1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

RIP Disney Infinity

Discussion in 'Disney Video Games' started by peterpanic74, May 10, 2016.

1. peterpanic74

peterpanic74 Active Member

2. Twilight_Roxas

Twilight_Roxas Well-Known Member

I hope they release Peter Pan as the final figure since he is the Artist Choice.

3. Rich T

Rich T Well-Known Member

Well...that...just...sucks... :(

If they hadn't announced this now, I would've gone ahead and bought the Looking Glass and Dory sets and figures due in May and June. Now... Pffffff.

brb1006 likes this.
  4. Mr Ferret 88

Mr Ferret 88 Resident "and onion" of the boards Premium Member

Not surprised. It never really delivered as good as it could have been.

5. Twilight_Roxas

Twilight_Roxas Well-Known Member

There's still Peter Pan the Artist's Choice.

6. Rich T

Rich T Well-Known Member

The news coming out is that the entire staff of Avalanche Software has been laid off, and that anything beyond the Nemo set, including Roque One, is canceled. I'm afraid that might mean Peter Pan is canceled too, unless they've already manufactured the figure... but I'm not too optimistic about this.

7. RandomPrincess

RandomPrincess Keep Moving Forward Premium Member

Reports say Alice and Dory sets are it. My kids raelly loved playing this game.

raymusiccity likes this.
  8. fox_198

fox_198 Well-Known Member

I guess that Robin Hood figure people always speculated about is never happening...
    I never played Disney Infinity, but this is surprising to me.

brb1006 likes this.
  9. ChampDisney

ChampDisney Well-Known Member

Sucks for the many who invested in this game. I, myself considered getting it but what's the use if its getting axed.

10. mf1972

mf1972 Well-Known Member

kind of new with this. u can play 2.0 figures & pieces if u have the 3.0 version?

11. Rich T

Rich T Well-Known Member

I'd almost recommend getting it anyway-- because it's amazing-- BUT the moment they kill the game's online servers... I don't even know if it'll be playable without a major final patch to make it a completely offline experience.

At least the figures are awesome by themselves. I'm keepin' Baloo, Judy, Nick, Donald and Davy Jones on my desk. :)

12. Rich T

Rich T Well-Known Member

Figures and power discs, yes. Playsets, no (but you'll get all their pieces, buildings and NPCs to build with).

13. hakunamatata

hakunamatata Love Me Some Fast Passes Premium Member

This really stinks. My son loves this game.

brb1006 likes this.
  14. jensenrick

jensenrick Well-Known Member

WHAT!? This is ridiculous! They are always talking about how they lead the "toys to life " field or whatever it's called, but they are pulling out? This bites hard.

brb1006 likes this.
  15. Rich T

Rich T Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that, even though it's the #1 Toys-to-Life game, the genre as a whole is declining, and Infinity wasn't making enough money to justify the money they were putting into its ongoing development. What a pity; Infinity's a work of genius, and with more great IP to work with than any other company in the world, Disney could have kept growing Inifinity into something mind-blowingly vast.

On the other hand, no one knows where the game market is headed beyond today's emphasis on mobile. Maybe Disney's smart to go back to licensing their IPs and letting others take the risk of producing games in a quickly-shifting hardware environment.

raymusiccity and jensenrick like this.
  16. Wdw62114

Wdw62114 Well-Known Member

Thanks Shanghai!!!

brb1006 likes this.
  17. Bacon

Bacon Well-Known Member

Dory is the end and alice is coming so yep you can still get them

18. Bacon

Bacon Well-Known Member

Its not shanghai listen to this quote
    Ben Fritz

✔‎@benfritz

Along with cancellation of "Infinity," Disney is closing Avalanche studio in Utah. Close to 300 jobs will be cut.

The latest Disney Infinity game was Disney Infinity 3.0, which launched in August 2015 for consoles and PC. In March this year, Disney announced that it would not launch Disney 4.0 this year, and instead treat 3.0 as something of a platform that would be continually updated. It seems that is no longer going to be the case.

Later in March, Disney Interactive pulled out of E3 2016, but did not explain why.

Two more Disney Infinity playsets, based on Alice Through the Looking Glass and Finding Dory, are coming in June. However, it sounds like those will be the final two ever released for the game.

In a statement to GameSpot, Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media chairman Jimmy Pitaro explained more of the reasoning behind Disney Infinity's shutdown.

"After a thorough evaluation, we have modified our approach to console gaming and will transition exclusively to a licensing model," he said. "This shift in strategy means we will cease production of Disney Infinity, where the lack of growth in the toys-to-life market, coupled with high development costs, has created a challenging business model. This means that we will be shutting down Avalanche, our internal studio that developed the game. This was a difficult decision that we did not take lightly given the quality of Disney Infinity and its many passionate fans."

There will continue to be video games based on Disney properties, of course, but Disney will no longer publish them. Electronic Arts is making multiple new Star Wars games, including reportedly multiple Battlefront sequels, as well as a third-person game from Titanfall developer Respawn. Additionally, Dead Space developer Visceral Games and new EA studio Motive are also working on Star Wars projects.

Disney Infinity SVP John Blackburn published a statement on the shutdown on the game's website. You can read the full post below.

"By now you may have heard the news that we have made the difficult decision to discontinue production of Disney Infinity. From the beginning, Disney Infinity was built for you--our fans--and I wanted to take a moment to thank you not just for your support over the years, but for creating a community that made Disney Infinity more than just a game.

"Our goal for Disney Infinity was to bring the best of Disney storytelling to life in homes around the world, and with your support we accomplished that. We hope you had as much fun playing the game as we had making it.

"So what's next for Disney Infinity? We have two final retail releases coming, including three new characters from Alice Through the Looking Glass later this month, and the Finding Dory Play Set launching in June.

"And as we turn to the next chapter in our story, I want to thank everyone who helped bring Disney Infinity to life, particularly Disney's Glendale-based production and publishing teams, our external development partners, and of course the incredible Avalanche team for their tireless dedication to this project.

"But most of all, I want to again thank you for making Disney Infinity a part of your lives—and for adding to the Disney legacy by being a part of this community."

For its part, Activision has also said that its toys-to-life game, Skylanders, is underperforming.

19. Dead2009

Dead2009 Well-Known Member

Make up for it by letting someone make a Disney Universe 2 game and all will be forgiven.

20. Rich T

Rich T Well-Known Member

Can...but won't. Any desire to pour more money into the game has evaporated, especially on figures that would just have been "part of the collection" as opposed to figures I actually would have bought game or no. (Now, if they'd gone with classic animated wonderland figures instead of Tim Burton's...that would've been an insta-buy.)

I just really hope they give the game a final patch to remove any online connectivity requirements. When you think of all the animation, voice work and cleverness that went into each and every figure... it's a shame more people won't get to experience it all.

I'm very glad Baloo saw the light of day-- My vote for all-time best Infinity figure, in-game and out.