Ride Capacities (Everest and Splash Mountain)

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
I was looking around for Ride Capacities of Disney rides and I thought I'd do some of the calculations myself because I couldn't find them.

Splash Mountain runs between 50 and 54 boats, the ride is approximately 10:30. Seeing as load and unloading times are factored into this and there are 8 people per boat I can estimate Splash Mountain's capacity at approximately 2285 per hour, (that's w/50 boats) however it's probably closer to 2000 given the empty seats often put in boats when guests have odd # of guests in their party.

With Everest these projections are a little trickier because we don't know how many trains are going to be on the tracks and how long the ride is. We know their are separate loading and unloading zones, so there will be at least 3 trains. One in the ride, one in the loading area, and one in the unloading area. My guess is that there will be 4.

If the ride is 3 minutes, and if loading and unloading is a minute a piece, I can estimate Everest's capacity at 1632 per hour. Again, given certain variables this is probably closer to 1500, but for a short ride it should move people relatively well.

Seems like just yesterday I was doing closing procedures at Jungle Cruise and checking our numbers to see if we reached our OHRC (Operational hourly ride capacity)...ahhh memories.

RSoxNo1 said:
Splash Mountain runs between 50 and 54 boats, the ride is approximately 10:30. Seeing as load and unloading times are factored into this and there are 8 people per boat I can estimate Splash Mountain's capacity at approximately 2285 per hour, (that's w/50 boats) however it's probably closer to 2000 given the empty seats often put in boats when guests have odd # of guests in their party.

At splash we usually dont run 50-54 logs. Its usually anywhere from 46-49. Our official OHRC is 1800. We try our hardest to hit that 1800 but dont always do it. Out OHRC really all depends on the dispatcher, the loader, and the unloader. If we all work together like a well oiled machine we can punch out anywhere from 1800-2000. The most I have seen is 1900, but I dont check our counts each hour.

And for a comparison to everest. I dont know what they are shooting for and they wont know until the ride is handed over to the operations team. right now its still the imagineers ride I believe. Revenge of the Mummy at UO is around 2000. My roomate is a lead there and the highest they have hit is 2316.

mkepcotmgmak

Mouse's Magic said:
Seems like just yesterday I was doing closing procedures at Jungle Cruise and checking our numbers to see if we reached our OHRC (Operational hourly ride capacity)...ahhh memories.

i was just thinking the SAME THING for Aladdin, Tiki, Tree... haha!

*grabs clipboard and looks at turnstiles*

Absimilliard

I was...

A CM on Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris in 2001. Back then, the ride could 5 trains at once, 24 people to a train on a 36 seconds launch interval. PPH (Theoritical people per hour) was 2400 and we usually did 2350-2375 guests an hour with 5 trains running.

Jose Eber

RSoxNo1 said:
I was looking around for Ride Capacities of Disney rides and I thought I'd do some of the calculations myself because I couldn't find them.

see Post 101 This was briefly discussed.

Cast trainers and head trainer are shooting for upper 1800's an hour. Realistically they'll have 4 trains going with just over a 4 minute full cycle. A 5 train operation is possible.

4 trains at a time x 32 folks per train = 1920 -- give some leeway -- upper 1800's.

beanboon

Hourly capacity is more a function of how many passengers per vehicle and how many dispatches per hour. You don't really use the number of vehicles to figure out capacity. (You CAN, but that seems to me to be the hard way).

If Splash has a THRC of 1800 and the boats hold 8 passengers, that suggests a dispatch interval of 16 seconds. (1800 passengers per hour / 8 passengers per dispatch = 225 dispatches per hour. 3600 seconds / 225 dispatches = 16 seconds per dispatch.) This is asssuming 8 passengers per dispatch, I don't know what Splash's actual number is. You can watch a ride dispatch for a few minutes, noting the average dispatch interval and easily figure out what capacity they're running at at any given moment. 16 seconds is aggressive, considering the nature of guests. At least there are no lap bars to check.

If Everest has a dispatch every 62 seconds and 32 passengers per dispatch you would have 1858 passengers per hour.

The number of vehicles is a function of track length, ie: you want to figure out just the right amount of vehicles to where you always have one available to load. Too many vehicles and you wasted your money. Too few vehicles and you'll have a gap where there is no vehicle ready, and your capacity will suffer. Of course you'll have more than you need in case you have issues with any vehicles on line.

Tom

Beta Return
beanboon said:
Hourly capacity is more a function of how many passengers per vehicle and how many dispatches per hour. You don't really use the number of vehicles to figure out capacity. (You CAN, but that seems to me to be the hard way).

If Splash has a THRC of 1800 and the boats hold 8 passengers, that suggests a dispatch interval of 16 seconds. (1800 passengers per hour / 8 passengers per dispatch = 225 dispatches per hour. 3600 seconds / 225 dispatches = 16 seconds per dispatch.) This is asssuming 8 passengers per dispatch, I don't know what Splash's actual number is. You can watch a ride dispatch for a few minutes, noting the average dispatch interval and easily figure out what capacity they're running at at any given moment. 16 seconds is aggressive, considering the nature of guests. At least there are no lap bars to check.

If Everest has a dispatch every 62 seconds and 32 passengers per dispatch you would have 1858 passengers per hour.

The number of vehicles is a function of track length, ie: you want to figure out just the right amount of vehicles to where you always have one available to load. Too many vehicles and you wasted your money. Too few vehicles and you'll have a gap where there is no vehicle ready, and your capacity will suffer. Of course you'll have more than you need in case you have issues with any vehicles on line.

Excellent explanation. I couldn't have done it better, or in as few words as you used. Kudos!

Main Street Jim

To add to Mickeyman...yes, Splash is 1,800 per hour. When I worked out there (and I was a trainer as well) two years ago, me and most of the full-time Cast there that I worked with could hit that number every hour, even on most slow days (unless it was cold out when there was less than 15,000 people in the park). We would dispatch logs approximately every 11 seconds or so, running 48-52 logs. Our "younger" (less-senior, like CPs) Cast, for some reason, could hardly hit the numbers that we would. I've seen as high as 2,000, almost 2,100 an hour at Splash on *busy* days with a good team of load/unload/dispatch, with triple-dispatch (Mickeyman would know what I mean). So the original poster was *pretty* close into figuring those numbers. What kills it is when you have intrusions, attraction breakdowns and resets, etc.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
What about for Epcot's big 3?

I know Test Track has problems with the large amount of down time, but I'm guessing that almost every car they send out (when it's not down) is full. It seems that this is the slowest moving of all Disney lines, but there really doesnt' seem to be a foreseeable way to improve it much.

Mission Space's centrifuges can hold 40 people each (I think their are two centrifuges, but I'm not certain - the ride makes me a little queezy so I haven't been on for a couple years). Not sure on ride/unload time here either.

Soarin' has two screens, and I believe each has a 90 guest capacity. Again, not certain on the ride/unload times for this.

Beanboon, you can use the number of vehicles because they give you the total capacity at any one time. If you have 50 logs in Splash Mountain you can have 400 possible people in the attraction. If the total ride/cycle time (including loading/unloading) is 12 minutes you can thereotically have 5 complete cycles of logs and have a maximum capacity of 2000 people. It's really just a different way of solving the same problem. I've studied operational effeciency in great detail - but these numbers are fairly rudimentary. I understand that not every log will have 8 passengers, and not every cycle time will be 12 minutes. I also understand that the numbers you're using to gauge a ride's capacity are essentially the same information I'm using, just in a different format.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
I should also note that Disney makes a conscious effort to make their rides more spacious to get in and out of. This undoubtedly speeds up loading and unloading, especially when combined with separate areas for each.

beanboon

Yes, you CAN do it that way, but you have to arrive upon 50 logs in your calculations somewhere. Your method requires additional calculations, that's all.

You can divide your total track length by the average speed of your ride car (try figuring out the average speed of a flume ride) and this will tell you how many seconds the ride is. Divide this by your dispatch interval to find out how many cars can be in the attraction at any given time (each one is 16 or so seconds apart, depending on dispatch). You'll probably end up with the last vehicle in sequence not a full dispatch interval away from the unload station.. it gets messy.

Or, you can time the dispatches and know your ride capacity. If you know your minimum possible dispatch time you also know your maximum capacity.

RSoxNo1 said:
Beanboon, you can use the number of vehicles because they give you the total capacity at any one time. If you have 50 logs in Splash Mountain you can have 400 possible people in the attraction. If the total ride/cycle time (including loading/unloading) is 12 minutes you can thereotically have 5 complete cycles of logs and have a maximum capacity of 2000 people. It's really just a different way of solving the same problem. I've studied operational effeciency in great detail - but these numbers are fairly rudimentary. I understand that not every log will have 8 passengers, and not every cycle time will be 12 minutes. I also understand that the numbers you're using to gauge a ride's capacity are essentially the same information I'm using, just in a different format.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
We're arguing apples and apples here. All I did was take the # of ride vehicles: 50, capacity per vehicle: 8, and number of ride cycles per hour:5 (12 minute cycles), to get approximately 2000. I arrive at the 50 logs by counting the logs (or looking at a website that said they usually have around 50 logs on). If I'm standing in line however, i'd obviously just time the dispatch intervals. It really makes no difference if in the end we're computing the same numbers.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
M:S should be nearly identicle to Body Wars which was roughly 1900. (1964 sounds right for some reason). 40 people on 5 mins flights in 4 "vehicles."

SSE is 2200. Energy is 1716.

I know for some reason that Test Track vehicles are 12 seconds apart and there can be a max of 27 vehicles on the track (feel free to correct me - for some reason those stats are in there). That means the ride is 5mins, 24 seconds long. So, say 5.5 mins for a cycle, 10.9 cycles per hour, 27 vehicles each holding 6 people.. comes out to roughly 1765.

I think the actual OHRC is like 1800, so that is about right.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
Good stuff, thanks guys.

I would have expected SSE to be a little higher after reading that it was the singlemost viewed attraction in theme park history.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
SSE operating for 12+ hours a day with a constant line, being at the front of the park, and minimal downtime at 2200 per hour (which i admit i think is a little low, possibly 2400 - but 2200 sounds more rational).

So, 12 hours times 2200 (it's not hard for it to reach it's goal, the seating pattern is really good) is 26,400. That's a busy day in the park if it's taking 70-80% of park total (meanign the park total for the day is 33,000-37,000 or "busyish" - last years daily average was 26,000) taking in possibly 9.6 million people in a 9am-9pm operational year. (Last year the park was estimated at 9.4mil - the the past when Epcot first opened it was higher.)

So, it's very possible for SSE to get almost everyone who goes to Epcot on a given day, whereas many attractions simply can't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom