RIP The Great Movie Ride

danyoung56

I need to find the music! I will miss the FA LA LA LA HOLLYWOOD right in the beginning. I didn't like the change, they took out my Shirley Temple scene :( but I will forever love this ride.

You mean HOOOORAAAYYYY FOOORRRRR Hollywood? Also, refresh my memory - where was Shirley Temple?

Red light is down to timing. There's an audio cue to listen for.

I don't want to be "that guy" that's always disagreeing with you, but I think there's something more than that. I mean, that gunshot and the light "blowing out" are within milliseconds of each other, and there's just no way that the villian could hit this so precisely every time.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't want to be "that guy" that's always disagreeing with you, but I think there's something more than that. I mean, that gunshot and the light "blowing out" are within milliseconds of each other, and there's just no way that the villian could hit this so precisely every time.
I asked a few GMR hosts. They've done it hundreds if not thousands of times. Disagree with them if you wish :)

Last edited:

Megatronus

...this is a prime example of something that could have been updated instead of being replaced ....updated with a new generation of movies for a new generation of people. Why they are choosing to rip it down I don't know ...perhaps they could not get a sponsor to pay for updating it...not sure.

Can't recall off the top of my head, but I think it was Disney that told TCM they were not interested in renewing the contract. Perhaps TCM would have been willing to foot some or all of the bill of updating if it meant renewing. I'm sure they liked having the exposure...? Who knows what was discussed. It's been a while since I've read the news leading to this point, but I almost get the feeling Disney was just done with this, regardless of funding, fan interest, etc. It may also be difficult to get the proper authorization to use certain movies/actors for the ride.

Awesome idea (that would never be possible), but what if for updating the ride with new movies, they did a fan/guest poll. Give people the chance to pick 5 or so new movies to replace some of the more outdated/less interesting ones. That could drum up some interest! Or...maybe I'm alone there.

Goofyernmost

Rant coming....I was lucky enough to be on it last August. The ride was fairly empty. It had become dated. However this is a prime example of something that could have been updated instead of being replaced ....updated with a new generation of movies for a new generation of people. Why they are choosing to rip it down I don't know ...perhaps they could not get a sponsor to pay for updating it...not sure. Further Disney is putting all the apples into turning this into into a Star Wars themed Park. I hope it works out because one dud movie could sort of ruin everything. George Lucas was sort of good about not shoving Star Wars down your throat the way Disney is doing ....I can't help but wonder if people are going to tire of it. If you're not a big Star Wars fan I'm not sure how much the studios has to offer especially at this point. In fact it seems this park like Epcot is becoming just a more vanilla Park in general ...Magic Kingdom 2 if u will.. I guess Epcot will soon be Magic Kingdom 3 . I guess Star Wars has proven itself overtime. But Guardians of the Galaxy? Or that new land they built an animal kingdom... I can't remember the name of the movie and I don't even know anyone who saw it nor anyone is looking forward to the sequels. I'm not saying they are going to do worse or make less money. I'm just saying my guess is for people in their forties or a little older the parks are going to be far less magical then we grew up... what with new attractions that simply project things onto walls and are far less creative than they used to be. It's still probably the leader in being the greatest place on Earth but in my opinion it just doesn't seem like it's as great as it once was...
Once again... the GMR was about movies in the golden era of Hollywood. They were not current to the generation when it opened. It never was about current movies it was about movies from way back when. If people do not know that purpose of the ride then they might as well close it down. People are missing it's mission. Time to put it out of its misery and put some brainless thing in to make the current generation breath heavy.

prfctlyximprct

You mean HOOOORAAAYYYY FOOORRRRR Hollywood? Also, refresh my memory - where was Shirley Temple?

She was in the movie at the end before TCM redid it. :(

Megatronus

Once again... the GMR was about movies in the golden era of Hollywood. They were not current to the generation when it opened. It never was about current movies it was about movies from way back when. If people do not know that purpose of the ride then they might as well close it down. People are missing it's mission. Time to put it out of its misery and put some brainless thing in to make the current generation breath heavy.

Let me preface this with I enjoy classic movies and can fully appreciate the GMR being a nod to classic Hollywood, so I totally get your point and can agree; however, the GMR isn't entirely focused around the Golden Era (1920-1960). There are handfuls of movies represented both on the ride (Man with No Name, Alien, Raiders) and in the video finale that are more recent/modern. At some point, movies made in the 80s are going to fall under the label of classic, right? Why not add to the GMR to include more recent hits that are turning into classics? TCM themselves show plenty of 60s, 70s, and at times, 80s movies. I mean, does ANYONE who goes on the ride know what Footlight Parade is? I know I wouldn't be upset if that was pulled in lieu of another classic movie scene. Perhaps others feel the same? Even if they didn't include more recent films, there are still a plethora of highly regarded classics absent from the ride. Sadly, licensing rights would probably make it nigh impossible for a lot of films, regardless of their era, to be represented in the ride.

In regards to the last part of your post...being part of the new generation...I do like thrill rides. A lot. I can, however, fully appreciate what a ride like the GMR brings to the table. I mean, if your options were to see it re-done to include more late 60s and 70s films vs shutting it down all together, wouldn't you rather the former?

Goofyernmost

Let me preface this with I enjoy classic movies and can fully appreciate the GMR being a nod to classic Hollywood, so I totally get your point and can agree; however, the GMR isn't entirely focused around the Golden Era (1920-1960). There are handfuls of movies represented both on the ride (Man with No Name, Alien, Raiders) and in the video finale that are more recent/modern. At some point, movies made in the 80s are going to fall under the label of classic, right? Why not add to the GMR to include more recent hits that are turning into classics? TCM themselves show plenty of 60s, 70s, and at times, 80s movies. I mean, does ANYONE who goes on the ride know what Footlight Parade is? I know I wouldn't be upset if that was pulled in lieu of another classic movie scene. Perhaps others feel the same? Even if they didn't include more recent films, there are still a plethora of highly regarded classics absent from the ride. Sadly, licensing rights would probably make it nigh impossible for a lot of films, regardless of their era, to be represented in the ride.

In regards to the last part of your post...being part of the new generation...I do like thrill rides. A lot. I can, however, fully appreciate what a ride like the GMR brings to the table. I mean, if your options were to see it re-done to include more late 60s and 70s films vs shutting it down all together, wouldn't you rather the former?
Well, it's all a moot point right now. So, there is no sense in getting all upset and into it. Yes, there were a few more modern ones, but those were just to represent a genre that wasn't easily covered by the older movies. Personally, the only movie that I had ever seen that was represented in GMR was The Wizard of Oz and I was over 40 when GMR opened.

I guess so, it could remain for a while, altered, but, then the entire mission statement would have to change and once that slippery slope of altering to include more recent movies was entered, it would soon be taken out anyway. So, like I said, if it changed that much, it would no longer be the great movie ride. I might have some movies represented, but, the original story and concept would be lost. Why bother. Rip it out and put something new in. Theme parks really only have room for a limited number of nostalgia type experiences. Changing GMR would end the nostalgia part, it would no longer be the ride that people remembered from childhood or first exposure and it would have to build a new audience again just in time to be dated and changed again.

Last edited:

PrincessJulia1207

Rant coming....I was lucky enough to be on it last August. The ride was fairly empty. It had become dated. However this is a prime example of something that could have been updated instead of being replaced ....updated with a new generation of movies for a new generation of people. Why they are choosing to rip it down I don't know ...perhaps they could not get a sponsor to pay for updating it...not sure. Further Disney is putting all the apples into turning this into into a Star Wars themed Park. I hope it works out because one dud movie could sort of ruin everything. George Lucas was sort of good about not shoving Star Wars down your throat the way Disney is doing ....I can't help but wonder if people are going to tire of it. If you're not a big Star Wars fan I'm not sure how much the studios has to offer especially at this point. In fact it seems this park like Epcot is becoming just a more vanilla Park in general ...Magic Kingdom 2 if u will.. I guess Epcot will soon be Magic Kingdom 3 . I guess Star Wars has proven itself overtime. But Guardians of the Galaxy? Or that new land they built an animal kingdom... I can't remember the name of the movie and I don't even know anyone who saw it nor anyone is looking forward to the sequels. I'm not saying they are going to do worse or make less money. I'm just saying my guess is for people in their forties or a little older the parks are going to be far less magical then we grew up... what with new attractions that simply project things onto walls and are far less creative than they used to be. It's still probably the leader in being the greatest place on Earth but in my opinion it just doesn't seem like it's as great as it once was...
this this this :cry:
these are my thoughts exactly wow
i do think we are gonna have franchise overload-whether it's star wars, marvel, or live-action disney remakes
and i still think it's dumb for Disney to incorporate a franchise that hasn't proven to be successful yet ("avatar" sequels are in development) into Animal kingdom

What I'd was originally about and what it could be about are 2 different things. My thoughts were a revamp would be less than $ than a new attraction....unless that attraction is perhaps something like a small generic coaster themed with Mickey and Minnie dressed in 1920s attire....actually..how many ppl have ever even seen mickey on a movie....isnt there a coaster around the corner....

PrincessJulia1207

Good riddance Great Movie Ride! You have been old and tired for over a decade!
vzezJ.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Andsome

For your enjoyment, here are some pics of the exterior and queue from my final ride back in April. Had I known it was going to close as soon as it did, I would've taken plenty during the actual ride itself. :(

Attachments

• 20170402_100931.jpg
    20170402_100931.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20170402_101005.jpg
    20170402_101005.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20170402_101037.jpg
    20170402_101037.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20170402_101052.jpg
    20170402_101052.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20170402_101113.jpg
    20170402_101113.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 31

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom