Trip Report RETRO TR: WDW August 1974 Words & Pics

After our visit to WDW on opening day in 1971 Becky and I vowed to return ASAP. We couldn’t make it in 1972 because I had a commitment with a band I was in to play for a national convention in New Orleans. A free trip to the Big Easy was hard to pass up and Becky got to go along at a reduced rate. I believe 1973 was a year necessary to sober up from the NO trip. That town runs on 80 proof morning, noon and all night.:rolleyes:

As 1974 rang in we had talked so much about our monumental Disney experience that Becky’s older sister, Janet, said “Let’s go”. Janet had traveled some more than Becky but never to Florida or an ocean. We made tentative plans to travel in the summer but no firm reservations were considered.:cool:

In the wee hours of the morning on Saturday, August 24, 1974 we headed south for the sunshine state. We took our Fiat 124 Sport Coupe which was a hard top version of the convertible Fiat Spider. The car was just large enough to pack in the necessities for three twenty something travelers seeking an adventure. We anticipated good fuel mileage because the Fiat had a 5 speed manual transmission. The government change of the speed limit to 55 MPH shot a hole in our good mileage plans. The fifth gear was designed to be most efficient at 60 MPH and above. Since I am one who does not take flash photography when asked not to and abides by posted speed limits I was a little bummed by the unfortunate Italian auto’s ability and the USA hindering speed sanctions.:grumpy: We still achieved better than 37 MPG overall trip average.:)

By the time we crossed the Ohio River into KY we encountered a heavy fog. The farther south we traveled the worse the fog got. It eventually developed into the worst conditions I have ever encountered. I had my face plastered against the windshield and still could not see the front of my vehicle and it was a small vehicle. We finally managed to locate a rest area and pulled in behind a semi-truck I had been following for a long while. I got a beach towel out of the car and stretched out on a picnic table. The tension I had undergone was unbelievable but the rest on the picnic table did help. The truckers in the rest area were buzzing about an accident on the highway. The emergency crews were unable to locate the wreck even though they had driven past it several times.:eek: The sun was coming up and we hit the road again hoping that the fog would soon burn off. It didn’t lift until early afternoon when we stopped to eat. The chatter in the restaurant was all about the fog and how it was the worst ever.

After some chow I asked Becky to drive for a while. She totally hates driving on the highway with an irrepressible passion but agreed to give me a breather. Janet did not know how to drive a stick shift so Becky was the only option. I am 6’1” and scrunching up in the back seat was a chore but after the hours of apprehensive white knuckles on the steering wheel driving I needed to chill.

All went well for a while until I heard hooping and hollowing coming from outside our vehicle. I reared up and peered out the window at two “good ole boys” in a pickup truck with a rebel flag flapping in the truck bed trying to get the attention of the two females in the little Italian car as it rolled thru Tennessee. When these fellows got glimpse of my blurry eyed face you would thought that General Sherman had raised from the grave and was going to reap havoc on them and their “stars & bars” truck.:arghh: They took off like a southern whirlwind never to be seen by these Buckeyes again for the rest of our journey. We all had a real good laugh.:p

We stopped for the night at a Davis Brothers motel just south of Atlanta and got a much needed good night’s sleep. We awoke fairly early the following morning and ate a free breakfast at the Davis Brothers cafeteria. You could have one entrée and anything else you wanted. This was a really nice way to start our morning.

We piled into the Fiat and made our way to Daytona Beach. We stopped at a Stuckeys and got gas that came with a free box of chocolates with a fill up. Remember when gas stations offered incentive to buy their product?:greedy: We arrived at Daytona in early evening and found a room at The Inn On The Beach Motel. The girls called home to let their family know we had arrived safely and everyone went for a swim. Janet thought the ocean was terrific and Becky was happy it was calmer than her first experience three years earlier when hurricane Ginger was off the coast.

Inn On The Beach
View attachment 107906

The next morning I awoke early and rousted the girls from their sleep to watch the sunrise over the Atlantic Ocean. Needless to say, I was not high on the list of favorite BIL or DH that early AM. But after viewing the spectacular moment all was forgiven.

View attachment 107907

View attachment 107909
Smiles and forgiveness.

View attachment 107910
View attachment 107911

Becky and Janet wanted to go shopping that morning. They bought some Florida friendly attire and some new bathing suits. I got new swim trunks too. The swimwear for everyone was white. This was OK because it was before Labor Day.:rolleyes:

View attachment 107912

View attachment 107913

There is something you don’t see much any longer. No, not a guy sucking in his gut until the photo shutter closes; the diving board. I was told that insurance premiums for hotels/motels with diving boards had later become cost prohibitive.

View attachment 107915

Why we had a beach towel advertising a brew I didn't drink is beyond me. It was the seventies, man!:angelic:

View attachment 107916

View attachment 107917

Last edited:

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster
After spending time as beach bums in Daytona Beach, Tuesday was our long awaited return trip to WDW. Janet didn’t want to seem excited but it was difficult for all of us to suppress our anxiety.

According to Becky’s journal notes we slept thru our wakeup call and didn’t leave for the World until 10:30 A.M. We arrived at the parking area by noon and we were on Main St. by 12:20 P.M.

The ticket books had increased in price since opening day. For $6.25 one would get park admission, transportation to the Kingdom and eight tickets. The tickets had changed to a universal ticket and not the “A” thru “E” version. All eight tickets were good for any attraction.

View attachment 107918

Some of these slides were in worse shape that the ones from 1971. I did my best to make them presentable.

View attachment 107919

View attachment 107920

View attachment 107921

View attachment 107922

View attachment 107923

View attachment 107924

View attachment 107925

View attachment 107926

Last edited:

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster
We all wandered around the Kingdom for a while. Becky and I were reliving some memories and Janet was making new ones while we enjoyed watching her as she took it all in. Experiencing WDW with someone for their first time is a most unique adventure beyond description but it is always a pleasure to take the ride along with them.

We were a little hungry and our wandering led us to Pecos Bills. We had burgers, fries and Pepsi. I also had the positively best ever apple turnover I had ever eaten. I looked for something similar when I returned home but never found anything that could match up.

While eating at Pecos Bills a parade passed us by. This was our first ever Disney parade and for certain a photo opportunity.

View attachment 107927

View attachment 107928

View attachment 107929

View attachment 107930

View attachment 107932

View attachment 107933

View attachment 107934

View attachment 107935

View attachment 107936

View attachment 107937

Last edited:

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster
Last edited:

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster
The Fla sun was getting hot as the afternoon progressed. Becky and Janet were prepared for the heat. A brief stop to get more comfy and on to 20K Leagues; some of the 20K pictures are in pretty bad shape but since it is no longer an attraction I will post the best ones.

View attachment 107948

View attachment 107949

View attachment 107950

View attachment 107951

View attachment 107952

View attachment 107953

View attachment 107954

View attachment 107955

View attachment 107956

View attachment 107957

Last edited:

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster
We went to The Mickey Mouse Review and since no flash photos I attempted a few shots that were just short of OK. Since the Review is no more I thought I would post just out of the idea of things once removed.

View attachment 107967

View attachment 107968

View attachment 107969

View attachment 107970

View attachment 107971

View attachment 107972

View attachment 107973

View attachment 107974

View attachment 107975

We headed to Tomorrow Land and hit Eastern Airlines If You Had Wings, a free exhibit, Monsanto’s Magic Carpet Around The World in 360* screen. Becky and Janet loved these and since Tomorrow Land was not open on our previous visit it seemed like a whole new Magic Kingdom to me. Space Mountain was not open yet but they had some info out front just to tell you how cool it was going to be.

View attachment 107976

Last edited:

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster
Last edited:

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster
View attachment 107988

View attachment 107990

We hung out at Daytona Beach for a few more days swimming, sunning (all of us got a big dose of too much sun and some burning was the result) and relaxing. On Thursday we checked out of our hotel and headed to the MK with no plans other than trying to get a night at a room closer to WDW. Our Triple A book had a listing for the Dutch Inn. We got a room there for the night for $80. We swam and took a nap and then headed for the park on the provided free transportation bus with plans to close the Kingdom on our last night in Florida.

The Dutch Inn:

View attachment 107991

The rest of my pics are not the greatest but it is all I got besides memories. Some of the night shots are pretty poor. We headed to Tom Sawyer Island because it closed after dark. We had a good time exploring.

View attachment 107992

View attachment 107993

View attachment 107994

View attachment 107995

View attachment 107996

View attachment 107997

Last edited:

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster
Last edited:

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster
View attachment 108006

View attachment 108007

View attachment 108008

View attachment 108009

View attachment 108010

View attachment 108011

View attachment 108012

This is pretty bad!!!
View attachment 108013

A wonderful time was had by all. We now venture home to Ohio. One of the things I have found with a vacation by auto is that one has an opportunity to reminisce about the recent events and make plans for future adventures. A plane ride home always seems to leave me with major vacation depression. I arrive home so soon after the trip that I usually feel a like something has been left undone. It is always nice to be home though.

Last edited:

FlaggNL

Wow thanks for sharing these 1974 pics :) So great to see! Love the Budweiser towel and the parade from that days! So great to relive that trip with you! Can't wait for more so off course following along!

fractal

Love it! Yes, my parents used to have a motel at the shore; diving boards, especially high dives, in hotels are extinct.

As a child in the 70's I remember my older cousins with plenty of Budweiser and other beer beach towels; very popular items on the Wildwood NJ boardwalk.

Thanks again for this TR and the restored photos!

dukeaboy

Wow!!! Really love your pictures...they capture everything disney was about in that era...great piece of history...thanks for sharing...

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Got a kick out the fact that you all bought your white, 70's styled, bathing suits! And, as you said, it was o.k. to still wear white, as it was prior to Labor Day . . . ;)

Wonderful pictures again in your newest thread here. I think I enjoyed the parade pictures the most. It was charming to see the simpler floats from 1974, versus some of the "over the top" floats in the parades at WDW nowadays. I suppose each style has its own merit; but I think that the simpler floats highlighted the characters more, because the floats, themselves, didn't serve to be so much of a distraction.

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster
Dear Valued Members of the WDWMAGIC forum,

I have decided to remove my pictures from my posts on the Forum. This is based on sound legal advice once I was informed that, what are precious memories to me, have been used by others who are misrepresenting the origin of the photographs. Once I have processed the pictures with a means of protecting my copyrights and my family’s Disney legacy, I will happily return all of them to these forums.

I am also asking for any help should you recognize any of my photos elsewhere on the internet. Please pass along that information as some of you have thankfully done already.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

George & Becky

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom