. Clearly still a popular ride.
It's popular because it is a thrilling roller-coaster. The theme doesn't matter. If they could add a cross-promotional, popular IP, the ride's popularity wouldn't decline and they would fulfill the mandate to inject more IP into the parks. It's a somewhat innocuous mean to an end.

PizzaPlanet

It's popular because it is a thrilling roller-coaster. The theme doesn't matter. If they could add a cross-promotional, popular IP, the ride's popularity wouldn't decline and they would fulfill the mandate to inject more IP into the parks. It's a somewhat innocuous mean to an end.
But some of us enjoy the Rock and Roll theme, and how it actually fits in the Hollywood setting. In fact, this is the same argument that destroyed DCA's Tower. "It's popular because it is a thrilling drop-ride."

NothingRhymeswithOrange

My hope for this ride's new theme would have to be a GOTG theme. The ride system fits well, new cars can be themed to Star Lord's ship, speaker system in the head rests can play awesome mix songs, queue can be themed to the Nova Corp, and the ride is already dark so theming it to space wont take that long. What would be needed is for this ride to have its queue reassigned to the opposite side of the building so that Hollywood Blvd can keep its theming cohesive, keeping ToT theme the same. Once SWL opens, Launch Bay/animation area can be used to have a Marvel themed land with the small amount of IPs Disney can currently use that won't violate the Uni contract (Dr. Strange, Capt Marvel, and whoever else they have planed in Phase 4 films)

Tavernacle12

There are better options than shoehorning an IP onto an already popular ride. We don't need another Mission: Cash Grab.

Better options, yes, but Disney isn't interested in them. If they're going to Mission: Cash Grab an older ride, let it be a ride that won't be ruined by the alteration.

Goofyernmost

Better options, yes, but Disney isn't interested in them. If they're going to Mission: Cash Grab an older ride, let it be a ride that won't be ruined by the alteration.
Mission: Cash Grab?? What an interesting viewpoint, and I've seen it repeated many, many times. And like in the movie line, "I don't think you know what that word(s) means". Let's take it verbally as it sits. That would be a focus on the end goal of making money, I would think! Isn't that the goal of any business? And since the rides are already running at capacity, how would the cash flow be improved by spending money to make more? In the case of the switch over from Horizons to M:S it seems that they took something that, at best, had a minimal draw and attempted to replace it with something that would gain ridership. Now, circumstances made it so that didn't happen like they wanted it to and the fact that it did have sponsorship to build something new, seems to me to be a very wise business choice at the time. Why is that bad? Not as a defense, but, as a just the way it is thing. Change is always needed and you can bet that all the companies that made a fortune selling horse drawn buggies at the end of the 19th century are no longer around if they didn't respond to demand when the horseless carriage was developed.

My opinion is to just let them do what they feel they want to do with their company. When it gets so bad that none of us ever wants to go there again, then they will regret it... until then they will just continue to make fistfuls of money and some of us will continue to call it a Cash Grab even though we are willingly hold it out for them to grab.

RSoxNo1

Indeed. And unfortunately they were proven correct with Guardians Tower.
I get it when it's propping up a dying attraction. While thematically it didn't make sense for Maelstrom, the logic of adding an IP to "fix" the attraction is easier than simply creating a better thematically appropriate attraction. At RnRC and Tower in DCA though, these weren't attractions in need of being propped up.

Kman101

I get it when it's propping up a dying attraction. While thematically it didn't make sense for Maelstrom, the logic of adding an IP to "fix" the attraction is easier than simply creating a better thematically appropriate attraction. At RnRC and Tower in DCA though, these weren't attractions in need of being propped up.

RnRC as a coaster would be popular no matter what theme. It could have no theme inside and people would line up just the same. I like Aerosmith and the set up for the ride but I see no harm in something new going there. Just because something doesn't "need" an update, it wouldn't be the worst to see it changed. Is it a priority and should it be one? No. And some see retheming it to Guardians as the lesser of the evils we've been presented with. I get it. I'd rather they spend money elsewhere than retheme RnRc but the Aerosmith theme won't last forever. JMO. I'd personally prefer a variety of rock and roll artists used in the attraction.

There's a lot that can be done with the coaster. But is it fine as it? Sure. But people will line up for a coaster regardless of the theme. Is it getting the lines it does because Aerosmith as a theme is drawing them there? Is it getting the lines it does because the park needs a heckuva lot more to do? Probably a bit of both.

RSoxNo1

RnRC as a coaster would be popular no matter what theme. It could have no theme inside and people would line up just the same. I like Aerosmith and the set up for the ride but I see no harm in something new going there. Just because something doesn't "need" an update, it wouldn't be the worst to see it changed. Is it a priority and should it be one? No. And some see retheming it to Guardians as the lesser of the evils we've been presented with. I get it. I'd rather they spend money elsewhere than retheme RnRc but the Aerosmith theme won't last forever. JMO. I'd personally prefer a variety of rock and roll artists used in the attraction.

There's a lot that can be done with the coaster. But is it fine as it? Sure. But people will line up for a coaster regardless of the theme. Is it getting the lines it does because Aerosmith as a theme is drawing them there? Is it getting the lines it does because the park needs a heckuva lot more to do? Probably a bit of both.
I wouldn't oppose a Guardians makeover to RnRC but a new build would be preferred.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A "rock and roll" themed ride fits into Hollywood? Simply because there are a lot of recording studios there?

Is Hollywood Studios about the movie (and TV) industry which happens to be in Hollywood, or about the geographical location? If it's about the geographical location, then, sure, let's have rock and roll attractions. In fact, let's add several more. What other rock bands can we build a ride around? And also...a Griffin Observatory planetarium... and haute couture shops with lots of fashion museums and attractions. Center Stage can hold runway model competitions.

If Hollywood Studios is about the movie (and TV) industry and not the geographical location, then a Rock and Roll themed attraction was always out of place.

FigmentForver96

A "rock and roll" themed ride fits into Hollywood? Simply because there are a lot of recording studios there?

Is Hollywood Studios about the movie (and TV) industry which happens to be in Hollywood, or about the geographical location? If it's about the geographical location, then, sure, let's have rock and roll attractions. In fact, let's add several more. What other rock bands can we build a ride around? And also...a Griffin Observatory planetarium... and haute couture shops with lots of fashion museums and attractions. Center Stage can hold runway model competitions.

If Hollywood Studios is about the movie (and TV) industry and not the geographical location, then a Rock and Roll themed attraction was always out of place.
I feel like music has just a place in the theme of Hollywood then TV does. A land would have been better but the theme doesn't really break there.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I feel like music has just a place in the theme of Hollywood then TV does. A land would have been better but the theme doesn't really break there.

So, you'd be OK with a Beatles' psychedelic slow boat ride and a 'N Sync centrifugal spinnner and a Madonna touring train in DHS?

Goofyernmost

Lets do a petition for that to happen. Perfect place... Great Britain in World Showcase.:happy::inlove::D
Want a good name for it... how about "The Magical Mystery Tour". I wonder how much it would cost Disney for the rights to do that. Need to do it soon before all us boomers have gone belly up. Just make sure that there is a lot of scooter parking available.

Matt_Black

You know Aerosmith has appeared in numerous films, including Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club, Wayne's World 2, The Polar Express, and more?

Herbie

In my eye, RNRC is expendable (for Marvel, no) but I don't think there's anything wrong with the music theme. With the stage shows and all, you could say DHS is about entertainment in general, as opposed to just film.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Right. But the goal wasn't to "prop it up." The goal was to get a Marvel E-ticket into California quickly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom