RIP The Great Movie Ride

Goofyernmost

First Disney told us that the Sorcerer's Hat was being removed so that the Chinese Theater would be the center of focus.

Then after the hat was removed, they put up a loud dance stage (must be nice dining at the Brown Derby now).

Then they removed the stunt car show, the backlot tour, and the Osbourne Christmas lights.

And now the GAMR.

They ought to change the name of the entire park from Hollywood Studios to 'Star Wars - Like it or Leave'.
I think you are overreacting just a little. Yes, they did get rid of the hat and the theater came back into focus. The new show is not supposed to change the exterior of the building, so it will still be the focus, just a different ride. The dance stage had been gone a while now and has remained a movable temporary area for random entertainment.

The car show Lights, Action, etc. didn't even show up until around 2005 so that replaced part of the original backlot tour. Mostly residential street. The Backlot tour was greatly shorted when that was built and wasn't anything like it was when the park opened. The Osbourne Lights were also a late arrival to the scene. BTW, the proper acronym for The Great Movie Ride is either TGMR or GMR, not GAMR. That sounds like a video game.

My point is that the nostalgia part of any of the parks starts whenever your first visit was. There are as many different points for that as there are people that visit the park. The minute you first walk into a park is the starting point of your individual nostalgia. TGMR was great, and I will miss it, but, there is a good chance that it's replacement might just be very good and enjoyable. I intend to find that out, but, not until it opens. Speculation means nothing. Actual experience is how one should be judging things. Star Wars is going to have a good sized presence in the park but it is in the far corner and nowhere near the only focus. Or at least not a whole lot more then what it has had there for years now.

Last edited:

PrincessJulia1207

To mark the closing of The Great Movie Ride at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Disney is producing some special commemorative merchandise before the attraction fades to black on August 13th.
bj9K8SD.jpg

The merchandise will be released at Walt Disney World late next week, while some of it will be available online through the Disney Parks online store starting August 10th, 2017.

and none for Ellen DeGeneres byeeeee :hilarious:

PrincessJulia1207

For those who have never seen Footlight Parade. Here is the scene leading up to the 'Human Waterfall' which is seen in the GMR

Remember this is ALL LIVE ACTION no digital effects or clever editing. After you see this you will understand just why Busby Berkley is held in awe even today.

tbh the violin part in this number would've much cooler to see in GMR (skip to 2:40)

Wendy Pleakley

It's always a shame to lose something that falls into "they don't make rides like that anymore" category.

This kind of attraction, with huge sets and a large cast of animatronics, is becoming an endangered species.

I'm not super passionate about this specific ride, but I acknowledge what made it a classic and cringe a little bit knowing a screen based attraction will take its place.

HansGruber

I don’t understand the logic behind this closing. It’s one of the few HS rides/ attractions that actually holds true to the theme of the entire park!

I get the self-promotion with Toy Story and Star Wars Lands….but it’s so incredibly disingenuous to name a park HOLLYWOOD Studio and then axe stuff that actually resembles Hollywood: Studio Backlot Tour, Extreme Stunt Show, Great Movie Ride, Monster Sound Show, etc.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I don’t understand the logic behind this closing. It’s one of the few HS rides/ attractions that actually holds true to the theme of the entire park!

I get the self-promotion with Toy Story and Star Wars Lands….but it’s so incredibly disingenuous to name a park HOLLYWOOD Studio and then axe stuff that actually resembles Hollywood: Studio Backlot Tour, Extreme Stunt Show, Great Movie Ride, Monster Sound Show, etc.
Because the GMR can't help them peddle new merchandise for Mickey, Minnie, et al....

Goofyernmost

In case no one has noticed, the theme as well as the name are about to change. The theme of GMR is the Hollywood of old, it appears that the new one is going to lean much closer to modern movies. At the time of the birth of DHS (Disney/MGM), it was a working studio. It is no longer and hasn't been for many years now. It had to change eventually and now is that time.

Megatronus

Footlight Parade is just one of the films choreographed by Busby Berkley probably the greatest choreographer of all time. Thats why its featured in the rode

I won't deny his talent. I am just saying that in the grand scheme of things, most people go by that scene without the foggiest of ideas what they're really looking at. It's great if Disney chose that movie/scene strictly as homage to Mr Berkley, as all aspects of film should honor the greats, but when I think about the ride as a whole and what could have been pulled to make way for revisions, that's just the first one that pops in my mind. It always seemed out of place to me. I would think that choreography isn't exactly on the forefront of most movie goers mind, so the tribute to Footlight Parade and Busby Berkley is going over most folks heads. Although with you and another board member speaking up as educated fans....maybe I'm wrong!

In case no one has noticed, the theme as well as the name are about to change. The theme of GMR is the Hollywood of old, it appears that the new one is going to lean much closer to modern movies. At the time of the birth of DHS (Disney/MGM), it was a working studio. It is no longer and hasn't been for many years now. It had to change eventually and now is that time.

It's a shame they couldn't find a way to bring the two ages of Hollywood to meet in this park. Pay respects to the Golden Age while injecting some of the modern stuff.

Goofyernmost

It's a shame they couldn't find a way to bring the two ages of Hollywood to meet in this park. Pay respects to the Golden Age while injecting some of the modern stuff.
I suppose they could, but, why bother? Most of the folks that have even the slightest conscious familiarity with those old movies will have joined Walt in the freezer soon anyway. Then all they will here is where are all the great movies like Zoolander 2?

They will even regret being current and staying with current trends because they will get old and out of fashion soon and require Disney to redo them to something else. At least when they had a historic show, like GMR, they could say, "of course, it's not current... it's history". Star Wars has a chance of staying popular forever, but, even they will need an occasional update.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
For those who have never seen Footlight Parade. Here is the scene leading up to the 'Human Waterfall' which is seen in the GMR

Remember this is ALL LIVE ACTION no digital effects or clever editing. After you see this you will understand just why Busby Berkley is held in awe even today.

He did a nice job capturing the shots, but those woman are super talented and did all the hard work. Wow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom