Ride Stoppage/Breakdown Stories

Raineman

Original Poster
Seeing as most of threads on this subject are quite inactive, I thought I might get a new one started.

Here is my contribution, all from the same day at MK last March:

POTC: The ride was stopped for about 10-15 minutes. Our boat was at the section of the ride where Jack Sparrow pops up out of the barrel, and it was bumper to bumper, with the lights on. There had to be at least 4 or 5 CM announcements before the ride restarted.

HM: The ride was stopped for at least 15 min. I had just gotten into my doom buggy, and the buggy in front was just about to go through the initial entryway to the ride. I got to watch the CM troubleshoot the ride issues on the touchscreen at her kiosk, which was interesting.

PM: The shortest stoppage of the day-less than 5 minutes. We were stopped just as the train was leaving the boarding area.

IASW: The absolute last ride I would ever want to stop while I was on it lol. Only about 10 minutes-but felt like at least an hour. Once again, boats were bumper to bumper, right near the end, just before the doorway leading into the room with "goodbye" in the different languages. After hearing that song, over and over, I felt my sanity slowly slipping away, until the boat started moving again...

Jahona

POTC: Right before the burning buildings scene with a couple of drunk pirates. Stopped for about 5-10 minutes. Wasn't to bad as we were singing Irish drinking songs.

HM: stopped several times for a few minutes at a time. I think it was probably to unload or load disabled guests.

Spaceship Earth: This was a long one. Moved up the fastpass line and was about to load when the ride just stopped. CMs were running around and pulling panels open on the ride computer trying to figure out what was going on. We waited about 30 minutes till someone from higher up with more knowledge came by and got the ride working at least temporarily. The ride stopped again while we were on it right at the Egyptian scene. We got to listen to the same spiel over and over for about 20-30 minutes till the ride started back up again.

Mission Space: Got into position on the numbers to enter the ride vehicle on the orange side. Pre-show completed but the doors didn't open. After waiting for about 10 minutes and getting annoyed by a tour group, I went to go find a CM and ask what the issue was. CM Didn't realize the ride wasn't functioning. Eventually we were moved into another orange side.

Dwarful

We were stuck on PM for about 10 minutes before the CM's began walking the track and manually opening the doors to the vehicles and allowing people to walk off the ride. We were close the the exit, walked through the last tunnel area and then to the platform and down a non-moving ramp.

belledream

Dinosaur: Had just finished the ride and asked to stay on (It was empty). Wish was granted, but then the lights at the turned up a bit. CM said another CM had fallen into the track and was ok, we'd just be waiting a little bit. Not sure where the incident occurred because we were sitting right at the loading dock. We tried to take a picture and the CM was jokingly said, "Don't put me on Instagram! My parents don't know I don't have a real job!" Lol. While we sat there, I was glad that we weren't in the ride because being the Disney purist that I am, I would've been scarred to see all the lights on and have the magic ruined! :p After about 10 minutes or so, they let us off the ride and we got a paper FP to come back later.

RubyLee

I was stuck for about thirty minutes on HM a few years ago at the dining room scene. It was so unbelievably cool that thirty minutes seemed like three-there were so many elements I never noticed until I had the time to really look at every nook & cranny of the scene! I was bummed when it actually started back.

mouse_luv

Over the many years that we have visited, we've been stuck in many rides...some that I can't remember all the details.
I will though point out some of the ones that are more significant to me or are more recent.

The Living Seas- August 1995- We we're in warnings at WDW because of Hurricane Erin. I was scared of that ride (the hydrolaters scared the poo out of me for some reason) I guess because I am terrified of elevators to begin with and thinking these were powered by the water didnt help. Well, while we were in the hydrolater, we lost power. Thankfully we were on the one floor and my dad as well as other men in the elevator were able to ply the doors open. When the doors open we see (it was pretty dark though) crazy people from those S. Am tour groups holding up lighters to the gas pipes that were running along the ceiling of the area. We were all screaming at them to stop. Anyway, we were finally able to leave through an emergency exit but it was scary. Turns out what had happened was in prep for the hurricane that was projected to hit Miami, Orlando gave Miami permission to pull from their power sources and they accidentally pulled from Disney's instead (this is what we were told at the time). That was the last time I ever rode that and was glad :hilarious:. BTW-That hurricane ended up diverting its course and came across central FL so we rode it out on Disney property. Fun times! :confused:

My other ones were more recent.
We've gotten stuck many a time in the Haunted Mansion, which I never mind because it's my fave ride. Most of the time though, it's in a crappy part of the graveyard (where you only see the ghosts that pop up nothing much else). Or going backwards falling out of the attic.
One time I actually got stopped in the ballroom scene and was elated! And once in the Library. I've always wanted to get stuck in the Attic scene.

SSE:
I've gotten stuck in here so many times it's crazy. Usually in the Rome scene (with the horses), not burning "Rome" which is actually burning Alexandria.
Last trip we got stuck in the scene with the family watching the moon landing, that got old quick haha. And on the backwards descent, which I hate because it hurts your neck.

Always get stuck on PoTC. Usually near the "We wants the Redhead!" part and yes I always say it lol and also by the jail scene.

And last years trip we got stuck on TTA in the pitch black in SM. I was so afraid another car was going to run into us. :in pain:

RichS

We have been stuck on almost every ride but haven't been evacuated from any. We joke about what's going to break next.
The best one was on old Test Track. Once we passed the screen that tells you the MPH, the brakes locked up and the car came to a smoky stop pretty quick. We were stuck on the steep angle for about 20 min. My wife was in the front seat with my younger sisters. I was in the back with two German teens trying not to crush them. We stayed on to ride again and it stopped in the middle.

betty rose

Funny, seeing how all the stuff works IS the magic for me. I love seeing how reality creates the magic.
I agree. Once we were in the middle of CoP, and it just stopped. Couldn't get going again, so we got to go out the back area....which was fun for the grand boy's.

aw14

My mother, who hates rides and fun it seems :), was on space mountain with my sister back in 1994. It broke down the one time she was brave enough to go on it. They actually had to disembark and walk down. Makes me laugh every time I think about it.

For us (me, DW & DD), we have never really minded being stuck. We have been stuck on HM, Splash, POTC as well as many others. Our thought is even being stuck, it is a better day being there than anywhere else. ;)

bethymouse

Always get "stuck" on Splash ( ....causin a commotion...), Haunted Mansion usually stops too. We stopped one time going up the big mountain on BTMRR for about 5 minutes! SSE seems to stop as well for 10-15 minutes sometimes.
When my boys were 4, 1st time on Test Track, we were stopped holding up sideways on the outside track for about 10 minutes or so! They let us ride again, but my 1 boy was very scared! The CMs took him up to the control room to show him how things work ( a very memorable ocassion). About 15 minutes later my little guy wanted to ride it again! They're 10 now and it's their fave ride!:D

betty rose

:joyfull:
Always get "stuck" on Splash ( ....causin a commotion...), Haunted Mansion usually stops too. We stopped one time going up the big mountain on BTMRR for about 5 minutes! SSE seems to stop as well for 10-15 minutes sometimes.
When my boys were 4, 1st time on Test Track, we were stopped holding up sideways on the outside track for about 10 minutes or so! They let us ride again, but my 1 boy was very scared! The CMs took him up to the control room to show him how things work ( a very memorable ocassion). About 15 minutes later my little guy wanted to ride it again! They're 10 now and it's their fave ride!:D
My grandkids love Haunted Mansion for the same reason, getting to stop one this ride.....and they still hope it will happen, was so much fun for them...and grandma and grandpa too.:joyfull: Sorry, I messed up this post. I so love to remember what my grandkids like that my fingers go faster than my mind!

betty rose

:joyfull:
My grandkids love Haunted Mansion for the same reason, getting to stop one this ride.....and they still hope it will happen, was so much fun for them...and grandma and grandpa too.:joyfull: Sorry, I messed up this post. I so love to remember what my grandkids like that my fingers go faster than my mind!
See the joyful at the beginning of the post. :oops::rolleyes:

DisneyPrincess5

We have been stopped temporarily many times on Haunted Mansion and Pirates but we have been evacuated only once ever. DH hates Energy but does it for me. Last time we rode it, he had a major nausea fit over the big screens. He was so nauseous, he had to put his head down and close his eyes to stop from vomiting and like a beam from heaven, all the lights came on and we had to evacuate. Thanks for the breakdown!

betty rose

We have been stopped temporarily many times on Haunted Mansion and Pirates but we have been evacuated only once ever. DH hates Energy but does it for me. Last time we rode it, he had a major nausea fit over the big screens. He was so nauseous, he had to put his head down and close his eyes to stop from vomiting and like a beam from heaven, all the lights came on and we had to evacuate. Thanks for the breakdown!
So sorry for your husband, my husband is the same, with almost anything that moves, ha...we do a lot less now.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom