Riders seen on 7DMT

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How many of FL attractions ONLY appeal to children? Honestly I can say Dumbo and Barnstormer...the rest appeal to the child within everyone

Those actually both appeal to me too, but I'm just a big kid:). Maybe Enchanted Tales. I think full grown adult fanbois (especially men) without kids feel a little awkward going in. They don't need to, but I think some do. The new princess hall is probably in the same boat.

Fox&Hound

I just don't understand all the hate. NFL did what is set out to do: give some more space, add a few more rides and attractions, and open up a part of the park that felt cramped. And I love the work that is going on within old Fantasyland (OFL?) to improve it as well, such as: expanded seating at Pinnochio's, new Pooh que (that's fun to say), Tangled bathroom expansion and walk way, and probably more to come. Fantasyland is a beautiful part of the park now and I love that they are moving away from the old renaissance look.

SDMT is not Tower of Terror. It's not Splash Mountain. I think as Disney continues to build: Avatar section with some thrill rides, maybe Star Wars or Pixar attractions at HS, and other rides to come, then SDMT and NFL can be enjoyed for what it is and not what people want it to be. There has not been a lot of new attractions added in recent years so people want NFL and the SDMT to be everything for everyone when it's not. SDMT is a simplistic kiddie coaster that is meant to be enjoyed by the whole family.

I almost wished Avatar had been built first and then NFL. People would be saying how great it was and how it's nice that Disney built rides for the whole family but specifically kid-friendly in FL.

flynnibus

Premium Member
There has not been a lot of new attractions added in recent years so people want NFL and the SDMT to be everything for everyone when it's not. SDMT is a simplistic kiddie coaster that is meant to be enjoyed by the whole family

The complaints are more about the quality of the attractions in how well they reasonate with the audience and return for investment. Much of it can be summed up as a 'good looking air head' - she looks fantastic, but you don't want to spend your life with them.

NormC

As a 48 year old child I think Fantasy Land is great. I think the new stuff is well done and I cannot wait to ride SDMT to see for myself how well it came out. Could things have been done better? Most likely. Did they drop the ball? Absolutely not. They have met their intended goals and created a beautiful area that is better than what it replaced. Could they have set higher goals? Yes but they could have just stuck a theater building there and been done with it. Could they have done something different? Yes, but we would still be here reading the same complaints just from different people. Some will be happy and some won't. They cannot please everyone. Changes aren't permanent but change is. WDW is a dynamic place. If it remained static it would get stale and not everyone wants nostalgia.

20K was a boring ride in a dirty pool with plastic scenery. Now I hope they continue the refresh all the way around the carousel.

Sevier

I just don't understand all the hate. NFL did what is set out to do: give some more space, add a few more rides and attractions, and open up a part of the park that felt cramped. And I love the work that is going on within old Fantasyland (OFL?) to improve it as well, such as: expanded seating at Pinnochio's, new Pooh que (that's fun to say), Tangled bathroom expansion and walk way, and probably more to come. Fantasyland is a beautiful part of the park now and I love that they are moving away from the old renaissance look.

SDMT is not Tower of Terror. It's not Splash Mountain. I think as Disney continues to build: Avatar section with some thrill rides, maybe Star Wars or Pixar attractions at HS, and other rides to come, then SDMT and NFL can be enjoyed for what it is and not what people want it to be. There has not been a lot of new attractions added in recent years so people want NFL and the SDMT to be everything for everyone when it's not. SDMT is a simplistic kiddie coaster that is meant to be enjoyed by the whole family.

I almost wished Avatar had been built first and then NFL. People would be saying how great it was and how it's nice that Disney built rides for the whole family but specifically kid-friendly in FL.

I agree with everything except your last paragraph. It's already evident that many will not be happy regardless of what they do with avatar. It has already been written off as a total failure by people on this board, even though very little is known about the attractions to come. Unfortunately, some people just go through life with that attitude.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I agree with everything except your last paragraph. It's already evident that many will not be happy regardless of what they do with avatar. It has already been written off as a total failure by people on this board, even though very little is known about the attractions to come. Unfortunately, some people just go through life with that attitude.

For someone who just joined yesterday.. you seem pretty well versed in how everyone will react. Facinating

WDWFantasmicFan

Original Poster
I'm sure NFL will be great! When I last went, the first phase was still under construction... From the photos and videos I have seen since, the detail looks great, and I feel the imagineers have done a great job! Really looking forward to visiting the attractions in NFL :)

Obviously, some people will want, and will be expecting, a BTMRR experience with 7DMT, which isn't at all what Disney planned... I'm sure it will be well designed, family coaster.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Having followed the Avatar discussion from the beginning there are a VERY small number of people who have written it off completely. Now there are a good number of people who don't like the idea of adding Avatar to AK for various reasons, and they are entitled to that opinion, but most of these people haven't completely written it off.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The hate of NFL, and pretty much all other hate being throw at Disney all come down to one pretty simple reason. Disney has spent most of it's existence creating innovative theme park attractions of the highest quality and usually exceeding people's expectations with them. Most of the criticism of Disney Parks comes from people who don't feel that Disney is living up the high standard it has set for itself.

Scuttle

The hate of NFL, and pretty much all other hate being throw at Disney all come down to one pretty simple reason. Disney has spent most of it's existence creating innovative theme park attractions of the highest quality and usually exceeding people's expectations with them. Most of the criticism of Disney Parks comes from people who don't feel that Disney is living up the high standard it has set for itself.
Yep that pretty much sums it up. Same can be said about park op/maintenance.

bhg469

I'm sure NFL will be great! When I last went, the first phase was still under construction... From the photos and videos I have seen since, the detail looks great, and I feel the imagineers have done a great job! Really looking forward to visiting the attractions in NFL :)

Obviously, some people will want, and will be expecting, a BTMRR experience with 7DMT, which isn't at all what Disney planned... I'm sure it will be well designed, family coaster.
NFL was really poorly laid out for me. It seems to jump around stories way too much. The group of pillars jutting across a path is puzzling. Mine train is in a plain old silly spot, it really is just in the way, something like that needs to be on an outer parameter. I'm approaching this as poor layout, NFL is just fine for folks but for me who is there to appreciate the scenery, its not good. Its not as bad as MGM's layout, but its not good.

Figment2005

NFL was really poorly laid out for me. It seems to jump around stories way too much. The group of pillars jutting across a path is puzzling. Mine train is in a plain old silly spot, it really is just in the way, something like that needs to be on an outer parameter. I'm approaching this as poor layout, NFL is just fine for folks but for me who is there to appreciate the scenery, its not good. Its not as bad as MGM's layout, but its not good.
So circles confuse you?

bhg469

I thought this was just about the only thing people could agree upon about NFL (that it looks nice).... I guess not. :p
I can't say it looks bad, all the separate elements do not combine well in my opinion. It seems mashed together and things that would look great on their own, do not look great next to each other. It just doesn't flow well. And yes this is my opinion but I just feel like there are too many artsy types behind the scenes trying to make their mark.

ASilmser

I can't say it looks bad, all the separate elements do not combine well in my opinion. It seems mashed together and things that would look great on their own, do not look great next to each other. It just doesn't flow well. And yes this is my opinion but I just feel like there are too many artsy types behind the scenes trying to make their mark.

That's a valid criticism, but it seems separate and contradictory from the criticism that Disney is doing things on a sub-standard level lately. When they are doing things, they are theming them on a level that I would say has not been seen at the Magic Kingdom for a long time, if ever. Do you seriously think the budget of the facades of old Fantasyland compare with the new (adjusting dollars for inflation, of course)? Even if you don't care for the "flow" or the "lines" or the "juxtaposition" of the elements, you need to admit that they have gone bonkers attempting to immerse you in the atmosphere of the "show."

What they have done with Fantasyland should be looked at in the context of what Fantasyland offers. FL is teacups and honey pots and pirate ships and little cars, and dumbos, and princesses, and nothing too fast, scary, or dangerous. It's family fun for everyone. NFL is that and more.

That said, I think people see NFL and get cranky because they see a serious lack of consideration for the OTHER parks. I Think this criticism is valid. Disney seems to be saying, "See, we made this beautiful area in Fantasyland--we even gave you THEMED BATHROOMS. This all our little Florida Property needed, and now the people will come. . . .Especially after we create DISNEY SPRINGS. . . Oh, and Have I told you about ad revenues for ESPN?"

The fact is, the other parks need a massive injection on a pretty large scale. Animal Kingdom not only needs an AVATAR make-over (budget, not theme, perhaps), but Dinosaur could use a bulldozer and a few cranes as well.

DHS makes me sad whenever I go there, because I think of how long it would take and how expensive it would be to move it to a place worthy of greatness as a Disney theme park.

EPCOT is in need of a huge Future World overhaul, as well as another country or three.

NFL is great, but I'm torn. I want to acknowledge them for what they have done right, but I think they are mistaken if they think they are done. Disney World needs a NFL-like overhaul in about 10 areas its theme park property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom