Rides appropriate for infant?

kennedy

Original Poster
We are bringing our seven month-old son to WDW for the first time. I'm curious to get people's opinions on what rides they would bring, or have brought, an infant on. Put aside the whole "it depends on your baby" stuff. He's only seven months, so he isn't really afraid of anything. Would you bring a baby on Haunted Mansion? Snow White? POTC? I guess those are the three I'm on the fence about...

DisneyGigi

We are bringing our seven month-old son to WDW for the first time. I'm curious to get people's opinions on what rides they would bring, or have brought, an infant on. Put aside the whole "it depends on your baby" stuff. He's only seven months, so he isn't really afraid of anything. Would you bring a baby on Haunted Mansion? Snow White? POTC? I guess those are the three I'm on the fence about...

Hmmm.... tough question. The drop ( I know it is small) freaked me out with DS (first time riding and he was 3) I don't think at 7 months the witch in Snow White would scare him/her but could? I don't know about HM.. I would think that the colors and songs in Pooh would be great though:wave:

dgtolbert222

wee took our 8 month old girl on winnie the pooh, THM, its a small world, peter pan, dumbo, the railroad, buzz lightyear, jungle cruise. I think POTC would have been to loud with the cannons shooting, she could have went on snow white, but she was at the room with mom getting a nap. we also took her on aladdin

hope this helps..

happymom52003

We took our DD on pretty much everything that did not have a height requirement. She did great on everything.....POTC, HM, Pooh,Dumbo, Alladin, Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan, IASM, and Buzz just to name a few. She did not get a little scared until she was older....around 18 months. And even then, she only put her head on my chest during HM and part of Pirates. And the drop on pirates has never phased her. She has never, ever cried on a ride. Start her off on something like IASM or Pooh to get her used to the ride concept. You'll know after the first ride or two if noises scare her, but most likely she will do fine. I've seen lots of babies on all of these rides. Have fun!:wave:

SteveVAB

Infants

I have to be honest here. I have seen so many couples with infants at WDW that look nothing short of having the most miserable time of their lives. Yes, it is a wonderful experience taking your child to The World for the first time but why not wait until you ALL can enjoy it and they little shaver knows what's going on? We didn't take our kids until they were 6 so they would remember it and had the chance to enjoy it. I would suggest waiting a few years but that's just my opinion.

happymom52003

I have to be honest here. I have seen so many couples with infants at WDW that look nothing short of having the most miserable time of their lives. Yes, it is a wonderful experience taking your child to The World for the first time but why not wait until you ALL can enjoy it and they little shaver knows what's going on? We didn't take our kids until they were 6 so they would remember it and had the chance to enjoy it. I would suggest waiting a few years but that's just my opinion.

Out of all of my trips to WDW in my lifetime, the first time we took our kids was the most magical of all. The week could not have been more perfect! In fact, it was much easier with an infant than a toddler! But we still have a great time when we go because we plan and work around our kid's schedules. I have seen alot of miserable parents as well....with kids of all ages. I think it really comes down to planning and realistic expectations regardless of the age of the kids. Heck, for that matter, I've seen childless couples fighting and miserable at WDW due to lack of planning!

figment3258

When my daughter was 11 months we brought her on everything that she could go on. I find no problems with bringing infants on rides. Just hold on tight to them!

The Mom

Premium Member

And it is a valid opinion, as are all opinions based on personal experience.

As long as people remember that each family might have individual circumstances which determine when a trip is most convenient.

My children were born ten years apart; telling my 10 year old that she would not get back to WDW again (after taking her multiple times) until she was 16 was not a good option for our family. :lol: (Especially since she was already upset about having a sibling)

mouselvrmom

And it is a valid opinion, as are all opinions based on personal experience.

As long as people remember that each family might have individual circumstances which determine when a trip is most convenient.

My children were born ten years apart; telling my 10 year old that she would not get back to WDW again (after taking her multiple times) until she was 16 was not a good option for our family. :lol: (Especially since she was already upset about having a sibling)

That's a very valid point, mom.

My oldest daughter didn't get to go to WDW until she was almost 6. However, we had three more kids after her and there is 10 years between her and the youngest. So my littlest one has been to disney since she was 11 months. It really is more fun if the whole family goes along.

coltow

The only thing DS was not found of at 8 months was Philharmagic, it was very loud. He liked HM, IASW, Pooh, Buzz, TTA, and the train. We took him on POTC, but the second the boat moved he fell asleep, I think mainly because it was dark and cool (it was August when we went).

hansel1

I hope this is ok to ask in this thread. But along the lines of 7 month old babies on rides, ours will be 9 months and I was wondering on how you hold your baby on the rides? Do you use a snugli, hold them in your lap or hold them to the side of you?

This is our first trip with a child and although he won't remember it, we will. We have been to the parks a few times and won't feel the need to rush to get things done, so I think he will love it.

kennedy

Original Poster
We held him on our laps. He loved any ride where the bar came inward, like Snow White, Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh, and he could hold onto the bar himself while seated my lap. For the various boat rides, sometimes I "stood" him on my lap so he could see better. But we never used a snugli.

FYI: we too had been to WDW many times, just never with an infant. Our seven month old loved it, he was great on all the rides and found them very stimulating. I personally think it's a great place to take a baby. Have fun!

mousefan1972

Our son was slightly older (13 months) for his first trip to the world, and he went on all of the rides you questioned. And he loved them all! I held him on my lap and he took it all in... now, at age 2, he's a little more wary so we may have to skip a few of the "scarier" rides next trip... :(

krisrunsdisney

Our youngest's 1st trip was when he was 10 days old (not my idea). I am pretty sure I had him in the sling. As he got older we had him on our laps, in the sling or holding him while sleeping. It depended on wake/sleep situation and the ride. It really depends on your child. Squirmy kids need more restaint on some rides. Also depends on your comfort level.

hansel1

Well, I'm really looking forward to seeing his reaction to all the different scenary. He loves people and i know he will have fun. He may not remember it, but his mom and I sure will.

KC82271

My 10.5 month old DD went on all of the ones you mentioned. The only thing was she knew she was afraid of the dark and would just bury her head in my shoulder.

Enjoy and take lots of pictures and videos - my daughter remembers at 2.5 everything from each trip because of the pictures and videos we took.

We took our DS when he was 10 months old and he did fine on most of those rides including POTC. We didn't try HM. However, we did Ellen's universe of energy, BIG MISTAKE. When you first get on the ride, they show a short movie and it ends with the big bang theory of the universe, well, it was so loud, my DS flip out the entire ride and it is a 45 minute ride that you can't get off.

MiaMouse

We took our DD to Disney when she was 9.5 months old. We had a great time and she enjoyed everything so much more than I expected. We did take her on Haunted Mansion and she enjoyed it - I think because at that age they don't know what "scary" is, although the darkness or loud/sudden noises may startle some babies. I didn't take her on POTC simply because of the drop - I was afraid that might scare her. I also didn't take her on Snow White, so I can't comment on that. I used the Baby Bjorn/Snugli on most of the rides - it was so easy and convenient! I actually used it for most of the day, instead of having to take her in and out of the stroller. The Baby Bjorn was also great for standing in line. Have a great trip!

Laura

Premium Member

Did it occur to you they might not be taking the vacation for the baby's sake?

Adults are still allowed to go have fun even after they have babies. Disney World is one of the most welcoming places you can go with an infant.

There is no reason to put your life on hold for 6 years.

My kids happen to remember every trip they've taken since they were 2, btw. :)

Laura

Premium Member

I'd take a baby on anything without a height requirement. The only limitations being shows (like the American Adventure, Hall of Presidents, etc.). Babies aren't generally amused by sitting still for long periods of time and will make the experience miserable for the parents and everyone around them. My kids are just now able to sit through shows without whining (ages 4 & 6).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom