rethinking transportation from MK parking to Magic Kingdom

Goofyernmost

One thing I've thought would be nice is a sidewalk all the way around the lake. You have to pinch points:
1) The canal where the water pageant parks
2) The "water bridge" which probably isn't quite wide enough for a full sidewalk (I think there's a very minimal walkway under it)

Still, there have been times which I've thought, "Yeah, I'd just walk it if I could."

A good bit of the walkway is already there from MK to the canal and from GF all the way around to TTC.

This doesn't serve a mass of people but, in my opinion, it'd be a nice option.
I understand that many people think it would be a pleasant walk, but, think about 90 degrees with 95% humidity. Think about the fact that in a straight line it's about a mile from TTC to MK. Think about how you would feel after being on your feet at the end of the day. Think about the critters at night. If none of that bothers you then also think about the fact that TTC is not a huge problem on the way in, because not everyone is heading there at the same time, unlike at closing when everyone is leaving at once. That is when walking might be useful, but, not the ideal time to do it. It is a fallacy that there is a long wait for the ferrys anyway. They are running three at night and they hold huge amounts of people. It is so much faster then the limited numbers allowed on the Monorail and especially the buses. There is no more then 7 minutes between ferrys. And you aren't stuck with someones armpit in your face.

Take it from a veteran Disney visitor that has tried every option, it is a good system, has a reason for existing and isn't near as bad as people love to whine about. It is one of the things that made WDW a place were everyone wanted to go too. Take the ferry back at night and just look around at the reflection of the lights off the lagoon and on a clear night, the stars and the moon. Slow down and enjoy life don't just speed through it. You will be amazed at what you have missed. (P.S. The "you" is generic, not necessarily you personally.)

Last edited:

Brad Bishop

Would love a walk way, I keep hearing it is 1/2built. Would the the most low cost option to help the exit of MK.

It seems like walkway bridge over both pinch points would be easy enough.

I know if I were leaving and I saw the Monorail backed up and the Ferry backed up that I'd think, "You know... It's a nice night - I've been around people all day.. I'll just walk it.."

Using Google Earth to measure:
East walk to TTC: 1mi (~20min)
West walk to GF: .7mi (~15min)
West walk to Poly: 1.2mi (~25min)
West walk to TTC: 1.5mi (~30min)

So, all very doable by walking. It's shorter than the International exit at EP to DHS which is 2mi (~40min) and pretty easy.

Brad Bishop

I understand that many people think it would be a pleasant walk, but, think about 90 degrees with 95% humidity. Think about the fact that in a straight line it's about a mile from TTC to MK. Think about how you would feel after being on your feet at the end of the day. Think about the critters at night. If none of that bothers you then also think about the fact that TTC is not a huge problem on the way in, because not everyone is heading there at the same time, unlike at closing when everyone is leaving at once. That is when walking might be useful, but, not the ideal time to do it. It is a fallacy that there is a long wait for the ferrys anyway. They are running three at night and they hold huge amounts of people. It is so much faster then the limited numbers allowed on the Monorail and especially the buses. There is no more then 7 minutes between ferrys. And you aren't stuck with someones armpit in your face.

Yeah, middle of Summer at noon I wouldn't use it nor during a downpour. In the evening it may be quite nice. It would need to be lit.

I could see the argument for "long day / tired of walking" and I may fall into that from time to time but most of the time when I get to the TTC I just hike it back out to the car (again, unless my feet are really sore).

You're right: The ferries are quite efficient at moving folks and even if it looks like an incredibly huge crowd, the second ferry sitting out there in the water (at the end of the night) is likely the one you'll get on and it's not much of a wait.

Regarding critters: Yeah, you could come across and alligator or snake.. Just give them plenty of room. I know there's the whole, "..but what if???" You can "what if" yourself into never leaving your home, though. I often walk through the woods and come across critters. I leave them alone and give them plenty of space.

Goofyernmost

Yeah, middle of Summer at noon I wouldn't use it nor during a downpour. In the evening it may be quite nice. It would need to be lit.

I could see the argument for "long day / tired of walking" and I may fall into that from time to time but most of the time when I get to the TTC I just hike it back out to the car (again, unless my feet are really sore).

You're right: The ferries are quite efficient at moving folks and even if it looks like an incredibly huge crowd, the second ferry sitting out there in the water (at the end of the night) is likely the one you'll get on and it's not much of a wait.

Regarding critters: Yeah, you could come across and alligator or snake.. Just give them plenty of room. I know there's the whole, "..but what if???" You can "what if" yourself into never leaving your home, though. I often walk through the woods and come across critters. I leave them alone and give them plenty of space.
I'm not talking about isolation, I'm talking about reality. At the end of the day there is an element of fatigue no matter who you are. Your sense of observation is less and your reaction time is probably slower as well. I would never not do something because of the single thought that the critters might be there, I also take into account that there are other considerations when dealing with stuff like that. We aren't all Rambo who survives for months without sleep or as far as we know food and potty breaks and reacts like he was fresh as a daisy. Asking for a reason for a confrontation is no better then locking oneself away to avoid any and all dangers. To me that's just the opposite ends of the same insanity.

World_Showcase_Lover007

I'm totally for a new system. We drove to and parked at MK for the first time on our most recent trip, and I have to say that it was a bit much having to get on the tram and having to transfer to monorail. Nothing that ruins your day or keeps you from going to the park, but just an extra level of frustration from people that try to get on the tram after the CM announces no more guests aboard. Then you have to wait for them to go over the safety rules all over again.

I would hate to see the TTC go by the wayside, but there are definitely more efficient ways.

Brad Bishop

Fill the lake in. Make it a parking lot for the MK and resorts. Take the existing parking lot and make it a 5th gate! Everybody wins.

You'd even get a number of years of the Monorail circling the magnificent parking lot.

:)

Brad Bishop

That's the thing I don't get. It's like, especially because of recent events, people aren't going to get, "Don't try to hug the gator no matter how tired you are." How do you get through life not being able to figure that out?

It's like someone would be leaving the MK, think, and then do, "I'm so tired I could spoon a gator!"

I could understand if WDW were in the middle of Africa and there were Jaguars outside the walls of the camp (I mean theme parks) and if you were to go out after sundown then you'd likely not come back because you would be hunted. That's not what this is. It's exceptionally easy to "not die" at WDW and just outdoors in general. It's certainly not guaranteed but overall the stats are WAY in your favor.

Sure, people die in car wrecks everyday. You're most likely going to make it home tonight, though.

thomas998

I'm totally for a new system. We drove to and parked at MK for the first time on our most recent trip, and I have to say that it was a bit much having to get on the tram and having to transfer to monorail. Nothing that ruins your day or keeps you from going to the park, but just an extra level of frustration from people that try to get on the tram after the CM announces no more guests aboard. Then you have to wait for them to go over the safety rules all over again.

I would hate to see the TTC go by the wayside, but there are definitely more efficient ways.
The solution to the problem of people trying to get on the tram late is pretty simple... The CM's need to just say no.

We've experienced what you described though most often it seems to happen to us when we are trying to leave the park, someone idiot is too impatient to wait for the next tram and jumps on after everyone has boarded and already heard the recorded safety message.... In fact the last trip on one attempt to leave we listened to it 4 full times before we left because idiots kept running up and jumping on board. In not a single instance did the CM say sorry we are full you need to get off the tram. If they would do that once in a while the message would be clear to people and they would stop doing it.

DisneyFans4Life

Maybe there could be gates at the tram load points, sorta like they have on IASW, POTC, etc. Once the gates close...no further boarding can be allowed.

Or take a few CMs from parking duty and have them on tram loading duty...

ScottKC

It's not supposed to be about efficiency...it's about leaving your car(and the real world) behind and taking a boat or a monorail across the sea to a Magic Kingdom!

PhotoDave219

Wondering. . .

1) . . . about how long it takes to get from the Magic Kingdom parking lot to the Magic Kingdom. I know it must vary greatly depending on crowds and times, but can anybody give a best case/worse case answer? (Apologies if this has already been discussed.)

2) . . . if any thought been given to replacing MK parking trams with non-stop busses that go from stops located throughout MK parking directly to the Magic Kingdom. This would be simpler and more efficient than making guests wait for a tram, ride a tram to the TTC, wait for a monorail or ferry, and ride a monorail or ferry before finally arriving at the Magic Kingdom. Tickets could purchased at the Magic Kingdom gate.

The TTC would become obsolete. It could be redeveloped into a resort with a prime location on the monorail line and waterfront.

This is why I would park at the Contemporary as much as possible from 2004-2007.

PhotoDave219

It's not supposed to be about efficiency...it's about leaving your car(and the real world) behind and taking a boat or a monorail across the sea to a Magic Kingdom!

I get that. Alas my touring plan is vastly different than the typical guest. I would be "outlying data" ..... that showed up once a week or more.

Goofyernmost

To me it's like saying... Hey, why don't we cut out the childhood part of life and get right to the heart of it all. Being a kid is such a waste of time! I will never understand that. I'm on vacation, I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere. I spent my entire career running around trying to catch up, I don't want to do that on a vacation and don't do it during my retirement. The thing is that when I first went to WDW all that existed was MK. The only way to get there was through TTC. The parking method totally floored me at how organized it was. The system that let them know that the tram was for a specific row or rows. That you would get on them and in minutes be at the TTC, no walking, just ride and get on the Monorail or Ferry. I can't think of an easier system. I got to sit and watch MK getting closer and closer, would get off the Train or Ferry and there I was at the front door of the MK. There was a preshow (the trip from the lot to the entrance of MK) and then the curtain (MK Railroad) pass through the curtains and onto the stage that started with Main Street USA. I know that no one cares, but, I really do feel sorry for those people that cannot see the value of the elongated entrance. Cannot see that the Monorail and/or the ferry is an attraction in and of themselves. Like I said earlier, the time that I took the bus directly to MK, I spent the whole day feeling like I missed something important. Difference in generations probably.
That's the thing I don't get. It's like, especially because of recent events, people aren't going to get, "Don't try to hug the gator no matter how tired you are." How do you get through life not being able to figure that out?

It's like someone would be leaving the MK, think, and then do, "I'm so tired I could spoon a gator!"

I could understand if WDW were in the middle of Africa and there were Jaguars outside the walls of the camp (I mean theme parks) and if you were to go out after sundown then you'd likely not come back because you would be hunted. That's not what this is. It's exceptionally easy to "not die" at WDW and just outdoors in general. It's certainly not guaranteed but overall the stats are WAY in your favor.

Sure, people die in car wrecks everyday. You're most likely going to make it home tonight, though.
It isn't the gator that you see that will prevent you from getting home, it is the one you don't see that will ruin your weekend. It isn't the snake you see that will leave you punctured and in pain, it is the one you don't see that will make you sob. No one is suggesting that just because you are tired you will all of a sudden decide that hugging a gator would be the thing to do. It's just that nature has a way of sustaining itself and we humans are in their environment so no matter how much smarter we think we are then those base animals, they have experience on their side and they know how to survive. Especially gators whose existence can be traced all the way back to the dinosaur age. They have done some real extended survival.

danyoung56

The one time that I took a bus from a resort to MK, I spent the rest of the day feeling like I forgot something.

Exactly! Without the trip across the Seven Seas Lagoon, it just ain't natural!

You can thank stupid guests and over protective lawyers for the length of time that it takes for the trams to leave. They now have to basically recite the U.S. Constitution of safety instructions in 57 languages to be sure that today's absolutely brilliant guest keeps their hands and arms inside the tram at all times and that they don't find it OK to just step off a moving tram.

And once they start the spiel running, if someone then jumps onto the tram they have to start it again from the beginning, to make sure all the silly people hear all of the silly message. Dumb!

Goofyernmost

Exactly! Without the trip across the Seven Seas Lagoon, it just ain't natural!

And once they start the spiel running, if someone then jumps onto the tram they have to start it again from the beginning, to make sure all the silly people hear all of the silly message. Dumb!
Well, I will agree that they could stop people from jumping on the tram after the spiel because they can start moving slowly and get the whole thing in away from the loading area or grow a couple and just say no to the people that try and get on after they have announced that no more were to load. It will always be a problem unless they move the tram away from their though.

danyoung56

It is a fallacy that there is a long wait for the ferrys anyway. They are running three at night and they hold huge amounts of people.

I have to agree with this. Usually when I leave the MK at closing I walk to the Contemporary and jump on a monorail from there. Much less waiting in line. But one time a couple years ago I was just too tired for the walk, so I climbed into the ferry line. As long as the line was, I really thought it was gonna take 30 minutes or more to get on. But they kept on loading and loading, and the line kept moving, and I was on board in just a few minutes. Very cool for a tired Dan!

Goofyernmost

I have to agree with this. Usually when I leave the MK at closing I walk to the Contemporary and jump on a monorail from there. Much less waiting in line. But one time a couple years ago I was just too tired for the walk, so I climbed into the ferry line. As long as the line was, I really thought it was gonna take 30 minutes or more to get on. But they kept on loading and loading, and the line kept moving, and I was on board in just a few minutes. Very cool for a tired Dan!
Absolutely, but lets not say it too loud or we will have to share that with hordes of others. :jawdrop::joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom