Repainting of Epcot Central Plaza?

Tom Morrow

Painting the buildings back to white, grey, and silver will only emphasize their 1980's design. Painting them warmer colors was to make them look less outdated in the first place. These new colors look fine to me so far, a much needed change from the pink, earthy tones.

jdmdisney99

The odd twist is that when Communicore had the metal cladding like SSE, painting was never needed.
TDO decided to replace the cladding with stucco and paint it in "more inviting" colors.

Odd how our perspective changes with time.
They should re-clad it with a silver and gold look.
A la...
sse_communicore.jpg

Tom Morrow

Recently some of the neon lighting near Mouse Gear has changed from pink to red. That alone made it look so much more modern and less 90's.

Figments Friend

Yes. The entire EPCOT park-like hub has been replaced the way they have and are now replacing the MK park-lke hub.

The CC/Innoventions buildings should be subdued colours, set in a park-like plaza, with water and fountains and trees. Then their subdued colours and repetitive facades become elegance. On their own, having to carry an otherwise empty plaza, the restraint and repetition of the architecture turns into boring. The plaza is too large, the architecture too restraint. So this then has to be remedied. But each subsequent attempt to remedy that boring look then only adds clutter and tackiness, from those triangles to cutting the Innoventions buildings in half to those swirly things to current (possible?) polychrome paintjobs.

Communicore_Future_World_front.jpg

Beautifully expressed...and dead on correct.

Great photo by the way to hit home the point, of what used to be and how all the original design choices *worked* well together in that area.

Last edited:

articos

Yes. The entire EPCOT parklike hub has been replaced the way they have and are now replacing the MK park-lke hub.

The CC/Innoventions buildings should be subdued colours, set in a park-like plaza, with water and fountains and trees. Then their subdued colours and repetitive facades become elegance. On their own, having to carry an otherwise empty plaza, the restraint and repetition of the architecture turns into boring. The plaza is too large, the architecture too restraint. So this then has to be remedied. But each subsequent attempt to remedy that boring look then only adds clutter and tackiness, from those trianges to cutting the Innoventions buildings in half to those swirly things to current (possible?) polychrome paintjobs.

Sadly, I doubt it will ever look this good again.

MarkTwain

I can dig it. The pink/peach/whatever really needs to go, although I'd prefer they pick a singular color scheme over a mottled approach.

The "FOUNTAIN VIEW" part looks way too Tomorrowland '94. I love Tomorrowland '94, but not in FW.

Agreed. It's as if the Imagineers believe all of Disney's "futuristic" is interchangeable. (Actually they probably do)

Admiral01

Premium Member
Yes. The entire EPCOT parklike hub has been replaced the way they have and are now replacing the MK park-lke hub.

The CC/Innoventions buildings should be subdued colours, set in a park-like plaza, with water and fountains and trees. Then their subdued colours and repetitive facades become elegance. On their own, having to carry an otherwise empty plaza, the restraint and repetition of the architecture turns into boring. The plaza is too large, the architecture too restraint. So this then has to be remedied. But each subsequent attempt to remedy that boring look then only adds clutter and tackiness, from those trianges to cutting the Innoventions buildings in half to those swirly things to current (possible?) polychrome paintjobs.

I remember that. I miss that. It was beautiful.

Great picture.

Figment2005

Looks like I'm the only pixie sniffer that likes the color scheme. Maybe I just like the fresh paint look and the color doesn't seem overpowering.
I tend to agree and I like it as well. The colors are different but still the same shades. They blend together while also standing out.

Goofnut1980

Really with all of the new colors, the neon should just be changed to a white color to compliment all of the colors added.

Better yet! Cut all of the plants down that are blocking those buildings and uplight everything!

Figments Friend

I disagree regarding the removal of more greenery/plants.
What that area needs more of are those very elements, to help visually soften the expansive concrete sprawl.
Too much concrete...not enough variety.
It has a urbanized, somewhat cold and disconnected feeling to it...and has for some time since the 90s refresh.
No number of spinning whirlygigs or bright neon lights can cover that up.
It just adds to the overly-cluttered look instead of actually enhancing anything.

The new paint job gives the impression of also being slightly disjointed.
The different hues take away from the sweeping architecture already present.
Just my opinion of course and others will feel differently.

jdmdisney99

I disagree regarding the removal of more greenery/plants.
What that area needs more of are those very elements, to help visually soften the expansive concrete sprawl.
Too much concrete...not enough variety.
It has a urbanized, somewhat cold and disconnected feeling to it...and has for some time since the 90s refresh.
No number of spinning whirlygigs or bright neon lights can cover that up.
It just adds to the overly-cluttered look instead of actually enhancing anything.

The new paint job gives the impression of also being slightly disjointed.
The different hues take away from the sweeping architecture already present.
Just my opinion of course and others will feel differently.
upload_2014-3-23_12-34-26.jpeg

Oh plaza of yore, how I yearn for thee...
upload_2014-3-23_12-35-13.jpeg

Communicore.jpg

upload_2014-3-23_12-36-30.jpeg

upload_2014-3-23_12-36-45.jpeg

The Empress Lilly

Sadly, I doubt it will ever look this good again.
Yes, I doubt that too.

The EPCOT hub does not need kinetics. That is alien to its design. It was not build for it, it resists it. The result is nervous unrest at best, crossing over into tackiness at worst.

CC/Innoventions Plaza, the center of EPCOT Center, the spiritual heart of the entire Florida resort, is build for Zen, for calm inspiration. Lively and in motion, but tranquil and subdued. A place of simplicity of design - which is the height of elegant good taste, not the absense of it.

FW in many ways felt like a Japanese garden. Very restraint, every plant and rock and water part serving a purpose. Adding to the harmony, from which the beauty was derived.
Wild colours and 'kinetics additions' feel like taking a Japanese rock garden and adding a statue of Ronald McDonald blowing on a vuvuzela to it, to 'liven it up a bit'. It is buffoonery.

Fountain-Of-Nations.jpg

commmain.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom