River Belle Terrace goes table service as of Feb 2nd

D

Deleted member 107043

I stopped eating at RiverBelle Terrace sometime during the Reagan era. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the last Disneyland restaurant that hasn't had a major refurbishment in the last 30 years?

The interior of The Riverbelle Terrace is classic 1970's theme park interior architecture: just enough detail to give the impression that you're supposed to be in the past, but not lavish enough to completely immerse guests in the story. It's the sort of themeing that parks like Marriott's Great America, Magic Mountain, and Kings Island managed to do very well. Disney tried to pull something like this off at DCA when it first opened (most notably around Paradise Pier) and fans soundly rejected it and for good reason.

On a related note, I don't think the French Market has been touched in decades either. I hadn't been there in years and on my last visit I walked through and it looked the same as it did when I was in high school in the late 70s early 80s.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 107043

John Frost, writer at the Disney Blog had this to say about the change.

"Disneyland guests are demanding more sit down restaurants. At least that’s the message sent by this most recent change. To be fair, I did notice relatively long waits for the sit-down locations when I was at the park. I think it’s also the case that America’s tastes in breakfasts has changed. Rancho del Zocolo will now handle the need for breakfast in the park. It will keep some River Belle favorites, but add some Mexican-inspired favorites."

http://thedisneyblog.com/2015/11/20...o-end-breakfast-menu-switch-to-table-service/

Sounds like a reasonable guess and in line with DLR's apparent shift towards a focus on higher end experiences and price points.

TP2000

The interior of The Riverbelle Terrace is classic 1970's theme park interior architecture: just enough detail to give the impression that you're supposed to be in the past, but not lavish enough to completely immerse guests in the story. It's the sort of themeing that parks like Marriott's Great America, Magic Mountain, and Kings Island managed to do very well.

That's a brilliant assessment, and exactly what the River Belle Terrace reminds me of. Compare the circa 1970 interior design of River Belle Terrace to 21st century versions like Fiddler, Fifer & Practical or Carthay Circle; the 21st century interiors go much further in creating a themed environment.

A great reminder that while we all long for the past, Imagineering's Disneyland design standards of the 1960's and 70's were often modest and could be downright cheap looking, especially the interiors.

Don't get me started on what the interiors of the Main Street USA shops looked like in the 1960's and 70's; it would cause 21st century fans to faint in shock.

As for changing breakfast tastes, a valid argument could be made that 21st century Americans are grabbing breakfast on the go from the major Starbucks locations at the park entrances and Downtown Disney, or they are using their in-room coffee makers and mini fridges to create a breakfast in their own room upon waking. The in-room coffee maker didn't exist until the 1990's, and didn't exist at all at the Disneyland Hotel until the last big refurb in 2010-2011.

Many Americans don't have the want or the need to sit at a table for 30 minutes to eat pancakes and eggs and drink a cup of Folgers Crystals.

180º

The only problem with redoing Plaza Inn is that Kim Irvine would be in charge and it would become an art nouveau mess. After her horrifying track record, I'd prefer everything be left as is until she retires so as to avoid more Market Houses and New Orleans Squares.
She already did, a few years back. The current Plaza Inn interior is her design. I rather like it too. :)

Longhairbear

That's a brilliant assessment, and exactly what the River Belle Terrace reminds me of. Compare the circa 1970 interior design of River Belle Terrace to 21st century versions like Fiddler, Fifer & Practical or Carthay Circle; the 21st century interiors go much further in creating a themed environment.

A great reminder that while we all long for the past, Imagineering's Disneyland design standards of the 1960's and 70's were often modest and could be downright cheap looking, especially the interiors.

Don't get me started on what the interiors of the Main Street USA shops looked like in the 1960's and 70's; it would cause 21st century fans to faint in shock.

As for changing breakfast tastes, a valid argument could be made that 21st century Americans are grabbing breakfast on the go from the major Starbucks locations at the park entrances and Downtown Disney, or they are using their in-room coffee makers and mini fridges to create a breakfast in their own room upon waking. The in-room coffee maker didn't exist until the 1990's, and didn't exist at all at the Disneyland Hotel until the last big refurb in 2010-2011.

Many Americans don't have the want or the need to sit at a table for 30 minutes to eat pancakes and eggs and drink a cup of Folgers Crystals.
I agree with you. We still aren't fond of the in room coffee makers, and bring a travel coffee maker, coffee, creamer etc. When we stay at the DVC villa, there is a regular coffee maker. One of us usually runs down to White Water Snacks to get a muffin, cereal and milk etc. when staying at GC, or VGC. When at the other hotels we do basically the same, or splurge and get room service. We never have breakfast in the parks.
On very rare occasions when in a DVC Villa with a full kitchen, we have brought ingredients to make Eggs Benedict, scrambled eggs,or omelettes with English Muffins or toast.
We no longer do the commando rush around/ rope drop in favor of relaxing.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom