Ride suggestions for little ones

WeHeartDisney

Original Poster
Hello everyone! This will be my children's first time at US. Both are kind of chickens when it comes to rides. My oldest, 8, did go on Thunder Mountain and Mine Train at Disney, which are probably her limit. My youngest went on Mine Train but doesn't 'love' it. Any suggestions on what rides might be most suitable for them? Thank you!!!!!!

*Less than 3 weeks to go!!!

Disneyhead'71

In Universal Studios Florida

Despicable Me
Shrek
Transformers (similar in intensity to Star Tours)
ET (large scale family dark ride)
Woody Woodpecker's Nut House Coaster (similar to Barnstormer)
Simpsons
Men in Black (Buzz type shooter)
Hogwarts Express

In Islands of Adventure

Cat in the Hat (Fantasyland style dark ride)
Caro-Seuss-al
High in the Sky Trolly (Peoplemover)
Flight of the Hippogriff (similar to Barnstormer)
Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges (similar to Kali)
Spider-man (similar in intensity to Star Tours)

WeHeartDisney

Original Poster
Thank you SO much!!!!!!!! I will bring your list with me!!!! You have made this so much easier for me to plan our 3 days in the parks!!!! I appreciate your time!!

JillC LI

That's a good list above, but depending on your children, I'd look into whether they can tolerate Spider-man, Simpsons and Transformers a little more. Most everything in Seuss Land should be good for them.

WeHeartDisney

Original Poster
That's a good list above, but depending on your children, I'd look into whether they can tolerate Spider-man, Simpsons and Transformers a little more. Most everything in Seuss Land should be good for them.

Thanks! We plan on looking them all up on YouTube this weekend and see what they think!!!! I appreciate your help!!

AndrewsJ

Even
I agree. Universal rides are much more intense than anything Disney offers. Even Bluto's is measurably more intense than Kali. IMHO Universal parks are not made for non-riders, elderly and small kids.

BrerJon

Thanks! We plan on looking them all up on YouTube this weekend and see what they think!!!! I appreciate your help!!

This is a great plan. Most of the time when kids don't enjoy rides it's because of surprise and things they don't expect that freak them out. Watching YouTube videos to get an idea of what the ride is like can really help reassure them, as they will have a better idea what they're in for instead of just strapping in and hoping it won't be horrible.

Disneyhead'71

And Camp Jurassic in IOA is an awesome place for kids to play and climb.

5275657003_45d6ce673c_b.jpg

Last edited:

WeHeartDisney

Original Poster
And Camp Jurassic in IOA is an awesome place for kids to play and climb.

5275657003_45d6ce673c_b.jpg

Thank you all!!!

We spent some time yesterday looking up each and every ride on Disneyhead's list on YouTube!! My kids loved all of them!! My husband was relieved too that not every ride had a screen involved!
We did come across Camp Jurassic too and the ride they had within that area that we will try as well!
Corey- I didn't see your post yesterday when we were searching but I'll definitely look that up in the Curious George area! They'd probably like that!
My kids are really excited!!! Thank you again to everyone who has contributed! We have a little over 2 weeks to go!!!!!!!!!!!

thomas998

In Universal Studios Florida

Despicable Me
Shrek
Transformers (similar in intensity to Star Tours)
ET (large scale family dark ride)
Woody Woodpecker's Nut House Coaster (similar to Barnstormer)
Simpsons
Men in Black (Buzz type shooter)
Hogwarts Express

In Islands of Adventure

Cat in the Hat (Fantasyland style dark ride)
Caro-Seuss-al
High in the Sky Trolly (Peoplemover)
Flight of the Hippogriff (similar to Barnstormer)
Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges (similar to Kali)
Spider-man (similar in intensity to Star Tours)

You can probably add Jurasic Park River Adventure to your list of rides kids can handle. It is pretty much a cross between a log ride and the jungle cruise... Has one large drop at the very end that can get some people wet but not all... but is otherwise pretty tame.

Also Pteranodon Flyers as long as they don't mind being up in the air, it is very mild but if kids don't like to be above the ground it wouldn't be a good idea.

Also Dudley Do Right's Ripsaw Falls is a log ride, more intense than Splash Mountain.

A word of warning on the Bilge Rat Barges, this ride is way beyond Kali in terms of how wet you will get. We road it and every single person on are raft was completely drenched in water to the point that everything made of paper in my wallet was destroyed... If you ride it make sure anything you have of value that isn't water proof is stored in a locker or you have it in a plastic bag... I've never been that worried with things on Kali and assumed it would be the same it isn't.

One other thing to remember... Universal is pretty hardcore on you not taking things on certain rides, their solution is to have lockers available for those rides but the locker size is limited so don't go to Universal with lots of stuff because you will have difficulties storing it for each ride.... Other thing to consider is that your kids will likely want a wand from Harry Potters, if you get one they are a pain in the backside to get into some of the lockers so it is best if you can hold off on them until the end of the day, or at least until after you have ridden the rides that require you leave stuff in a locker.... The only ride that I see on the list that I am certain requires you to use a locker is the Men in Black... But if you ride the Jurasic Park River Adventure or Bluto Barges you will want to use one just to keep stuff dry.

JoeCamel

You can probably add Jurasic Park River Adventure to your list of rides kids can handle. It is pretty much a cross between a log ride and the jungle cruise... Has one large drop at the very end that can get some people wet but not all... but is otherwise pretty tame.

Also Pteranodon Flyers as long as they don't mind being up in the air, it is very mild but if kids don't like to be above the ground it wouldn't be a good idea.

Also Dudley Do Right's Ripsaw Falls is a log ride, more intense than Splash Mountain.

A word of warning on the Bilge Rat Barges, this ride is way beyond Kali in terms of how wet you will get. We road it and every single person on are raft was completely drenched in water to the point that everything made of paper in my wallet was destroyed... If you ride it make sure anything you have of value that isn't water proof is stored in a locker or you have it in a plastic bag... I've never been that worried with things on Kali and assumed it would be the same it isn't.

One other thing to remember... Universal is pretty hardcore on you not taking things on certain rides, their solution is to have lockers available for those rides but the locker size is limited so don't go to Universal with lots of stuff because you will have difficulties storing it for each ride.... Other thing to consider is that your kids will likely want a wand from Harry Potters, if you get one they are a pain in the backside to get into some of the lockers so it is best if you can hold off on them until the end of the day, or at least until after you have ridden the rides that require you leave stuff in a locker.... The only ride that I see on the list that I am certain requires you to use a locker is the Men in Black... But if you ride the Jurasic Park River Adventure or Bluto Barges you will want to use one just to keep stuff dry.

If you have more than one member in your party there is nothing stopping you from getting more than one "free" locker

WeHeartDisney

Original Poster

Thank you very much!!!!!! We actually will be avoiding water rides! I hate wet clothing so thoes are a definite no! LOL thanks for the locker heads up! I appreciate it!!!

Last edited:

thomas998

If you have more than one member in your party there is nothing stopping you from getting more than one "free" locker
That's true... But if you do get one of the Harry Potter wands the boxes are so long that they are a pain to get into a locker even by themselves... We were having to put them in at an angle at some of the lockers just to get it too fit.

thomas998

Thank you very much!!!!!! We actually will be avoiding water rides! I hate wet clothing so thoes are a definite no! LOL thanks for the locker heads up! I appreciate it!!!
Oh, if you do think your kids want one of the Harry Potter wands to do the goofy spells in that part of the park you can often times pick one up off ebay for less than cost in the park... And even if it only saves you 5 or 10 dollars it will also allow you to avoid having to go into the shop to buy one... If on the other hand you decide to buy it at the park know that there are two ways to do it, you can stand in a very long line so that you see show where a wand is selected, or just skip that show altogether and go to the shop selling them... If you are pressed for time I would not recommend doing the selection line for the wand just go to the store, your kids will never know what they missed if you don't tell them and it will save you a lot of time.

JillC LI

Oh, if you do think your kids want one of the Harry Potter wands to do the goofy spells in that part of the park you can often times pick one up off ebay for less than cost in the park... And even if it only saves you 5 or 10 dollars it will also allow you to avoid having to go into the shop to buy one... If on the other hand you decide to buy it at the park know that there are two ways to do it, you can stand in a very long line so that you see show where a wand is selected, or just skip that show altogether and go to the shop selling them... If you are pressed for time I would not recommend doing the selection line for the wand just go to the store, your kids will never know what they missed if you don't tell them and it will save you a lot of time.

Yes, but if your child is chosen to be part of the show, as mine was, then it is well worth the memories. We went there first thing at park opening and didn't wait at all.

thomas998

Yes, but if your child is chosen to be part of the show, as mine was, then it is well worth the memories. We went there first thing at park opening and didn't wait at all.
Yes... if your kid is picked it will be well worth it... but the OP has multiple kids and that means the odds are pretty good that they aren't all going to be happy campers... In my experience its better to have neither of your kids get picked for any of these type of things than for only 1.

JillC LI

Yes... if your kid is picked it will be well worth it... but the OP has multiple kids and that means the odds are pretty good that they aren't all going to be happy campers... In my experience its better to have neither of your kids get picked for any of these type of things than for only 1.

Sometimes. I have two kids as well, but only one was a serious Harry Potter fan. Just wanted to mention going to Olivanders first thing after park opening if the OP has any interest in seeing the show without a long wait.

WeHeartDisney

Original Poster
Thank you all for the advice! They definitely want wands!!!!! My friend also recommended the show so we plan on checking it out. We will be in the parks 3 days so we have time to waste! LOL

BrerJon

Sometimes. I have two kids as well, but only one was a serious Harry Potter fan. Just wanted to mention going to Olivanders first thing after park opening if the OP has any interest in seeing the show without a long wait.

For the wands, always go to the Ollivanders in Diagon Alley. The wait is never nearly as long as in the Hogsmeade one, and they do the same wand picking show so you can go back a few times if you want to get picked.

WeHeartDisney

Original Poster
For the wands, always go to the Ollivanders in Diagon Alley. The wait is never nearly as long as in the Hogsmeade one, and they do the same wand picking show so you can go back a few times if you want to get picked.

Thank you! Yes a wand is 'high priority ' for my kids after seeing videos on YouTube! LOL I'll definitely take your advice!!!

We have a little over a week to go!!! :happy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom