Rivers of America (plus Railroad & Dioramas) Re-Imagineered 2017

D

Deleted member 107043

The LA Times is reporting that The Mark Twain Riverboat, Sailing Ship Columbia, Davy Crockett’s Explorer Canoes and the Disneyland Railroad will relaunch July 29,

mickEblu

The LA Times is reporting that The Mark Twain Riverboat, Sailing Ship Columbia, Davy Crockett’s Explorer Canoes and the Disneyland Railroad will relaunch July 29,

How about Big Thunder BBQ? I regret never trying it in my adult life when I could devour many more ribs than when I was a young brat. I think the last time I tried it when I was 12 or so.

Anyway is SWL going to have BBQ? Seems like it it would make more sense than burgers and hot dogs.

JoFu

How about Big Thunder BBQ? I regret never trying it in my adult life when I could devour many more ribs than when I was a young brat. I think the last time I tried it when I was 12 or so.

Anyway is SWL going to have BBQ? Seems like it it would make more sense than burgers and hot dogs.
Mmmmm, the smoke they get into the tauntaun brisket is incredible and the rub is out of this galaxy!

Curious Constance

upload_2017-7-22_9-45-18.jpeg

nevol

The rocks are quite warmer and the impression overall is much drier than I anticipated. This has been the case for months, as the concept art showed colder rocks on the left side of the image, more like the granite/Grizzly Peak look than this. Neutral observation. But, while I know they are likely still adjusting the fountains, some of the ones they've had running look like they're just dribbling out water while others look like a fire hose and very unrealistic.

George Lucas on a Bench

20170721_150608.jpg

This is very weird looking. It's like something from the Roller Coaster Tycoon series of video games brought to life. It looks illogical and awkward in a way that's not even typical of Disneyland. I don't know why there would be a wagon wedged between a ramp and a walkway. It's exactly how you would "theme" things in that video game. You'd just dump it on a random square and the little people would walk by thinking, "Nice scenery!"

nevol

20170721_150608.jpg

This is very weird looking. It's like something from the Roller Coaster Tycoon series of video games brought to life. It looks illogical and awkward in a way that's not even typical of Disneyland. I don't know why there would be a wagon wedged between a ramp and a walkway. It's exactly how you would "theme" things in that video game. You'd just dump it on a random square and the little people would walk by thinking, "Nice scenery!"

Kind of think its cute, but see what you're saying. Curious what/if there is any story or symbolic explanation for this or if its just a roller coaster tycoon prop, as you say, in the southwestern theming packing. If it was in the guest corridor though people would expect it to be selling popcorn. What's worse is the fence along the retaining wall, that itself is kind of bizarre already. not sure why they had to put a big black railing up there in the mid section.

TP2000

Original Poster
Kind of think its cute, but see what you're saying. Curious what/if there is any story or symbolic explanation for this or if its just a roller coaster tycoon prop, as you say, in the southwestern theming packing. If it was in the guest corridor though people would expect it to be selling popcorn. What's worse is the fence along the retaining wall, that itself is kind of bizarre already. not sure why they had to put a big black railing up there in the mid section.

The black railings are there to comply with California workplace fall protection regulations. If they weren't there, no gardeners could go up there to tend to the plants, plumbers couldn't go fix the sprinklers, etc.

The stage coach appears to be one of the original ones they used to display on the Big Thunder Trail since the 50th.
55Stagecoach.JPG

Interestingly though, they've removed the original "Disneyland Stage Lines" phrasing and all the historically inaccurate filigree and fancy trim. This new stage coach appears to be propped out and painted as though it's historically accurate to the 1850's or 60's, and not a kitschy display of Disneyland nostalgia. A noticeable change of tone there, to be sure.

wdrive

The black railings are there to comply with California workplace fall protection regulations. If they weren't there, no gardeners could go up there to tend to the plants, plumbers couldn't go fix the sprinklers, etc.

Surely they could have factored fall protection safety into the design? Or at the very least have themed the railings?

D

Deleted member 107043

is it just me or do those waterfalls look a bit weak. I was expecting waterfalls that roared down those mountains like the ones in grizzley trail

It's not just you. I had the impression from the concept art that the whole thing would be much more dramatic than it turned out to be. Don't get me wrong, it's huge improvement, but like you said Grizzly Trail is more impressive, at least from what I can tell from photos. The falls and rockwork they've built for ROA are very old school Disneyland to me - diminutive in scale, reminiscent of Cascade Peak or Skull Rock Cove.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom