River Country Status

montyz81

Original Poster
I know they filled the pool in back in September. I think the park is in close proximity to the new DVC buildings for WL. Has there been any more work to re-purpose the land? Has anyone heard if and what else might be done with this land?

the.dreamfinder

There's a proposal to sit a new resort on the site but it seems to have gone very quiet.
The DVC proposal that leaked a couple years ago or something new? WDW could use more moderate rooms and the Wilderness Junction plans are collecting dust in the WDI archives.
EDIT: leaked DVC resort plans from a couple years back, via @attractionleaks
IMG_0020.PNG

IMG_0021.PNG

IMG_0023.PNG

OliveMcFly

I hate seeing it sit there like that and getting worse. It's time to get rid of it. The bodies of water are separate correct? The "watering hole" water went over into Bay Lake?

FettFan

I'm wondering with the rise of these big E-ticket lands (Avatar, Star Wars, Toy Story), the parking expansion being built where the Speedway once stood, and the new competition from Universal's Volcano Bay if we might see a new water park sometime in the next decade.

21stamps

Nice...

But this park in no way fits in 2017. Much would've had to change. Just look at all the changes in the industry from the 1980's to today. Far more strict standards in the industry...and with such a lawsuit happy society, this park would've been plagued by them.

I was at a dinner Saturday night and we were discussing this actually. The convo started out about playgrounds.. how different they are today, and how "unsafe" they were when we were kids. And then we talked about River Country. I absolutely loved it as a child.. but in today's lawsuit happy and fearful society, it could no longer exist.. even if all of the water was heavily chlorinated.

Lucky for us, there are still a few small rivers where I can take my child kayaking, and climb up a tree to a rope swing :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I hate seeing it sit there like that and getting worse. It's time to get rid of it. The bodies of water are separate correct? The "watering hole" water went over into Bay Lake?
Disney will not and really can't touch it until they are ready to build something on top of it. If they use even a small section of something existing on the site any new construction can be classified as a remodel. For a commercial property, doing so can save 6-7 figures worth of permitting, legal and impact fees.

*Piglet*

Don't really know what River Country is but Mom and Dad have told me stories about the water slides and stuff. Hope they can put something cool there or a nice new resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom