1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

RIP Disney Infinity

Discussion in 'Disney Video Games' started by peterpanic74, May 10, 2016.

1. mf1972

mf1972 Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but Disney never really seemed to have much success in the video game market.

2. Cmdr_Crimson

Cmdr_Crimson Well-Known Member

The only one that was successful I know of is.......
    .[​IMG]

EJDThree, mf1972 and brb1006 like this.
  3. Rich T

Rich T Well-Known Member

Infinity was their big push to correct that and use all their great IPs under one product. And it was successful; just, apparently, not successful enough for the execs. As just a casual industry observer and fan of the franchise, I think Infinity was wonderful for families, Disney fans and people who love to create their own games. But it was also a bit too "cute" for "hardcore" gamers and too complex and open-ended for casual gamers. You could build amazing things in Infinity, but you had to *work* at it and learn how its clever programming mechanics functioned to get the most out of it.

Infinity was one of the most brilliant things in game history. Its closure leaves a huge gap in the quality family game market.

4. Cmdr_Crimson

Cmdr_Crimson Well-Known Member

I agree and the first they ever tried out this capability is the Toy Story 3 video game that had introduced the Toy Box Game Play..

brb1006 likes this.
  5. bunnyman

bunnyman Well-Known Member

I still miss VMK, so what do I know??

Flippin'Flounder and brb1006 like this.
  6. mf1972

mf1972 Well-Known Member

actually forgot that one. lot of fun

brb1006 likes this.
  7. Wendy Pleakley

Wendy Pleakley Well-Known Member

Disney Infinity was a great concept.

It was a way to release a game for a movie without the need to build a full-fledged game from scratch.

The figures are nice collectibles, regardless of how good the games are.

For me, the biggest drawback was how often they upgraded the software, and made us buy it again. They should have done it such that the game software would always be free (i.e. no need to purchase the 3.0 disc), and just sell the figures and play sets.

brb1006 and NearTheEars like this.
  8. NearTheEars

NearTheEars Well-Known Member

This makes me really sad. The Star Wars and Inside Out play sets are fantastic. And we've had some fun with the new Marvel battleground play set as well (similar to Super Smash Bros.)

We actually don't do too much online with it, but looks like once we play through the all the sets, they'll just become figurines.

9. Wdw62114

Wdw62114 Well-Known Member

Obviously you missed my sarcasm

Flippin'Flounder and brb1006 like this.
  10. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Well-Known Member

Is Disney cancelling the Playmation line of toys as well? We got to play with that on a Disney cruise before it was released and it seemed pretty cool. But since the Amazon price was ~$100 at Christmas and ~$20 now, I'm guessing it hasn't sold well.

11. kermet

kermet Well-Known Member

they officially announced it

12. Twilight_Roxas

Twilight_Roxas Well-Known Member

13. Dead2009

Dead2009 Well-Known Member

Lego Dimensions can easily stake a claim to being the top "#1 toys to life" game.

21stamps likes this.
  14. Twilight_Roxas

Twilight_Roxas Well-Known Member

Here are the characters that were going to join before DI got cancelled. Might update later.

Peter Pan
    Doctor Strange
    SpiderGwen
    Goofy
    Hera Syndulla

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    brb1006 likes this.
  15. kermet

kermet Well-Known Member

No not goofy i would have bought that

16. Rich T

Rich T Well-Known Member

Would've bought Pan, Strange and Goofy. Last one I purchased was Time (cool figure). Done. Such a pity.

brb1006 likes this.
  17. erasure fan1

erasure fan1 Well-Known Member

And they never will. It was a good idea to farm off the IPs to other developers, but they screwed that up as well by giving it to EA. Infinity was best for the person who likes to create, but the actual game was very weak. I still believe keeping every set separate (aside from the toy box) wasn't what people wanted. I wanted to create a super team of my favorite characters (like marvel ultimate alliance) and go through the game. But heck, you couldn't even use all the marvel people in the marvel sets, that's just lame in my eyes.

Flippin'Flounder likes this.
  18. breakin2

breakin2 Well-Known Member

I agree that was the biggest weakness. I'd love to do Star Wars missions with Mickey and Aladdin. I think that's what people expected and were surprised that you could only do that stuff in Toy Box. I can see parents and kids being very confused by that mechanic.

Fox&Hound and brb1006 like this.
  19. Dead2009

Dead2009 Well-Known Member

Disney Infinity Nears The End As Server Shutdown Dates Announced
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...e-end-as-server-shutdown-dates-announced.aspx

brb1006 likes this.
  20. Disney Dad 3000

Disney Dad 3000 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen if anybody has posted this, but if you've not bought any of the infinity stuff or wanting to add, this is a great time. I knew it was cancelled, but even without the online component in the future I think my son is still going to love growing into it. Plus there are plenty of months to download some of the great toy boxes in the community. Got a lot of it for my son for Christmas.

Virtually all of the 3.0 figures have been on sale at Walmart for 4.96 a piece except for baloo, Alice and dory items I think. Star Wars starter pack was down to 20 and other SW, toy box racing and avengers play sets for 3.0 were like 11-12. I think even the 2.0 starter avengers pack was 20. I would imagine as weeks progress some of the newest stuff will drop too.