Riding Mission: SPACE

MrNonacho

Premium Member
ssidiouss@mac.c said:
If this is true.. then you do believe that less people are getting sick on the ride just because of the additional warning signs? And what about the rumors of it being toned down from both the Orlando Sentinal and CM's that work there? You have to admit that where there is smoke sometimes there is fire. :drevil:

I definitely think it's possible that the additional warnings are responsible for fewer incidents. Every day, I see guests opt out at the last minute solely because all the warnings have made them think twice.

CMs are notoriously unreliable when it comes to information. I guess I would be included in that, but this is something that either happened or didn't happen, and people that I personally trust say that it didn't. I have no clue about the Sentinel.

Also, you can just look at what's more likely:
1: Disney spent lots of money and countless hours/days/weeks to tone the ride down (it really isn't as simple as turning down a )
or
2: Your body and/or your brain interpreted the forces in different ways, depending on their condition during the ride.

ssidiouss@mac.c

MrNonacho said:
I definitely think it's possible that the additional warnings are responsible for fewer incidents. Every day, I see guests opt out at the last minute solely because all the warnings have made them think twice.

CMs are notoriously unreliable when it comes to information. I guess I would be included in that, but this is something that either happened or didn't happen, and people that I personally trust say that it didn't. I have no clue about the Sentinel.

Also, you can just look at what's more likely:
1: Disney spent lots of money and countless hours/days/weeks to tone the ride down (it really isn't as simple as turning down a )
or
2: Your body and/or your brain interpreted the forces in different ways, depending on their condition during the ride.

Hmm.. maybe more people are opting out of the ride.. when I took my mom there in December she almost walked off right before we entered the cockpit. But are the signs really that much more persuasive?

MrNonacho

Premium Member
ssidiouss@mac.c said:
Hmm.. maybe more people are opting out of the ride.. when I took my mom there in December she almost walked off right before we entered the cockpit. But are the signs really that much more persuasive?

Well, there are guests that will ask "Does this ride spin?" after they've gotten seated in the capsule and pulled their restrait down, and there are guests that will actually read the signs and ask questions before getting in line. I have no actual statistics, but I'd imagine that many of those involved in more serious incidents probably shouldn't have been on the ride in the first place. If a few extra signs or rewordings of audio/visual warnings result in less of those folks riding, then the number of incidents would go down.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
ssidiouss@mac.c said:
FROM THE Orlando Sentinel 1/6/05:

When Mission: Space at EPCOT was opened, a number of people riding it became ill, and suggesting that it was too intense on the human body. Reportedly, the Disney imagineers experienced similar problems during tests and had toned down the attraction prior to its grand opening. It was also rumored that the attraction was slowed down after a number of guests had complained that the attraction was still too intense.

The Sentinel often use internet rumor in their articles. And unfortunately, in this case, they have read the nonsense that people churn out about MS, and then printed it. Notice the use of "Reportedly" in their article.

Regardless of the rumors that go around, the info comes from the very highest level at MS, that it has never been changed since being installed in Epcot.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
ssidiouss@mac.c said:
If the ride does not carry the ability to tone itself down, then i'm sure its possible that the ride is broken and not spinning at the same rate that it used to. Everything wears down and eventually must be tuned up. Either way, I'm sure Disney would not want it to be known that the ride is not as intense at it used to be.. so i'm not suprised of the lack of info on the subject.

Also, how do you account for the many posts from people saying that the ride feels less intense as it did in the first year of operation? I don't see a lot of posts saying that Test Track's take off is less intense, or that the Tower Of Terror's drop is less intense, etc. But I do see many posts about Mission Space feeling less intense now :confused:

Mission Space is self monitoring, if it doesnt reach the appropriate performance, it will shut down. Therefore there will never be a case of the attraction not performing to it's established perameters. All of the recent attractions are like this. Eg. with rock n RollerCoaster, if it fails to reach the appropriate speed on launch, it will estop.

I can account for people saying its less intense by the very fact that the human body adapts to new feelings fairly quickly, and are perceived as being less intense. Take rollercoasters as an example. In the early days of looping coasters, a single 360 degree loop would be classed as the ultimate thrill ride. People would be afraid to ride. Now, those same coasters seem like a kidie ride to frequent riders, and they strive to ride the new 10 looper coasters to get the same buzz that they originally got from the single.

With Mission Space, guests are now becoming somewhat used to the sensations it delivers, and knowing what to expect, and having experienced it before, it makes subsequent rides appear less intense.

ssidiouss@mac.c

TAC said:
Where is your proof that it has been toned down? You completely ignored my post because you cannot prove a thing.

No, I ignored your post because you didn't really say anything except just asking me to prove it. I can ask you the same thing, prove that is has not been toned down. This type of useless banter doesnt provide any information towards either side, so I ignored it.

I did provide an interesting link to the Orlando Sentinal which provides some proof that people think the ride has been toned down. Instead of just yelling for more proof or yelling that my proof isnt good enough for you.. how about you counter the sentinal article with something of your own? Another article or soemthing other than he-said-she-said? I know its easier to just offer ridiculous dares such as "bet me $1,000 that you can prove it" but you can do better if you try. Look at wdwmagic, the admin, he offered some really good information that is hard to debate.. if its true that the ride shuts down if its not going a certain rpm.. then thats good hard proof which if true could mean that the ride is still the same. I can admit that.

ssidiouss@mac.c

TAC said:
So, why don't you post a final post that you are WRONG ?

Lol.. are you kidding me. Your gong to make me :cry: Please stop. Is that all you care about is being right? Its that important to you. Hmm.. here is a :kiss: , does that make you feel better on the inside?

This place is going a little waki-nu-nu lately.

ssidiouss@mac.c

TAC said:
People in glass houses should not throw stones....

Have a magical day. :wave:

I was being sarcastic LOL.. I'm actually still waiting here for you to offer proof other than your blind faith in what others have said.

I'm playing you like a fiddle.. dance I said my little puppet.. its time to dance!
:sohappy:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
ssidiouss@mac.c said:
I did provide an interesting link to the Orlando Sentinal which provides some proof that people think the ride has been toned down. Instead of just yelling for more proof or yelling that my proof isnt good enough for you.. how about you counter the sentinal article with something of your own?

If I may, I won't counter the Sentinal article so much as interpret it. The article uses terms like "reportedly" and "rumored [sic]" when discussing changes to the ride. Both terms are used journalistically to refer to information for which the source is unconfirmed or unreliable. When the writer references information from Disney, the language used is reflective of factual detail or paraphrased quotation. Then the writer reverts to less specific ["but have a hard time believing"] terminology to discuss the credibility of Disney's information.

Journalists use certain turns of phrase to obscure things that could get them in trouble if stated as fact. Makes for more interesting reading, but rumours and unconfirmed reports don't make for facts in a debate.

Having never ridden MS myself, thids is purely an exercise in semantics for me :animwink:

ssidiouss@mac.c

MontyMon said:
If I may, I won't counter the Sentinal article so much as interpret it. The article uses terms like "reportedly" and "rumored [sic]" when discussing changes to the ride. Both terms are used journalistically to refer to information for which the source is unconfirmed or unreliable. When the writer references information from Disney, the language used is reflective of factual detail or paraphrased quotation. Then the writer reverts to less specific ["but have a hard time believing"] terminology to discuss the credibility of Disney's information.

Journalists use certain turns of phrase to obscure things that could get them in trouble if stated as fact. Makes for more interesting reading, but rumours and unconfirmed reports don't make for facts in a debate.

Having never ridden MS myself, thids is purely an exercise in semantics for me :animwink:

Yah the article seems a bit fishy if you really look at it.. but it just shows that the rumors were around. I didnt really want to use it as proof.. just to get the ball rolling to show that there are rumors and people who think it has been toned down. I wanted to get some real info on what was up with Mission Space.. and this thread did bring some good stuff to light, such as the fact that the ride will shut down if its not going a certain RPM. To me, that is interesting stuff that is fun to know. I didnt know a few people would get all riled up over proving themselves right in this thread though. That was really unexpected honestly.

ssidiouss@mac.c

TAC said:
You didn't want to use that article as proof, yet you did.

How is debating you into a corner getting "all riled up?" :lol: You're funny.

I call it "all riled up" when someone gets to the point of name calling (your the villiage idiot) on a disney message board.
:drevil:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
ssidiouss@mac.c said:
I call it "all riled up" when someone gets to the point of name calling (your the villiage idiot) on a disney message board.
:drevil:

It seems to me that you are deliberately looking to create trouble. I strongly suggest you drop it.

ssidiouss@mac.c

TAC said:
You started it. :p

Now this is boring.. me.. want me to say "oh no, your the one who started it?" etc.. Zzzz

ANyway.. let me explain the dance comment.. its very simple.

I said you were about to dance.. because you were. When I said dance I meant it as in perform. I knew you were about 1-3 replies from going bezerk and yelling a curse or calling me names, etc. You had nowhere else to go.. and you did go there. I saw it comming so I called you on it. And the reason I said puppet is because you havent been in control of your own actions.. you were being led to name call by the thread.. at the time that I posted that you were a puppet and about to dance.. you still had time not to resort to name-calling but you were unable to control yourself.. because you were like a puppet on a string which then was made to dance (name-call)

Your actions are going exactly as I have forseen. I said you would be like a puppet and dance.. and you did. :sohappy:

ssidiouss@mac.c

wdwmagic said:
It seems to me that you are deliberately looking to create trouble. I strongly suggest you drop it.

Ah, I must apologize to the admin. I do wish that you would look back at my entire posts though and see that I was respectful to everyone and did not name call, etc or be rude to anyone until I was called "the villiage idiot."

I think it clear that some people just more interested in being right than actually talking about the ride.

Again, sorry to disrupt the boards.. and I'll pull myself out of this thread now, but I also find it slightly hypocritical that someone who yells out that someone else is a villiage idiot on the boards is not seen as deliberately looking to create trouble.

ICP06

I just read the whole thread from start to finish-not having read it before...

My thoughts...

A suggestion was made that the ride was toned down. Several people said that this was untrue.

ssidiouss@mac.c posts that he doesn't care what people are saying. He knows the ride was not toned down and refuses to believe what anyone says.

People post saying he's wrong and that it's been toned down.

ssidiouss@mac.c reacts in what is, frankly, a very "i am right and you are wrong, lalalalala, I'm not listening" way.

People get a bit wound up about this.

Instead of letting the subject go-or accepting that there may be a possibility that he may be wrong (I don't know either way-it's irrelevant anyway), ssidiouss@mac.c uses the tension-and how wound up people are- to wind people up further, by taking things that people have posted and generally being quite rude about them.

People, now further wind up, fight fire with fire and become rude also.

Now, as everyone's being rude, ssidiouss@mac.c decides to take the high road and become civil. This allows him to make himself look like he's "the better man".

And here we are...

As I see it, people have quoted various items of information, facts, whatever... To these, ssidiouss@mac.c has responded with one article from the Orlando Sentinel (which, as someone who has read various other articles from that publication with regard to WDW, I would classify as a not always particularly reliable source) which does not state the information as fact, but states the information as rumour (to paraphrase, "it is rumoured", "reportedly", etc.) which he has since accepted as "fishy". This leaves him, again, with no "proof" of the ride being toned with the exception of his own experience.

So, as someone who's neutral on this topic (if it's been toned down, who cares? I've ridden it once and I thought it was brilliant!), here are my suggestions.

Everyone but ssidiouss@mac.c: Chill! So what if one person refuses to believe you? He's stubborn and stuck in his ways! Repeating the old arguments over and over again (however correct they may/may not be) won't make him change his mind. Just ignore him until he stops trying to assert his mindset.

ssidiouss@mac.c: Oh. My. God. Grow up. Why are you being so stubborn? You're not listening to people's arguments! You're essentially just sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "you're wrong" at them. It's you against the world at the moment, so why are you sticking so steadfastly to your guns? Why not, for now, (and again, I'm not saying it has or hasn't been toned down, I'm merely making a suggestion) accept that you are wrong and that it's the same as it was on opening day. Accept that the increased amount of warning signs have lowered incidents (I know, I personally have never experienced motion sickness but gave serious second thought to going on the attraction) or whatever. Then, if and or when you find some reliable material that suggests otherwise, come back and post it for us and reopen the debate in a civil manner. Because the way it is at the moment, it's not doing anyone good. It's merely tarnishing your name by getting people annoyed at you and making you out to be the bad one.

On a personal note, I think you need to apologise for

ssidiouss@mac.c said:
I was being sarcastic LOL.. I'm actually still waiting here for you to offer proof other than your blind faith in what others have said.

I'm playing you like a fiddle.. dance I said my little puppet.. its time to dance!
as that is quite rude, really.

Also, it has to be said lest I go insane. Easy is spelt E A S Y. Not E Z. *shudders* That's the one internet word I can't stand...

So, in summary, remember that episode of the Simpsons where they go to Dr. Marvin Monroe's family clinic? Homer sees an ad on the TV in Moes, I think that goes along the lines of...

[parents fighting]
Husband: Shut up
Wife: No you shut up.
Husband: No you shut up.
[child walks in]
Child: Why don't you BOTH shut up?!

That's what this thread has become ;)

Have a magicaleriffic day!
ICP06

Edit: OK, WDWMagic's stepped in, ssidiouss@mac.c stepped out. And lo, the world was at peace...

tomm4004

wdwmagic said:
1. DO NOT ride immediately after eating
It's funny, I rode the other night right after a monster meal at Chefs de France (including the mousse and ice cream dessert), and I found that a full stomach makes the ride seem tamer. An empty stomach actually made me feel worse. So chow down!

kcnole

If this is true.. then you do believe that less people are getting sick on the ride just because of the additional warning signs? And what about the rumors of it being toned down from both the Orlando Sentinal and CM's that work there? You have to admit that where there is smoke sometimes there is fire.

The signs and warnings definitely keep the number of people getting sick down. I visited Epcot in January and was excited about this ride until I got into the line and saw the hundreds of huge warnings about motion sickness. I get motion sickness very easily (Star Tours, Body Wars, even Soarin') so I just got right out of line. I'd like to give it a try once, but the worse feeling in the world is laying on the ground with everything spinning around you and I do not want that while in Disney.

Would I have gotten sick on the ride? Who knows, but I'm sure there's lots of people who would have who opted out at the last minute like I did.

tomm4004

The ride seems tamer to me, but then I thought it's just because I've ridden it a few times and am used to it. The part that really seems tamer is the take off and when you descend to the planet. But again, it also seems tamer on a full stomach.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom