Resort To Park Gates: Bus vs Car

Raineman

Original Poster
I was just on the MK parking thread, and I got to wondering: if you compared the time from WDW resort hotel to park gates on a WDW bus vs in your own vehicle, would there be much difference? I have been to WDW on three different occasions, and I have never driven to the parks, parked in the lot, and made my way to the front gates-I've always taken a bus (first time was a tour bus from an offsite hotel). Would the wait for the bus on both ends be roughly equal to the time spent parking & walking/taking a tram? My DW and I have always thought that taking the bus from the on-property resort hotel would be less of a hassle, but if the time is about the same, having to deal with long bus lines and overcrowded buses may make driving a better option.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I timed my door to gate travels over a few trips several years ago and for the most part bus vs car was a wash at Epcot, DHS and AK. The bus tended to be faster getting to MK for obvious reasons.

SAV

we always rent a car and drive ourselves. In my experience the only park it takes longer to get to via car than bus is MK.

Raineman

Original Poster
I timed my door to gate travels over a few trips several years ago and for the most part bus vs car was a wash at Epcot, DHS and AK. The bus tended to be faster getting to MK for obvious reasons.
If you are leaving at park close, especially at MK after Wishes, I would imagine that there might be a difference there, although my last night at MK in March, the bus line for Pop stretched across 2 stations, and went through at least 4 switchbacks, and I couldn't imagine the journey from monorail/boat to TTC to car would be much longer than that bus wait.

JIMINYCR

Sometimes the car would be faster if the bus makes multiple pick ups or arrivals at the resort pick up happens to be overdue. And huge closing evening crowds.... waiting in line really can get frustrating. But we are willing to put up with the bus because of the convenience. Dropping off closer to the park, no worries about parking and remembering where you parked, having to trudge back out to the car after a looong day. After a long day at the parks I dont want to drive back. The bus allows me to have a brief rest and no worries about the drive. I'm on vacation and dont care to touch my car keys until I have to leave for home. And some of the bus drivers are very entertaining.

Raineman

Original Poster
The car is so much more of a hassle to me. Why not take advantage of the bus that drops you closer and picks you up? Sure, it's crowded at times and you might have to stand, but they are always cool and you've been standing all day anyway.
Even though it's only a short drive from the parks to the resort, I really don't think myself or my wife would feel much like driving after a full day at the parks, especially MK, and I think that's the main reason why we take the bus. Plus, if I have a parking spot at the resort close to our room, I don't want to give that up either lol.

Piney

I would believe that bus would be faster during busy leaving times and think during not busy times you may have a chance of having a the same exact time for transportation out of magic kingdom. It always comes down to do you want to be on a packed full bus or have space in a car without being put on top of each other like sardines. scoters take up space on buses leaving longer waits

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If you are leaving at park close, especially at MK after Wishes, I would imagine that there might be a difference there, although my last night at MK in March, the bus line for Pop stretched across 2 stations, and went through at least 4 switchbacks, and I couldn't imagine the journey from monorail/boat to TTC to car would be much longer than that bus wait.
The bus was still often better even after the fireworks dump.

It was not uncommon for us to have to wait for multiple boats, monorails and trams before you even saw your car and that just eats up time. Two or three buses seemed to be about the max for buses unless there was a problem and then you were off to your resort.

About the only time the car would win over bus was if you were parked close enough to avoid having to take the tram and still had the energy to power walk back to the car.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
My experience has been that bus is always faster for MK. For the other parks, the time all depends on how lucky you are related to waiting for the bus. If you time it right, bus wins. If you time it poorly, car wins. And if you are leaving after a parade or fireworks, car is much more likely to win, as you're likely, in that case, to need to wait through a couple of buses.

I usually drive, as I like the flexibility. We might decide to head to Disney Springs or off-site after the park -- can't do that as easily if you took the bus. We might decide to eat dinner at another on-site hotel. While getting to that hotel via bus wouldn't be difficult, we'd then be at another hotel without a car. And travelling resort to resort by bus is a long proposition in most cases, due to the need to transfer.

Piney

My experience has been that bus is always faster for MK. For the other parks, the time all depends on how lucky you are related to waiting for the bus. If you time it right, bus wins. If you time it poorly, car wins. And if you are leaving after a parade or fireworks, car is much more likely to win, as you're likely, in that case, to need to wait through a couple of buses.

I usually drive, as I like the flexibility. We might decide to head to Disney Springs or off-site after the park -- can't do that as easily if you took the bus. We might decide to eat dinner at another on-site hotel. While getting to that hotel via bus wouldn't be difficult, we'd then be at another hotel without a car. And travelling resort to resort by bus is a long proposition in most cases, due to the need to transfer.
That is better then I could ever say it myself.

World_Showcase_Lover007

It's a bit of a hassle (like others are saying) to drive to MK because of the parking lot tram, then the TTC/monorail/ferry. But I would agree that its probably a wash with the other parks, but it just depends on my mood whether I take my car vs the buses. Although taking the car is more of a hassle, I can't help but think while waiting in the long bus lines that I could be halfway there by now!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's a bit of a hassle (like others are saying) to drive to MK because of the parking lot tram, then the TTC/monorail/ferry. But I would agree that its probably a wash with the other parks, but it just depends on my mood whether I take my car vs the buses. Although taking the car is more of a hassle, I can't help but think while waiting in the long bus lines that I could be halfway there by now!
That is a big part of the psychology of waiting. Sitting there doing nothing gives the illusion of things taking much longer then they actually do.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I was just on the MK parking thread, and I got to wondering: if you compared the time from WDW resort hotel to park gates on a WDW bus vs in your own vehicle, would there be much difference? I have been to WDW on three different occasions, and I have never driven to the parks, parked in the lot, and made my way to the front gates-I've always taken a bus (first time was a tour bus from an offsite hotel). Would the wait for the bus on both ends be roughly equal to the time spent parking & walking/taking a tram? My DW and I have always thought that taking the bus from the on-property resort hotel would be less of a hassle, but if the time is about the same, having to deal with long bus lines and overcrowded buses may make driving a better option.
I don't think that there is a way to absolutely determine that since so many variables enter into it. Time of day, traffic conditions and number of stops that the bus has to make. But, I have always felt that it was faster to drive no matter what park it is.
we always rent a car and drive ourselves. In my experience the only park it takes longer to get to via car than bus is MK.
Even if it does, you still get to be on at least two additional attractions before you even get to the parks and all are longer then just about every attraction that you paid big bucks to get into see. That would be the trams and Monorail or the Trams and the Ferry. If anyone thinks that the gentle ride across the lagoon isn't worth a couple of minutes will be dead of a heart attack by the time they are 40 due self induced stress.
I would believe that bus would be faster during busy leaving times and think during not busy times you may have a chance of having a the same exact time for transportation out of magic kingdom. It always comes down to do you want to be on a packed full bus or have space in a car without being put on top of each other like sardines. scoters take up space on buses leaving longer waits

It was not uncommon for us to have to wait for multiple boats, monorails and trams before you even saw your car and that just eats up time. Two or three buses seemed to be about the max for buses unless there was a problem and then you were off to your resort.

About the only time the car would win over bus was if you were parked close enough to avoid having to take the tram and still had the energy to power walk back to the car.
Nope, I have done that scenario over and over again. I only tested it twice over two different visits, but, having friends staying a PoP and myself staying in an offsite hotel on 192 we by challenge tested it. We all left MK, for example, at the same time, together after the fireworks. When we got outside of MK they headed over to the buses and I headed for the ferry dock. I got over the boat ride, tram ride, found my car, not close to the park, and got to my hotel room on 192 and they had just gotten on the bus headed toward PoP. It seems like it is not possible, but, it most certainly is. I have never had a hold up getting out of the parking lot, it was always smooth rolling. The idea that it takes longer is strictly an old wives tale.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Nope, I have done that scenario over and over again. I only tested it twice over two different visits, but, having friends staying a PoP and myself staying in an offsite hotel on 192 we by challenge tested it. We all left MK, for example, at the same time, together after the fireworks. When we got outside of MK they headed over to the buses and I headed for the ferry dock. I got over the boat ride, tram ride, found my car, not close to the park, and got to my hotel room on 192 and they had just gotten on the bus headed toward PoP. It seems like it is not possible, but, it most certainly is. I have never had a hold up getting out of the parking lot, it was always smooth rolling. The idea that it takes longer is strictly an old wives tale.
I have tested it several times as well...6 times if memory serves me. The wife takes the car, I take the bus. She has yet to beat me to the room. The only time she got close was when we were on the back side of building 4 at ASM and scored a great parking spot right next to our building while I had to walk all the way from the front to the back of the resort.

I also suspect she drove like she was in a Rally race that night as she really hates it when I am right.;)

Goofyernmost

I have tested it several times as well...6 times if memory serves me. The wife takes the car, I take the bus. She has yet to beat me to the room. The only time she got close was when we were on the back side of building 4 at ASM and scored a great parking spot right next to our building while I had to walk all the way from the front to the back of the resort.

I also suspect she drove like she was in a Rally race that night as she really hates it when I am right.;)
Goodness you are a competitive couple aren't you? ;)

Chef Mickey

Right. The Tram and traffic kill driving.

Plus, I can't think of many good reasons to not take advantage of free Disney transportation, especially if you're already staying on property. Alas, I hear about people "wanting to be in control" and taking a car. They are usually first timers though or they've always done it the wrong way.

Chef Mickey

Walking to the car, riding the tram, waiting for the tram, etc are all factors as well. The car thing just "seems" faster to some because it requires a lot more activity.

Still, I hardly ever have to wait for a bus it seems. 5-10 minutes tops and I'm on almost every time.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Right. The Tram and traffic kill driving.

Plus, I can't think of many good reasons to not take advantage of free Disney transportation, especially if you're already staying on property. Alas, I hear about people "wanting to be in control" and taking a car. They are usually first timers though or they've always done it the wrong way.
I am sure first time driver's getting lost does not help much either.

I am not ashamed to admit that I would up in the middle of nowhere on 192 more than once when I was in my late teens and making my first solo trips to WDW.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom