Restrictions on DVC Resale?

Diva120

Original Poster
So, I'm chatting on some forums, and I don't want to be completely off base, but are there still restrictions on the points one purchases as a resale? If I remember correctly, resale contracts are restricted to WDW only.

Sincerest apologies if I was wrong! (eeps!)

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Awesome - thanks! So yes, I was correct, but there is a work-around by renting the points etc etc. I have not been ballsy enough to rent my points. Seems like too much drama for me.
As long as you understand that the same restrictions apply to the rental points. They can only be used at DVC Resorts. So it's not really a work-around per se.

Diva120

Original Poster
As long as you understand that the same restrictions apply to the rental points. They can only be used at DVC Resorts. So it's not really a work-around per se.

Sorry, meant to say that the workaround is to rent the restricted points to WDW, in turn then use the cash for something outside WDW proper. Again, I have not graduated to that level yet ;)

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Sorry, meant to say that the workaround is to rent the restricted points to WDW, in turn then use the cash for something outside WDW proper. Again, I have not graduated to that level yet ;)
Ahh, OK. We love using our points too much to ever rent them out. Even though all of ours were purchased direct, we would still probably only use them for DVC resorts.

ParentsOf4

So, I'm chatting on some forums, and I don't want to be completely off base, but are there still restrictions on the points one purchases as a resale? If I remember correctly, resale contracts are restricted to WDW only.
You're right, DVC can be confusing! You're asking the same questions all of us asked at one point or another when we made our DVC resale purchases. :)

Just to clarify, DVC points purchased through resale are not "restricted to WDW only". They are restricted to DVC Resorts. In addition to the DVC Resorts at WDW, this includes the DVC Resorts at Hilton Head, Disneyland (Grand Californian), Vero Beach, and Hawaii (Aulani).

Generally, the restrictions are meaningless since Disney does not offer a particularly good exchange rate. As you might already have surmised by now, if you don't intend to use your DVC points for a DVC Resort stay, then the best financial use of points is to rent them to someone else and then use the cash proceeds to purchase the vacation you want.

DVC point rentals continue to be very popular and it's pretty use to rent points for significantly more than what Disney offers in exchange for (for example) Disney Cruise Line.

Hope this helps! :)

Tom

Beta Return
Awesome - thanks! So yes, I was correct, but there is a work-around by renting the points etc etc. I have not been ballsy enough to rent my points. Seems like too much drama for me.

Renting points out is pretty easy. We've rented them directly to family, and this year we had 21 points leftover and rented them through a DVC broker site to someone who needed a studio for a night.

Diva120

Original Poster
You're right, DVC can be confusing! You're asking the same questions all of us asked at one point or another when we made our DVC resale purchases. :)

Just to clarify, DVC points purchased through resale are not "restricted to WDW only". They are restricted to DVC Resorts. In addition to the DVC Resorts at WDW, this includes the DVC Resorts at Hilton Head, Disneyland (Grand Californian), Vero Beach, and Hawaii (Aulani).

Generally, the restrictions are meaningless since Disney does not offer a particularly good exchange rate. As you might already have surmised by now, if you don't intend to use your DVC points for a DVC Resort stay, then the best financial use of points is to rent them to someone else and then use the cash proceeds to purchase the vacation you want.

DVC point rentals continue to be very popular and it's pretty use to rent points for significantly more than what Disney offers in exchange for (for example) Disney Cruise Line.

Hope this helps! :)

Thank you, this deffo eases my angst of looking at additional resale contracts. Funnily, I haven't ventured off of DVC resorts yet except for the Cruises. Have you tried RCI exchanges? That has a high level of anxiety for me.

We have tried to rent points to friends or family and it was a miserable experience. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot faith that strangers would be any less dramatic.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Thank you, this deffo eases my angst of looking at additional resale contracts. Funnily, I haven't ventured off of DVC resorts yet except for the Cruises. Have you tried RCI exchanges? That has a high level of anxiety for me.

We have tried to rent points to friends or family and it was a miserable experience. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot faith that strangers would be any less dramatic.
While we have never done it, I have heard nothing but good things about Davids DVC Rentals. He acts as the middleman, and I believe, has both parties sign a contract, so would be much better than trying to do it yourself. Of course, he takes a cut, so you get a bit less, but avoiding a hassle would be worth it to us.

Diva120

Original Poster
While we have never done it, I have heard nothing but good things about Davids DVC Rentals. He acts as the middleman, and I believe, has both parties sign a contract, so would be much better than trying to do it yourself. Of course, he takes a cut, so you get a bit less, but avoiding a hassle would be worth it to us.

Awesome to know!!! Thanks for sharing that info - I was looking around at other forums on this board and saw a David's DVC Rental post. I'm maxing out my points right now but I am reading a lot of good /positive things about renting.

DVC Mike

The restrictions on purchasing via the resale market are described:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/3430899#post-54076788

Awesome to know!!! Thanks for sharing that info - I was looking around at other forums on this board and saw a David's DVC Rental post. I'm maxing out my points right now but I am reading a lot of good /positive things about renting.

The process of renting points, including why you'd want to use David's, is described:

http://www.disboards.com/threads/3435083#post-54162793

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

EOD K9

I've rented to two people directly on here and have had 0 issues. It is because of the money I made from the rental that I was able to finance my cruises. The people were well known posters and have been here a while. I wouldn't have rented to people who have few if any posts and were here for only a few months.

Diva120

Original Poster
I've rented to two people directly on here and have had 0 issues. It is because of the money I made from the rental that I was able to finance my cruises. The people were well known posters and have been here a while. I wouldn't have rented to people who have few if any posts and were here for only a few months.
Good to know! thanks!

michael.fumc

When we bought resale the only hangup I had was not being able to stay at the Disney Collection, My family had stay at Art of Animation which is awesome, (no where near as amazing as any DVC resort in my wife and my opinion, but the kids loved it), I hated to think we weren't going to be able to stay there again. However as mentioned the the cost of points don't add up to the value of those resorts, especially if you have AP, the room deals Disney offers are cheaper and really so are non-discounted rack price with AP discount are a much better deal, and if I could use my points on them I wouldn't because it really wouldn't be a good use of my points, in my opinion.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
When we bought resale the only hangup I had was not being able to stay at the Disney Collection, My family had stay at Art of Animation which is awesome, (no where near as amazing as any DVC resort in my wife and my opinion, but the kids loved it), I hated to think we weren't going to be able to stay there again. However as mentioned the the cost of points don't add up to the value of those resorts, especially if you have AP, the room deals Disney offers are cheaper and really so are non-discounted rack price with AP discount are a much better deal, and if I could use my points on them I wouldn't because it really wouldn't be a good use of my points, in my opinion.
The only time we have used the Disney Collection was when we had to cancel a trip, and we were within 30 days of arrival, so our points when into the holding account. That means you can only book something 60 days out, and by the time we were good to go, no DVC resort was available. We ended up at POFQ for that trip - which was awesome - and allowed us to use our points that year, instead of losing them. Oh, and we were already past the banking window, so it was use or lose at that point. Well, we actually did lose 1 point, since the POFQ stay used all but 1 point of the original stay. If we had bought resale, we would probably have lost the points.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom