Rivers of America (plus Railroad & Dioramas) Re-Imagineered 2017

TP2000

Original Poster
Here's the first blog post confirming the return of the ROA this summer from perky Erin Glover:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...o-disneyland-park-this-summer-with-new-magic/

The Rivers of America will continue to celebrate the Mississippi, Columbia, Missouri and Rio Grande rivers, enhanced now with a new Columbia Gorge section, highlighted by thundering waterfalls – signaling the return of large waterfalls to the rivers. Longtime Disneyland park fans will remember Big Thunder River Waterfall and Twin Sisters Waterfall; five spectacular new waterfalls along the Rivers of America harken back to these favorites – all on display for guests aboard the Mark Twain Riverboat, Sailing Ship Columbia and Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes.

In addition to the new waterfalls, Disneyland park fans will spot some familiar faces along the Rivers of America as well as throwbacks to Frontierland’s past. The Indian Village, now in a new location, will include a more prominently featured Shaman, seen telling the story of how the hummingbird taught the Indian chief to make a flute.

No real news here for those of us who have been watching this closely other than the confirmation that there will be five waterfalls. Still no opening date. I'm betting on or around Independence Day or Disneyland's anniversary, July 17.

Wow, thanks! There's actually some good nuggets of information in here from perky-Perky-PERKY! Erin Glover.

I like that the Indian Village is returning, and the Indian Shaman is still going to be featured prominently. I think this is the first time they've acknowledged what the story is he is telling to his Indian braves; how the hummingbird taught the Chief to make a flute. The CM's on the Canoes always would tell you that the Shaman was "telling the story of how the churro came to their people". :rolleyes:

And with the friendly Indian Chief taking up residence on the rockwork they are building now just past the first trestle, that should offer up enough familiar scenes that this section of the river will seem familiar and yet noticeably upgraded and better to Disneyland visitors.

And "large" and "thundering" waterfalls returning to the Rivers of America! 19 years after Paul Pressler killed them all off to save a few bucks. My how things have changed.

This is all great news. It's a visual and aesthetic improvement that will also tell a better story. Walt would like this.

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
Wouldn't you know it, our favorite lady blogger offers up a fun new video from Friday afternoon.

What's around that river bend?!?

britain

I love the Lincoln log pillar under that bridge

I think it's kind of crazy that they have scaffolding standing in the water. You'd think that they'd wait to fill the river until they were all done with all rock work, but I guess operations needs the water now.

NobodyElse

I think it's kind of crazy that they have scaffolding standing in the water.

As long as the base is secure and sound, it's not a problem.

Don't forget, they did this at DCA:
rockin_2002dm06.jpg

TP2000

Original Poster
I've re-read that Disney Parks Blog post from Friday. While it refuses to give an opening date except for "Summer", it has some great information. https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...o-disneyland-park-this-summer-with-new-magic/

The Indian Chief is obviously returning on that new cliffside they are building past the waterfalls. And the Indian Village itself, which we can't see yet, is being plussed up. From the official Disney Parks Blog... "The Indian Village, now in a new location, will include a more prominently featured Shaman, seen telling the story of how the hummingbird taught the Indian chief to make a flute."

What I also find interesting is the Parks Blog explanation about a plussed up section dedicated to the mighty Columbia River of the Great Pacific Northwest. (The river was named after the real Columbia sailing ship that was trading with the Salish Indians there, and that's why Disneyland chose the Columbia as part of the "hard facts that created America" in Disneyland's mission statement)

Here's the Parks Blog statement on the Columbia River...
"The Rivers of America will continue to celebrate the Mississippi, Columbia, Missouri and Rio Grande rivers, enhanced now with a new Columbia Gorge section, highlighted by thundering waterfalls – signaling the return of large waterfalls to the rivers."

As our native Oregonian here @Curious Constance knows, the Columbia River Gorge today is beautiful, just a few miles east of Portland.
columbia_gorge_6-15-13_5d3_003.jpg

But back in the 1930's its massive waterfalls were tamed by hydroelectric dams. For thousands of years before the 1930's, the Salish-speaking Indians of various tribes would catch salmon at those falls, and they were truly broad and massive waterfalls.
CelioFalls.jpg

The only waterfalls left today are the tall, thin ones that dive over the sides of the cliffs along the Gorge. Like this one at Multnomah Falls Lodge, a famous freeway vista spot and lodge that Portlanders drive out to for Sunday Brunch.
7cc77ef779b92d451f9718901f305ee8.jpg

I assume that the goal here will be to recreate the pre-1930's waterfalls found along the Columbia River Gorge, before the big dams arrived and tamed the river. But you have to hand it to WDI, as it's quite a bold attempt at recreating something so massive and thundering as the waterfalls found along the Columbia River Gorge.

Although, I have a feeling perky Jennifer Fickley-Baker sitting in her Celebration, Florida sterile cubicle farm across the parking lot from Applebee's has no idea what the Columbia River Gorge is or what it looks like. Keep on typing Jenn! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

nevol

Thanks for sharing. Now I can do myself a favor and imagine that the hungry bear is this brunch spot near the Columbia River rather than just a theme park quick service :). Really more excited about the ROA work, big thunder trail, and Fantasmic than anything else going on at the resort this summer.

TP2000

Original Poster
With all this talk about Guardians of the Galaxy this week, our favorite lady blogger reminds us today that things are still going full speed ahead on the other side of the Resort at the Rivers of America. From Tuesday afternoon...

At the 1:00 minute mark, we've got a good view of the funky new trestle design coming out from behind the Hungry Bear patio over the westernmost pathway into Star Wars Land. That's trestle architecture we've never seen on Disneyland Railroad, or any Disneyland-style castle park railroad anywhere.

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

I wonder if that bridge structure was picked because of the location. That area is where the walkway into the land is, because of that the Berm is not present so they were not able to add lots of tall trees. A tall bridge structure will help hide the siteline issues from the eatery and boats. Hopefully it helps block the very bright and visible parking structure. They also added another curved wall north/west of thebtrack and back filled it with dirt. Looks like they are trying to hide and possible view of the parking structure from that area without the Berm

Monorail_Orange

Possibly they are going to make it a covered bridge. Some of them are open on the sides and just have a roof.
I think it's more likely to remain an open trestle. As stated above, they are using the wooden superstructure to hide sightlines. Plus, when you consider things like the steam and burned oil (typically No. 2 diesel) exhaust from the locomotives, putting a cover over a trestle like that doesn't seem wise. It would be a maintenance nightmare, for starters.

SSG

I've re-read that Disney Parks Blog post from Friday. While it refuses to give an opening date except for "Summer", it has some great information. https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...o-disneyland-park-this-summer-with-new-magic/

The Indian Chief is obviously returning on that new cliffside they are building past the waterfalls. And the Indian Village itself, which we can't see yet, is being plussed up. From the official Disney Parks Blog... "The Indian Village, now in a new location, will include a more prominently featured Shaman, seen telling the story of how the hummingbird taught the Indian chief to make a flute."

What I also find interesting is the Parks Blog explanation about a plussed up section dedicated to the mighty Columbia River of the Great Pacific Northwest. (The river was named after the real Columbia sailing ship that was trading with the Salish Indians there, and that's why Disneyland chose the Columbia as part of the "hard facts that created America" in Disneyland's mission statement)

Here's the Parks Blog statement on the Columbia River...
"The Rivers of America will continue to celebrate the Mississippi, Columbia, Missouri and Rio Grande rivers, enhanced now with a new Columbia Gorge section, highlighted by thundering waterfalls – signaling the return of large waterfalls to the rivers."

As our native Oregonian here @Curious Constance knows, the Columbia River Gorge today is beautiful, just a few miles east of Portland.
columbia_gorge_6-15-13_5d3_003.jpg

But back in the 1930's its massive waterfalls were tamed by hydroelectric dams. For thousands of years before the 1930's, the Salish-speaking Indians of various tribes would catch salmon at those falls, and they were truly broad and massive waterfalls.
CelioFalls.jpg

The only waterfalls left today are the tall, thin ones that dive over the sides of the cliffs along the Gorge. Like this one at Multnomah Falls Lodge, a famous freeway vista spot and lodge that Portlanders drive out to for Sunday Brunch.
7cc77ef779b92d451f9718901f305ee8.jpg

I assume that the goal here will be to recreate the pre-1930's waterfalls found along the Columbia River Gorge, before the big dams arrived and tamed the river. But you have to hand it to WDI, as it's quite a bold attempt at recreating something so massive and thundering as the waterfalls found along the Columbia River Gorge.

Although, I have a feeling perky Jennifer Fickley-Baker sitting in her Celebration, Florida sterile cubicle farm across the parking lot from Applebee's has no idea what the Columbia River Gorge is or what it looks like. Keep on typing Jenn! :rolleyes:

Given the space limits I would guess that all five can't be massive untamed falls. I'd guess one as a focal point and something like this for the others, perhaps? Waterfall to the passengers' left, running under the train trestle and spilling into the ROA.

gorge.jpg

D

Deleted member 107043

With all this talk about Guardians of the Galaxy this week, our favorite lady blogger reminds us today that things are still going full speed ahead on the other side of the Resort at the Rivers of America. From Tuesday afternoon...

At the 1:00 minute mark, we've got a good view of the funky new trestle design coming out from behind the Hungry Bear patio over the westernmost pathway into Star Wars Land. That's trestle architecture we've never seen on Disneyland Railroad, or any Disneyland-style castle park railroad anywhere.

I heard the Mark Twain near the start of the video! :happy:

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious Constance

Given the space limits I would guess that all five can't be massive untamed falls. I'd guess one as a focal point and something like this for the others, perhaps? Waterfall to the passengers' left, running under the train trestle and spilling into the ROA.

View attachment 206745

If Disneyland has a faux Multnomah Falls, I'll punch myself several times out of sheer excitement.

I LOVE MULTNOMAH FALLS!!!! We've been there several times.

TP2000

Original Poster

True. But the point is made that it is impossible to recreate the scale and grandeur of the Columbia River Gorge at Disneyland. I'm sure a cubicle drone in WDI, or even worse someone in a Social Media Cubicle Farm in Anaheim or Florida, thought it was good copy to claim Disneyland was creating a new river section to look like the "Columbia River Gorge". But the reality here is that they are just adding back five new waterfalls to the river; a couple will be kind of big like they had in the 20th century, and a couple will be kind of small like the ones in Critter Country or at Snow White's Grotto.

The full grandeur of Multnomah Falls is 620 feet tall, as seen by Portland hipsters from an autumn brunch table at Multnomah Falls Lodge.
Stunning-Picture-Of-Multnomah-falls-Oregon.jpg

If Disneyland has a faux Multnomah Falls, I'll punch myself several times out of sheer excitement.I LOVE MULTNOMAH FALLS!!!! We've been there several times.

It is fabulous, and one of America's most picturesque waterfalls. But I think a lot of Oregonians like yourself will find Disneyland's version to be dramatically smaller and less grand. I can just imagine the snarky editorial in the Portland Oregonian newspaper this summer if Disneyland continues to insist they've recreated the Columbia River Gorge. :D

Andrew M

Absolutely love the attention to detail from a Structural Engineering standpoint on these bridges. This one looks like an exact replica of a 19th Century Wooden Truss, like this one from 1881 on the Durango & Silverton in Colorado.
IMG_6015.JPG

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom