rethinking transportation from MK parking to Magic Kingdom

rkleinlein

Original Poster
Wondering. . .

1) . . . about how long it takes to get from the Magic Kingdom parking lot to the Magic Kingdom. I know it must vary greatly depending on crowds and times, but can anybody give a best case/worse case answer? (Apologies if this has already been discussed.)

2) . . . if any thought been given to replacing MK parking trams with non-stop busses that go from stops located throughout MK parking directly to the Magic Kingdom. This would be simpler and more efficient than making guests wait for a tram, ride a tram to the TTC, wait for a monorail or ferry, and ride a monorail or ferry before finally arriving at the Magic Kingdom. Tickets could purchased at the Magic Kingdom gate.

The TTC would become obsolete. It could be redeveloped into a resort with a prime location on the monorail line and waterfront.

rob0519

With all the buses arriving from and going back to the resorts adding more buses to the mix from the parking lot may jam up the roads a bit too much. Crowd control is used to keep things moving efficiently for an overall result, not just to get people to a destination in the quickest manner possible.

DisneyOutsider

Wondering. . .

2) . . . if any thought been given to replacing MK parking trams with non-stop busses that go from stops located throughout MK parking directly to the Magic Kingdom. This would be simpler and more efficient than making guests wait for a tram, ride a tram to the TTC, wait for a monorail or ferry, and ride a monorail or ferry before finally arriving at the Magic Kingdom. Tickets could purchased at the Magic Kingdom gate.

Simpler and more efficient for who?

Sounds like a poor use of resources from Disney's perspective.

Variable

The TTC is more than just a place to get off the tram and onto the monorail. There are ticket booths there as well.
The whole place is sort of a marshaling yard for groups as well.

There was I thought, some mention a month or so ago of a TTC future reorg.

Big buses and pedestrians don't mix too well. The trams are lower speed, people can get out of the way. Lots of people walk from parking to the TTC - start putting full size buses through all of those lots and you've created a nightmare. (without additional crowd control/barriers/fence whatever to provide for separation)

A half hour, yes, that's about right if you aren't an early riser. Until the preferred parking we often were in the first row right by the tunnel over to TTC. Still not too far away. But some days, I swear, we could park out in the back 40 and by the time the CMs have to go through their spell, in two languages, and we wait for people to sit down, get all their stuff onboard etc, we could have beaten the tram if we'd have walked.

rkleinlein

Original Poster
Big buses and pedestrians don't mix too well. The trams are lower speed, people can get out of the way. Lots of people walk from parking to the TTC - start putting full size buses through all of those lots and you've created a nightmare. (without additional crowd control/barriers/fence whatever to provide for separation)

Agree completely.

Brad Bishop

I think that they'll eventually run into the problem of, "We no longer want to keep up with the Monorail.." Because of the way it's all built they'll have to come up with something else as I don't think that the ferries will be enough.

They're investing in the safety / autopilot system of the Monorail right now so it's still a ways into the future but, eventually, it'll be a problem, I think.

Variable

I really enjoy the approach to the MK just the way it is. I like getting out of my car and either walking or tramming into the TTC, and then taking a ferry across the water. It builds the anticipation, with the park getting slowly closer. Course, at the end of the day it's a big pain . . . . .

We find we use the ferry far more often because we like the breeze and especially the view on the way across.

Goofyernmost

I really enjoy the approach to the MK just the way it is. I like getting out of my car and either walking or tramming into the TTC, and then taking a ferry across the water. It builds the anticipation, with the park getting slowly closer. Course, at the end of the day it's a big pain . . . . .
It does make a difference at the end of the day doesn't it. However, a visit to MK has a huge part of it missing without the parking lot, trams, Monorail or Ferry's. The one time that I took a bus from a resort to MK, I spent the rest of the day feeling like I forgot something. I guess I have outgrown the anticipation part, I did have it at one time, but I just enjoy the relaxing boat ride across the lagoon especially on a clear, sunny day. Even when I leave which is during Wishes, I love taking the ferry and watching the fireworks from a distance with the reflections on the water. (I don't stay for Wishes anymore simply because the show isn't worth the hassle of getting out after them, especially after I have seen it a bazillion times.)

Kristamouse

The approach/entrance is fine, keep the build up to the show.
But exiting, please give us more options! The Monorail is always down and then the ferry line is insane (although you do usually get on the ferry). I would be happy with a hover board, buss, limo, golf cart or my own two feet!
There are times when the security area is mayhem and I truly feel like it is a public safety issue.

disney4life2008

As others, I actually do not mind the process of getting to MK from TTC. It usually takes about 30 minutes from toll plaza to MK gate. The true pain is leaving when it seems the TRAM takes forever to come and takes forever to leave. And if you are at closing, that line is the worse. With that said, I would rather have the anticipation of getting back to my air conditioned car vs taking the MK bus back to a resort. Standing in that line is the absolute worse and do not let a wheelchair be there, it will be another 20 minutes.

Variable

The approach/entrance is fine, keep the build up to the show.
But exiting, please give us more options! The Monorail is always down and then the ferry line is insane (although you do usually get on the ferry). I would be happy with a hover board, buss, limo, golf cart or my own two feet!
There are times when the security area is mayhem and I truly feel like it is a public safety issue.

Definitely agree on closing exit madness. If they had 2 ferries loading simul, would help some. A rack of "no strollers, Ecv, wheelchair " (to speed leading unloading ) buses going straight to the TTC could help, but the parking trams have finite capacity as well - but at least we'd be across the pond.

Goofyernmost

As others, I actually do not mind the process of getting to MK from TTC. It usually takes about 30 minutes from toll plaza to MK gate. The true pain is leaving when it seems the TRAM takes forever to come and takes forever to leave. And if you are at closing, that line is the worse. With that said, I would rather have the anticipation of getting back to my air conditioned car vs taking the MK bus back to a resort. Standing in that line is the absolute worse and do not let a wheelchair be there, it will be another 20 minutes.
You can thank stupid guests and over protective lawyers for the length of time that it takes for the trams to leave. They now have to basically recite the U.S. Constitution of safety instructions in 57 languages to be sure that today's absolutely brilliant guest keeps their hands and arms inside the tram at all times and that they don't find it OK to just step off a moving tram. It never used to take that long to get moving. So "Thanks Idiots".

I only once tried taking the bus at closing, the trip to the parking lot via ferry and tram is sooooo much faster. I get to sit in my own car with the AC or heater on (depending on the need) and am back to the hotel before many are even on the bus yet. But, gee it is so much easier to not have to drive, they say. OK, whatever floats ones boat.

copcarguyp71

Why can't the improvement be both an attraction and transportation? I figure why not... although they would have to get the firing rate up substantially.:cautious:
human-cannonball.jpg

thomas998

Wondering. . .

1) . . . about how long it takes to get from the Magic Kingdom parking lot to the Magic Kingdom. I know it must vary greatly depending on crowds and times, but can anybody give a best case/worse case answer? (Apologies if this has already been discussed.)

The TTC would become obsolete. It could be redeveloped into a resort with a prime location on the monorail line and waterfront.
Your plan would only be efficient in getting people into the park it would be much less efficient when taking people back to their car. Yes you could put out 10 or 20 points in the parking lot that a bus would stop at to pick up people and take them to the front gate.... But now when you are leaving Disney you would need 10 or 20 different bus stops for those people wanting to go back to their cars which is going to take a hug amount of space at MK so your plan saves some space outside MK near a parking lot by getting rid of the TTC center and then turns around and wastes space at MK where space is at a premium... Not good use of resources... Now then you also will have to have multiple buses going continually on each of those 10 or 20 bus stops because you already said you would have continual service and given the distance from the parking lot to the MK you will need 3 or 4 buses on each of those routes to avoid having people waiting too long.

Now think about the number of ticket counters... During peak times those are all being used so you need to find a place at MK to put them... Have you noticed the lack of space prior to the bag check area? No good space currently exists for them.... I suppose you could start filling in the seven seas lagoon (you don't need the ferries anymore with your plan... but you will need to reclaim that space to put some ticket booths for the huge lines you've created.

And when you think about it from a logistics point, the TTC and the way it operates also serves another purpose you might not notice. It spreads out the huge crowd of people you get when the park opens. Instead of having everyone and his dog pop up at the front gate where you would have an uncontrollable mass of people you have spread them out and created a more controlled stream of people at the front gate. A monorail only drops off a certain number of people at a time, the ferry only drops off a set number each time it arrives... The truth is the long lines people complain about at the gate are probably not so much a result of greater attendance at the parks as it is the additional entry points to the MK that have come about over the years with more boats from other resort dropping off visitor at the front gate and more buses dropping off people from other resorts at the front gate... If all these newer entry points to the Magic Kingdom were eliminated the gate crowds would be much lower.

DisneyFans4Life

You can thank stupid guests and over protective lawyers for the length of time that it takes for the trams to leave. They now have to basically recite the U.S. Constitution of safety instructions in 57 languages to be sure that today's absolutely brilliant guest keeps their hands and arms inside the tram at all times and that they don't find it OK to just step off a moving tram. It never used to take that long to get moving. So "Thanks Idiots".

I only once tried taking the bus at closing, the trip to the parking lot via ferry and tram is sooooo much faster. I get to sit in my own car with the AC or heater on (depending on the need) and am back to the hotel before many are even on the bus yet. But, gee it is so much easier to not have to drive, they say. OK, whatever floats ones boat.
This is exactly the reason we walk. Well...that and the fact we have a stroller, 2 year old and diaper bag, which is far too much to pack up to fit on the tram. Even before we had our daughter we would always walk. It's frustrating to get on a tram, wait for everyone to squeeze in, have the CM go through their message and then have to start all over because someone decided to jump on at the last minute.

Brad Bishop

One thing I've thought would be nice is a sidewalk all the way around the lake. You have to pinch points:
1) The canal where the water pageant parks
2) The "water bridge" which probably isn't quite wide enough for a full sidewalk (I think there's a very minimal walkway under it)

Still, there have been times which I've thought, "Yeah, I'd just walk it if I could."

A good bit of the walkway is already there from MK to the canal and from GF all the way around to TTC.

This doesn't serve a mass of people but, in my opinion, it'd be a nice option.

DisneyFans4Life

One thing I've thought would be nice is a sidewalk all the way around the lake. You have to pinch points:
1) The canal where the water pageant parks
2) The "water bridge" which probably isn't quite wide enough for a full sidewalk (I think there's a very minimal walkway under it)

Still, there have been times which I've thought, "Yeah, I'd just walk it if I could."

A good bit of the walkway is already there from MK to the canal and from GF all the way around to TTC.

This doesn't serve a mass of people but, in my opinion, it'd be a nice option.
This would be nice for joggers as well!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom