Trip Report Ridin' Solo **COMPLETE**

Hello, fellow pixie dust addicts! Welcome to my five night, six day solo trip report! You can check out the pre-trip report here, if you're so inclined. I'll get right to it!

Intro
So, for those of you who don't know, I'm Tracy. I'm a 25-year-old prior-military, current student, Disneyaholic.

11084662544_856ebc7ba4.jpg

This trip was a little bit of a surprise. My husband, Coda, and I had planned a last-minute getaway for the two of us over fall break, but because he was called away for work last-minute, I rescheduled and planned to head down by myself for the first time ever. I was on a tight budget and planned to eat a combination of counter-service meals and stuff I brought with me. I was fully on-board with the Fastpass+ system and had all of my reservations in place before I left, including a FP+ for Be Our Guest. Without further ado, I present the first day of my trip.

Day One
The day started at about 6am. I got up and got ready, had breakfast, and rushed out the door, letting my dad carry my bags. ;) We arrived at the airport around 8am. I had done online check-in with Southwest and left my bags with the men on the curb, got through security fairly quickly, and went to wait for boarding. It was my first time flying Southwest, so the boarding process was a little foreign to me. I ended up sitting in between two very nice ladies. Unfortunately, one of them wanted to talk the whole time. At risk of seeming rude, I pulled out my laptop once we'd taken off and watched an episode and a half of Glee (don't judge me). We landed right on time, at about 11:10am and, since I was using DME, I headed straight to the Disney Magic Express desk. I was ushered into a line and waited for my bus to load.

11084601615_4605673734.jpg

I got onto the bus after a very short wait. It stopped first at Art of Animation and Pop Century before arriving at Jambo House about 45 minutes later. I checked in without a hitch and was excited to find that my room was ready!

11084683916_3f4db54558_z.jpg

The room was very nice and pretty similar to Kidani Village, though it did seem somewhat smaller and the bathroom was set up differently. The sink was out in the open rather than behind a closed door, which I guess is no big deal. Just something i noticed. I also had a savannah view room, though I had only paid for a standard view. A pleasant surprise! Speaking of surprises...

11084789663_d8b409e209.jpg

This was waiting for me when I got there! My husband somehow worked this out and I was met with a glow with the show hat and an early anniversary card! Our actual anniversary is December 21st, but he's at work and won't be home til February. After unpacking my carry-on, I went to explore the lobby on the way out.

11079054795_c57501df1f.jpg
11079048825_b1b465ee9c.jpg

Then I got on the bus to Animal Kingdom. On my way in, I noticed something I'd never seen before: a remnant of what should have been.

11079135154_3740c523fa_z.jpg

I used my magic band to get into the park. It went really smoothly with no hiccups. Not any quicker than cards, but alright, I guess. My first stop was to get a paper FP for Dinosaur since all my FP+ were made for MK later in the evening. I used my AP to get it and it wasn't a problem, though the CM gave me a funny look... Next I went to Expedition Everest. The single rider line claimed a 30 minute wait, but I was in within 10 minutes. As always, lots of fun. Not much to say about that! On my way to It's Tough To Be a Bug, I saw some street performers interacting with the kids.

11079012495_cb6e9dccb8_z.jpg

The show was cute, which is pretty standard. I did notice that Flik's eyes were in sync this time and the stingers in the seats worked, which is more than I could say in March. By that time it was about 2:45 and I had only been in the park for about two hours, but I was already ready to leave. I knew I would be back in a couple days. One thing I realized about solo trips - it doesn't take nearly as long to do what you want to do. I decided to give away my Dino FP since I didn't want to hang around to wait on it and I had a FP+ for it on a later day. I went back to my room and got my first glimpse of animals outside my room.

11079032556_5f6e942dde_z.jpg

No giraffes or zebras, but cool anyway. I quickly noticed that my bags hadn't been delivered to my room. It was 3:30 and my flight had gotten in at 11:10. I called down to the desk at 3:45 and was told my bag would be right up because it had just come in. I sat around and waited until about 4:15 and then called back. They put me on hold for several minutes and finally came back to tell me that my bag would be right up. It finally got there about 10 minutes later. I've heard some things about how DME isn't super reliable, but I was still a little annoyed by the delay since I was waiting on my bag to take a shower. Once I had that taken care of, there was a knock at the door and a woman delivered a pile of gifts from Coda.

11084669656_1469471a38_z.jpg

Included was a Belle doll, Simba plush, princess autograph book, and a picture frame. I was a little confused, but happily accepted them. More on that later... So, I went ahead with my plan to hit Magic Kingdom for the night. First, however, I stopped at the Mara for dinner.

11084777093_d3ff1246b0.jpg

I had the African stew, which is amazing, for those who haven't had it. After satisfying the rumbling in my tummy, I got on the MK bus. I decided to take the railroad over to Frontierland since I'd never ridden it. I had a FP+ for Haunted Mansion and jumped right into the line. Again, the magic band worked perfectly and I had no trouble lining it up.
11079034714_4b6e6a19c4_z.jpg

Still one of my favorite rides! It's still competing with SSE for absolute favorite. After the HM, I wanted to check out the new Jingle Cruise overlay.

11079001736_dd411141c4.jpg

I have to say, I wasn't impressed. The "overlay" consisted of the boat names seen above and some awkward Christmas jokes. Our skipper was not funny. In fact, she was one of those people that just makes other people shift uncomfortably. They should probably forego the holiday overlay from now on. Next I jumped on Pirates of the Caribbean with barely any wait and a whole row to myself. After PotC, I had a Peter Pan FP+ to use. Another one of my favorites! I wish I could get clear photos of the London scene... Then was the Little Mermaid. We got stopped at this point:

11078997054_4f7137f7ac_z.jpg

I'm not sure that I've ever been on that ride without it stopping for a minute or two. My final FP+ of the evening was The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. I just LOVE the rain scene. I did get annoyed because someone took a flash photo and I was able to see how they do the raindrop effect. :mad: I hate those people. Before I left, I wanted to start using the autograph book Coda had sent, so I got in line for Cinderella at the new Princess Fairytale Hall. The wait wasn't long and I got to meet Cinderella and Aurora.

11084572795_842f6e93aa.jpg

11084657956_d4cac72658.jpg

I had intentions of heading out, but I got pulled in by IaSW. I had to look for the cobwebs that were mentioned in another thread. And... I found them.

11078895446_94956d23eb_z.jpg

I wish no one had told me, because I was totally grossed out and seriously ducking when we went under the bridge. I also noticed - wait for it - light bulbs that were blown.

11078933224_c311f888fc_z.jpg

Oh well, still a cute ride, even with the song. :p My very last stop of the evening was the Rapunzel bathrooms.

11078985953_b2c92c8200_z.jpg

I really do wish they'd done more with this, though it's still really nice to look at. I stopped to watch Wishes on the way down Main Street USA, but didn't want to be caught up in the crowd in front of the castle. I got back on the bus without much of a wait, since I was already near the exit when the finale went off, and got back to my room by 11pm. I watched some SVU and hit the sack!

Next up: Hidden Mickey fail and Quiche

The Empress Lilly

Speaking of surprises...

11084789663_d8b409e209.jpg

This was waiting for me when I got there! My husband somehow worked this out and I was met with a glow with the show hat and an early anniversary card!
That's really neat! So considerate and fun!

I went to explore the lobby on the way out.

11079054795_c57501df1f.jpg

Then I got on the bus to Animal Kingdom. On my way in, I noticed something I'd never seen before: a remnant of what should have been.
This is actually on my list of things to do. Stay at AKL and combine it with trips to DAK. I have still not formed a true emotional connection with DAK. Which I find a pity. Even if I think the apr is hopelessly underbuilt and that AvLand will not be the solution, I am still determined to come to love this place. Maybe immersing myself in the DAK-ish atmopshere of AKL will help!
my way to It's Tough To Be a Bug, I saw some street performers interacting with the kids.

there was a knock at the door and a woman delivered a pile of gifts from Coda.

11084669656_1469471a38_z.jpg

Included was a Belle doll, Simba plush, princess autograph book, and a picture frame. I was a little confused, but happily accepted them.
Cute. But it feels almost as if they had mistaken your gift with those meant for some small girl. Then again, the Belle and Simba just scream Vitani.

And what good taste you have! Mansion and SSE! :
Haunted Mansion

Still one of my favorite rides! It's still competing with SSE for absolute favorite.

I had intentions of heading out, but I got pulled in by IaSW. I had to look for the cobwebs that were mentioned in another thread. And... I found them.

11078895446_94956d23eb_z.jpg

I wish no one had told me, because I was totally grossed out and seriously ducking when we went under the bridge. I also noticed - wait for it - light bulbs that were blown.

11078933224_c311f888fc_z.jpg
Welcome to the Dark Side! Soon, you'll be posting doom&gloom posts about the good old days![/quote]

coachwnh

Hello. Are you still there? I miss this report.

Hope the exams went well.

Hope Coda has a safe Christmas defending our great country!!!!!!!!

rufio

Original Poster
Hello. Are you still there? I miss this report.

Hope the exams went well.

Hope Coda has a safe Christmas defending our great country!!!!!!!!

Oh my goodness! I am so lazy. Honestly, though, I had exams and then this Tuesday I had surgery that I wasn't expecting! Follow that with recovery time and Christmas gatherings this weekend, and I have been completely wiped out. I swear ON MY HONOR to get day two up tomorrow! ;)

rufio

Original Poster
@coachwnh it seems that my word is worthless... I have no excuse, but I'm back on the ball now, so here it is!
Day Two: Part One

The day began at 9am. I rolled out of bed and prepared to head to the Magic Kingdom. I ate my oatmeal with almond butter in the room and watched SVU. While I was eating, I got a phone call from my husband! He was pretty upset when we spoke, which was not expected. Apparently, the resort, florist, or whoever delivered my gifts screwed up - big time. Apparently I was supposed to receive a gift and a card for each day of my stay. Instead, the delivered a card and ALL my gifts on the very first night. Upset, Coda had called the resort and told them what had happened. They agreed to deliver the cards each day until I left, though there wouldn't be any more gifts. :(

After I got off the phone, I made the long trek from my room to the bus stop and hopped a bus to MK! I missed the opening show, obviously, but I did catch these guys before they left!

11093953075_086a77465b_z.jpg

Next I moseyed towards Peter Pan's Flight (yes, again - it's another one of my favorites!) taking pictures as I went.

11094023316_d4ab9504e4_z.jpg

11094028384_25c6b57c24_z.jpg

As you can see, the sky was a little icky, but the weather was still holding out! After Pan, I pulled out my Hidden Mickey book (that I'd honestly forgotten about) and went to the Haunted Mansion. It didn't look like there would be a wait, and I've found there's a lot more free time to do things when you take a trip alone. I took the long route through the cemetery, looking for all the Hidden Mickeys as I went.

11093903415_572019392c_z.jpg

Oh, and I spotted this guy too:

11093993096_d6698079f2_z.jpg

Lots of funny details when you have time to slow down and look for them! Just before entering, some awesome CMs saw my Hidden Mickey book and even gave me tips on the hidden Jack Skellingtons inside! I didn't find them, unfortunately. Those things are really hidden! Next up was Splash Mountain, which I also had a FP+ for! On the way, these guys were playing.

11093860454_bebb86d757_z.jpg

It was my first time seeing them and they were a lot of fun to watch! Woody and Jessie were closeby, but I wanted to get to Splash! Oh, and don't worry, I packed my poncho! ;)

11093960133_4ae49fc135_z.jpg

Yep, that's me! The one you can't see at all. I REALLY did not want to get wet! The lady beside me was German and had no interest in talking. She looked at me like I was insane when I said, "hi." I guess we southerners are just too friendly. Oh well, there are worse things. All the effects seemed to be working! Even some I'd never seen working in person before. I'm not sure if everything was in tip top shape because of Thanksgiving, but at any rate, it was working!!! After Splash, I got a little artsy fartsy with the camera.

11093979416_6d1e6f3541_z.jpg

11094100803_de4c2c8ebf_z.jpg

If only my dad had let me take his DSLR... Oh well. Next, I wanted to go on the Carousel of Progress since I hadn't been on my last trip. Something about Walt's rides just gives me the warm fuzzies!

11094091953_7bce5a74fc_z.jpg

Love, love, LOVE it! All seemed to be in good shape except the water pump in one of the early scenes (can't remember which decade) wasn't working properly. It pumped, but there wasn't any water! Oh, and was that a new TV in the final scene? I also found a ton of Hidden Mickeys with the help of my handy dandy guide! My favorite was the abstract Fantasia painting in the last scene! I totally want that in my house.

Next it was time for my Be Our Guest FP+. And thank goodness for it! The line was all the way to Gaston's Tavern! :eek: The check-in was a little confusing. There wasn't a sign or anything, so I just walked up to the podium. They didn't find my reservation at first, but eventually it did load. He pointed me up to the umbrella where I waited for another guy, who then put me in the left line to order. I waited in line and got a kick out of some kids watching the knights.

11093961746_ed7b8499c8_z.jpg

When I got to the podium, the guy first gave me a regular red rose, then got yelled at by another CM and took the rose back, scanning my magic band. Apparently, though I had ordered online, the order didn't make it over for some reason, so I did it again and found a two-person table in the ballroom. My food came quickly - the whole process took about 15 minutes from check-in to food on the table. I got the potato and leek soup, quiche, and the lemon raspberry creme puff.

11094082023_8ab01164fd_z.jpg

11093951646_9fbef82ab9_z.jpg

As you can see, I quite enjoyed my appetizer and main course!

11093947536_154401e2fa_z.jpg

The dessert, not so much. I chose it because it was no sugar added, but I tend to have a hard time with fruity desserts, and it was just too tart for me. I did make a valiant attempt, though! I headed out back toward Tomorrowland, intending to get on the people mover. Unfortunately (or not), I noticed that there was nearly no line for Merida! I ran over, expecting the line to be closed, but the CM asked how many and when I told her one, she told me to go ahead!

11093925114_5f418eec4b_z.jpg

OMG so excited!!! I'd never met Merida before! In my excitement, I forgot to hand the photographer my phone, so I had to buy this picture later. Luckily, I found a coupon.

11541482243_b8ccb80342_z.jpg

Last, but certainly not least on my schedule for the Magic Kingdom was a FP+ for Rapunzel! Of course, I got to meet Snow White as well.

11541498436_31cac8d6fd_z.jpg

11541501806_de699b297f_z.jpg

Can I just say, meeting princesses is so much fun! Oh, and I know a lot of people hate on the "hand on hip" pose, but I found it to be the least awkward when solo, so there it is. :p

On my way to Epcot, my next destination, I made a quick stop at the Contemporary resort. You see, we spent our wedding night at Bay Lake Tower and ate gingerbread from the Contemporary's tree, so I wanted to grab a couple shingles for Coda and myself!

11094019943_b23e07cb52_z.jpg

As always, the display was slightly different this year and I loved it! The CMs were very helpful helping me to figure out what the best plan of action was for getting Coda's shingle to him. They said that the gingerbread freezes really well, so I decided on freezing it until he gets home at the beginning of February.

Unfortunately, I've hit my picture limit for this post (unless that's changed), so I'll be back soon with Day Two, Part Two!

Next up: Even more princesses and unexpected weather!

Last edited:

jlsHouston

AHHH... I'm back on the boards, and following along, hope your finals went well, poor Sarah bombed all of hers and blamed the trip to WDWo_O....Christmas was such a rush here to get to and through, hope the surgery was for nothing serious:eek: and you are recovering well!!! Your pics look great, are they all from your iphone ? I had a great time meeting up with you and so so happy I committed to see Fantasmic with you. Cannot believe I wasted so many visits to WDW and had never seen it before. It was one of the highlights of this Thanksgiving trip!

rufio

Original Poster
Loved the updates!!! Look forward to more.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Thank you! :)

Love your report! The same thing happened to us at BOG as well! We pre ordered but once we made it to the podium and cashier, our order was gone an we had to reorder! Glad your having a great time!

It is strange that they're having such a hard time with that!

OMG, it's my fav Disney princess and she's looking better than ever!!

And apart from you, Rapunzel looks great too! This is my fav Rapunzel friend. I had such a crush on her when I met her!
love1.gif

How was she? And do you perchance happen to have any more pics of her? :oops:

Is it me or does Merida not really look the part?

As for Snow White, the movie said 'pale as snow', not 'tanned as burned Thanksgiving turkey'.

Sorry to hear about the gifts. Poor Coda! So sweet though.

Haha! Rapunzel was lovely. She asked about my frying pan, as she always does. Merida was cute; I didn't have a problem with her. I thought I heard her speaking with an American accent before I got to her, but maybe I imagined it. Snow White... you know, I knew something was off, but you just called it out. She was much, much too tan. I'm like a ghost, so use that as your point of reference! Coda did a great job and if he hadn't told me, I never would have known it hadn't gone as planned!

nice report so far, i always get jealous of all you people who stayed where you can overlook the animals. cool pics so far though.

just out of curiousity..what branch were you?

I love AKL! I just wish it wasn't so far away. I was in the Air Force for four years, stationed in Anchorage, AK.

AHHH... I'm back on the boards, and following along, hope your finals went well, poor Sarah bombed all of hers and blamed the trip to WDWo_O....Christmas was such a rush here to get to and through, hope the surgery was for nothing serious:eek: and you are recovering well!!! Your pics look great, are they all from your iphone ? I had a great time meeting up with you and so so happy I committed to see Fantasmic with you. Cannot believe I wasted so many visits to WDW and had never seen it before. It was one of the highlights of this Thanksgiving trip!

I'm sorry she didn't do well! Mine went better than expected! A- and 3 B+! I'm glad I finally got you to see Fantasmic! Some of my photos are from my iPhone and the rest are from a small digital camera.

rufio

Original Poster
Day Two: Part Two

After picking up gingerbread shingles from the Contemporary, I hopped back on the monorail and went over to the ticket and transportation center. The ride was uneventful, thank goodness. No adults picking their noses or kids screaming. I made it onto the Epcot monorail and, as always, found myself in awe as Spaceship Earth came into view. I love it! I got into the park, again with no magic band problems whatsoever, and my first stop was Belle. Unfortunately, when I got there, the line was closed. I was told to come back in about an hour, so I changed course to Jasmine. Instead of meeting guests outside, she is now meeting inside what used to be a shop in Morocco, now called Lamps of Wonder. It's themed as a lamp shop and is much nicer to look at than a bunch of other people walking around the World Showcase.

11093806935_4cfed891ae_z.jpg

11093886166_78c1c2c4c8_z.jpg

11658882473_8a1eab13d7_z.jpg

After about a 30 minute wait, I got to meet Jasmine! She didn't look quite like what I was expecting, but I got another autograph in my book. ;)

11658622155_2c7fe38811_z.jpg

When I left, I went back to Belle, and wouldn't you know the line was closed again. The same CM was there and she told me just to get there a little earlier the next time. So I decided to go back to Morocco and wander around the museum for a few minutes. I honestly enjoyed the architecture more than the displays...

11093864496_7bb33083a2_z.jpg

Finally, I went back to Belle. This time it was about 45 minutes before her scheduled time and there were still a few people in line meeting her from before. But I wasn't the first person in line. In front of me was a man and his young daughter. His jacket said "Kenai, Alaska." I quickly introduced myself and asked if he was from Kenai, which he was. You see, my brother-in-law is a police officer in Kenai and, as it turned out, the guy knew of my brother-in-law, though he didn't know him personally. According to him, you have to know who all the cops are in Kenai. It's a small world, after all! The sky was looking like this by the time she came back:

11093766045_b95533c303_z.jpg

I did get to meet Belle! I always get ridiculously giddy when I meet her (or the Beast). I was sad that she was in her cloak, but it was getting a little chilly out at this point.

11659400636_f068e635a6_z.jpg

After meeting Belle, it seemed like time to give up on characters for the day. Instead, I decided to head to Future World to get some rides in. But first, I stopped by a photopass photographer in France.

11659384966_b9b16bd956_z.jpg

The first ride I went on was Journey Into Imagination. The line was super short and I basically walked on. The last time I was in the World I missed it because I hadn't realized it closed when it got dark out (why is that?), so I wanted to make sure I got my chance this time.

11658593285_61caa38247_z.jpg

I still wish I had been able to see the original, but I do enjoy this one, even if I am in the minority. By the time I got out, it was literally (not really) freezing outside. The wind had picked up and the sun was nearly gone. It was cold enough that I seriously contemplated buying a $45 sweatshirt. Instead, I decided to hop on one more ride and head out early. I'll give you one guess what it was... Favorite.

11658842563_e6d5175b52_z.jpg

As always, it was amazing. So much awesomeness on this ride. I don't know that I could have handled the awesomeness of the older versions. :p I seriously contemplated staying longer and toughing out the cold, but as soon as I walked back outside, I headed towards the gate. It was COLD! I got to my bus stop and, wouldn't you know, the bus had just left. After almost a 20 minute wait, the bus came with the heat blasting! It was just after 7pm and I was already going back to the hotel. Can you say old?

When I got back to my room, there were two cards on my bed instead of the one card that I was supposed to get for the day. They seemed to be having a really hard time figuring out the whole one a day thing. But there was a surprise as well!

11093966703_68e1f1ef6d_z.jpg

11093825856_1466a45005_z.jpg

The card said, "From your friends at the front desk." I'm assuming it was an apology for messing up the surprises Coda had planned. Unfortunately, I'm not supposed to have a lot of sugar, so I had one and put the rest in the fridge. I spent the rest of the night watching SVU and lounging.

Next up: First character breakfast ever!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom