Ride Showdown: Indiana Jones or Dinosaur?

Which is your favorite: Indy or Dino

• Dinosaur (former Countdown to Extinction)

Votes: 32 27.6%
  • Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye

Votes: 84 72.4%

• Total voters

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Original Poster
Another thread is debating whether Disneyland's Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye or Animal Kingdom's Dinosaur (former Countdown to Extinction) is the superior ride.

If you've been on both, please vote in the poll above and come on down to tell us why you think your choice is the better rendition of this ride system.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Hands down Indy. Indy has a better theme and seems more like an adventure. The effect are better and it is so cool to cross the bridge with the little bursts of "fire". Both are a little jerky and rough, but I don't mind it on the Indy ride, it just seems to be more exciting and part of the story.

I might be biased though because the Indiana Jones movies are some of my favorites of all time and I really couldn't give two hoots about Dinosaurs. Although I did ride the Dinosaur ride before I rode Indy, which would usually mean I would like it better but Indy is so much better.

HonorableMention

Love both. Indy is better in most ways then Dinosaur (theming, lighting, effects, etc.) but I really love Dinosaur too, especially with all of its effects working.

I also like Dino because of its interesting history. I always found the story of its planned name change to the abandoning of tons of effects sad and fascinating.

People like to claim Dino is the "dark warehouse" ride but I still love it sometimes on par with Indy.

disneygeek90

Dinosaur will always have a soft spot for me. I find the darkness actually adds to the creepiness of it and really appreciate the enhancements they made with the refurb. While I will admit that Indy is probably stronger, I love Dinosaur so much. I go on Dino much more often than Indy too, so it does feel more “thrilling” to me now just because I have been on Dino 100 times, but Dinosaur still gets my vote.

soxpackersdisneyhawks

Rode Dinosaur 1st, thought it was awesome then made the trip west in January and have to say Indy takes the cake.

But I do quote Dino quite a bit when the wife gets on my nerves or when the traffic light turns yellow "were not gona make it, were not gona make it!"

Minnie Mum

I really, really liked Dinosaur. We would ride it multiple times every visit. And then we went to DLR. Indy just BLEW. MY. MIND. It is just so immersive, starting as you enter the queue and continuing all through the ride. It's now the first thing we head to when we make the long trek to SoCal.

Daveeeeed

It’s not even fair to compare them. There is a wide gap in the budget for Dinosaur to Indy, and because of that, there is a clear victor. The only way you can say Dinosaur is better is because of nostalgia or history. The ride experience from the story, to the defects, the theming, the queue, the implementation of the hydraulics, are all so much better done in Indy. Indy is I guess you could say a super-headliner like WDW’s Splash Mountain or Radiator Springs Racers, while Dinosaur is merely a standard E-ticket like Soarin’ or Rock n’ Rollercoaster. Indy also happens to be one of the only rides at Disneyland that has on average longer waits than WDW’s rides, but to me, it’s worth the extra wait every time.

Yes, Dinosaur is still cool, but from the preshow, to the boarding room, Indy is the unrivaled, most realistic, screenless dark ride ever built in America (which means most realistic as well). Using mega sets and effects like the lava bursts also cost a LOT more money than simply using screens, but the result is something special. There’s something said too about having epic music playing through the ride to some maniac yelling.
It could be your opinion that you prefer Dinosaur to Indy, but there was a clear objective by the budget of each attraction, to have Indiana Jones Adventure as the superior attraction.

Dinosaur will always have a soft spot for me. I find the darkness actually adds to the creepiness of it and really appreciate the enhancements they made with the refurb. While I will admit that Indy is probably stronger, I love Dinosaur so much. I go on Dino much more often than Indy too, so it does feel more “thrilling” to me now just because I have been on Dino 100 times, but Dinosaur still gets my vote.
Indy is a rougher ride anyway. Height requirement is also 6 inches taller, so I’d assume at least part of the increase is the wider range of vehicle movements. The hydraulics are also synced far superior, and it blows my mind how even with a much smaller budget they did not include a single good sync on Dinosaur. The ride tech was wasted as it’s full potentiometer was never realized, and there’s frankly ZERO to look at in except for the first 2 scenes. I know it’s called a dark ride but come on! Yes, it does help a bit with the suspense to the Dinosaur story, but Indiana Jones has 2 dark scenes, but they work sooooo well. Another case of Indy incorporating things better. But again even theming aside the thing that bugs me the most is that they COULDN’T INCORPORATE THE MOVEMENTS INTO THE SCENE AT ALL ON CTX. Budgets suck. The CTX days really could never compare to Indy anyway. And I understand you like it because it still is a decent ride, but what on Earth makes it a better ride? Having virtually no show scenes? Having an annoying narrator guide you? It just does not make sense.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Dinosaur is a waste of the system. You could be in a motion seat like Shrek and get most of the same thing. The whole idea of being in a moving vehicle is almost lost because the motion is SO extreme and there is almost NOTHING to establish your location/view with. It's literally just being jerked around in the dark... oh look.. meteor... oh look... Dino... more meteors.. Dino... FINISH!

disneygeek90

Dinosaur is a waste of the system. You could be in a motion seat like Shrek and get most of the same thing. The whole idea of being in a moving vehicle is almost lost because the motion is SO extreme and there is almost NOTHING to establish your location/view with. It's literally just being jerked around in the dark... oh look.. meteor... oh look... Dino... more meteors.. Dino... FINISH!
In the newfound love of theme park simulators, I think having Dino not being one is a huge plus.

Mickey5150

I love them both but the thing that always bothers me about Indiana Jones is when you get out in the open and you are watching other cars on the ride. That puts me back on a theme park ride instead of on an adventure. Yes that kinda happens in Dinosaur but it's too dark to really notice. Either way both rides are awesome and I wish Disney would do more with the tech. I want a green and orange version, where the track is the same but you can have the car motion turned down so more people could enjoy the rides.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In the newfound love of theme park simulators, I think having Dino not being one is a huge plus.

How can you tell? You can't see anything! I could put a bag on your head, sit you in a chair, and shake the bejezzus out of it and flash a strobe at you.. and it would be 85% of what Dinosaur is.

Daveeeeed

I love them both but the thing that always bothers me about Indiana Jones is when you get out in the open and you are watching other cars on the ride. That puts me back on a theme park ride instead of on an adventure. Yes that kinda happens in Dinosaur but it's too dark to really notice. Either way both rides are awesome and I wish Disney would do more with the tech. I want a green and orange version, where the track is the same but you can have the car motion turned down so more people could enjoy the rides.
The only time you can see other cars are in the big room, and that was done on purpose. It literally adds to the experience. Different cars going on this ‘mission’. It’s fairly obvious that the ride’s intention storywise is more than 1 car.

Daveeeeed

Have you been on it since the refurb? The lighting is much better, imo.
Yes, but it still pales in comparison. Disney World’s Potc is great, but Disneyland is is another league. The exact same comparison relevant here. Indy is by far the superior attraction in the same way Disneyland’s POTC is. You of course can like one more than the other, but there is a clear superior and higher quality attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom