RIP Disney Infinity

Cmdr_Crimson

I could be wrong, but Disney never really seemed to have much success in the video game market.

The only one that was successful I know of is.......
pic%5Cbanner%2Findex_006.jpg

Rich T

I could be wrong, but Disney never really seemed to have much success in the video game market.
Infinity was their big push to correct that and use all their great IPs under one product. And it was successful; just, apparently, not successful enough for the execs. As just a casual industry observer and fan of the franchise, I think Infinity was wonderful for families, Disney fans and people who love to create their own games. But it was also a bit too "cute" for "hardcore" gamers and too complex and open-ended for casual gamers. You could build amazing things in Infinity, but you had to *work* at it and learn how its clever programming mechanics functioned to get the most out of it.

Infinity was one of the most brilliant things in game history. Its closure leaves a huge gap in the quality family game market.

Cmdr_Crimson

Infinity was their big push to correct that and use all their great IPs under one product. And it was successful; just, apparently, not successful enough for the execs. As just a casual industry observer and fan of the franchise, I think Infinity was wonderful for families, Disney fans and people who love to create their own games. But it was also a bit too "cute" for "hardcore" gamers and too complex and open-ended for casual gamers. You could build amazing things in Infinity, but you had to *work* at it and learn how its clever programming mechanics functioned to get the most out of it.

Infinity was one of the most brilliant things in game history. Its closure leaves a huge gap in the quality family game market.

I agree and the first they ever tried out this capability is the Toy Story 3 video game that had introduced the Toy Box Game Play..

Wendy Pleakley

Disney Infinity was a great concept.

It was a way to release a game for a movie without the need to build a full-fledged game from scratch.

The figures are nice collectibles, regardless of how good the games are.

For me, the biggest drawback was how often they upgraded the software, and made us buy it again. They should have done it such that the game software would always be free (i.e. no need to purchase the 3.0 disc), and just sell the figures and play sets.

NearTheEars

This makes me really sad. The Star Wars and Inside Out play sets are fantastic. And we've had some fun with the new Marvel battleground play set as well (similar to Super Smash Bros.)

We actually don't do too much online with it, but looks like once we play through the all the sets, they'll just become figurines.

Wdw62114

Its not shanghai listen to this quote
Ben Fritz

✔‎@benfritz

Along with cancellation of "Infinity," Disney is closing Avalanche studio in Utah. Close to 300 jobs will be cut.

The latest Disney Infinity game was Disney Infinity 3.0, which launched in August 2015 for consoles and PC. In March this year, Disney announced that it would not launch Disney 4.0 this year, and instead treat 3.0 as something of a platform that would be continually updated. It seems that is no longer going to be the case.

Later in March, Disney Interactive pulled out of E3 2016, but did not explain why.

Two more Disney Infinity playsets, based on Alice Through the Looking Glass and Finding Dory, are coming in June. However, it sounds like those will be the final two ever released for the game.

In a statement to GameSpot, Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media chairman Jimmy Pitaro explained more of the reasoning behind Disney Infinity's shutdown.

"After a thorough evaluation, we have modified our approach to console gaming and will transition exclusively to a licensing model," he said. "This shift in strategy means we will cease production of Disney Infinity, where the lack of growth in the toys-to-life market, coupled with high development costs, has created a challenging business model. This means that we will be shutting down Avalanche, our internal studio that developed the game. This was a difficult decision that we did not take lightly given the quality of Disney Infinity and its many passionate fans."

There will continue to be video games based on Disney properties, of course, but Disney will no longer publish them. Electronic Arts is making multiple new Star Wars games, including reportedly multiple Battlefront sequels, as well as a third-person game from Titanfall developer Respawn. Additionally, Dead Space developer Visceral Games and new EA studio Motive are also working on Star Wars projects.

Disney Infinity SVP John Blackburn published a statement on the shutdown on the game's website. You can read the full post below.

"By now you may have heard the news that we have made the difficult decision to discontinue production of Disney Infinity. From the beginning, Disney Infinity was built for you--our fans--and I wanted to take a moment to thank you not just for your support over the years, but for creating a community that made Disney Infinity more than just a game.

"Our goal for Disney Infinity was to bring the best of Disney storytelling to life in homes around the world, and with your support we accomplished that. We hope you had as much fun playing the game as we had making it.

"So what's next for Disney Infinity? We have two final retail releases coming, including three new characters from Alice Through the Looking Glass later this month, and the Finding Dory Play Set launching in June.

"And as we turn to the next chapter in our story, I want to thank everyone who helped bring Disney Infinity to life, particularly Disney's Glendale-based production and publishing teams, our external development partners, and of course the incredible Avalanche team for their tireless dedication to this project.

"But most of all, I want to again thank you for making Disney Infinity a part of your lives—and for adding to the Disney legacy by being a part of this community."

For its part, Activision has also said that its toys-to-life game, Skylanders, is underperforming.

Obviously you missed my sarcasm

Kevin_W

Is Disney cancelling the Playmation line of toys as well? We got to play with that on a Disney cruise before it was released and it seemed pretty cool. But since the Amazon price was ~$100 at Christmas and ~$20 now, I'm guessing it hasn't sold well.

Bacon

Can...but won't. Any desire to pour more money into the game has evaporated, especially on figures that would just have been "part of the collection" as opposed to figures I actually would have bought game or no. (Now, if they'd gone with classic animated wonderland figures instead of Tim Burton's...that would've been an insta-buy.)

I just really hope they give the game a final patch to remove any online connectivity requirements. When you think of all the animation, voice work and cleverness that went into each and every figure... it's a shame more people won't get to experience it all.

I'm very glad Baloo saw the light of day-- My vote for all-time best Infinity figure, in-game and out.
they officially announced it

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I'm guessing that, even though it's the #1 Toys-to-Life game, the genre as a whole is declining, and Infinity wasn't making enough money to justify the money they were putting into its ongoing development. What a pity; Infinity's a work of genius, and with more great IP to work with than any other company in the world, Disney could have kept growing Inifinity into something mind-blowingly vast.

On the other hand, no one knows where the game market is headed beyond today's emphasis on mobile. Maybe Disney's smart to go back to licensing their IPs and letting others take the risk of producing games in a quickly-shifting hardware environment.

Lego Dimensions can easily stake a claim to being the top "#1 toys to life" game.

Twilight_Roxas

Here are the characters that were going to join before DI got cancelled. Might update later.

Peter Pan
Doctor Strange
SpiderGwen
Goofy
Hera Syndulla

Last edited:

erasure fan1

And they never will. It was a good idea to farm off the IPs to other developers, but they screwed that up as well by giving it to EA. Infinity was best for the person who likes to create, but the actual game was very weak. I still believe keeping every set separate (aside from the toy box) wasn't what people wanted. I wanted to create a super team of my favorite characters (like marvel ultimate alliance) and go through the game. But heck, you couldn't even use all the marvel people in the marvel sets, that's just lame in my eyes.

breakin2

I agree that was the biggest weakness. I'd love to do Star Wars missions with Mickey and Aladdin. I think that's what people expected and were surprised that you could only do that stuff in Toy Box. I can see parents and kids being very confused by that mechanic.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Disney Infinity Nears The End As Server Shutdown Dates Announced
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...e-end-as-server-shutdown-dates-announced.aspx

Disney Infinity burned bright for its three years of existence. Now, it’s all coming to an end, including the game’s online community support.

In the coming months, services will start to be taken offline in four phases. The first arrives today, with Disney Infinity 2.0 in-game purchases on PC, iOS, Android, and Apple TV versions being turned off. This does not impact Disney Infinity 3.0 yet.

On September 30, the PC, iOS, and Android versions of Disney Infinity 1.0 go offline permanently. You will not be able to login to play, and the apps will be removed from the respective stores. At this time, the 2.0 and 3.0 online and community functionality will go offline on PC.

Apple TV versions of the remaining two games will be removed from the store on September 30. You’ll still be able to download toy boxes for 2.0 and 3.0 on PC and Apple TV at this time.

The next shutdown happens on January 3, 2017. At this point, in-game purchases will be removed from 2.0 and 3.0 on PC.

Finally, it all comes to an end on March 3, 2017. At this point, Apple TV and PC versions will be removed from the stores and will no longer be playable at all. At this point all community and online features will be shutdown for all other versions.

Disney Dad 3000

Haven't seen if anybody has posted this, but if you've not bought any of the infinity stuff or wanting to add, this is a great time. I knew it was cancelled, but even without the online component in the future I think my son is still going to love growing into it. Plus there are plenty of months to download some of the great toy boxes in the community. Got a lot of it for my son for Christmas.

Virtually all of the 3.0 figures have been on sale at Walmart for 4.96 a piece except for baloo, Alice and dory items I think. Star Wars starter pack was down to 20 and other SW, toy box racing and avengers play sets for 3.0 were like 11-12. I think even the 2.0 starter avengers pack was 20. I would imagine as weeks progress some of the newest stuff will drop too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom