Rental Strollers

arielfan

Does anyone have a picture of a double stroller from the Magic Kingdom? I've heard conflicting reports on the comfort of these. I really don't want to buy yet another stroller (since they seem to reproduce in my garage!!)--I have a 3yr old and a 1 yr old, so must have a stroller for the trip (and we're flying, too)
Any comments appreciated.
Thanks so much!:)

LoriL

I am going with a 3 1/2 year old and a seven month old and we are taking two single strollers (even though I have a double one). After a great deal of thought and debate, we decided to do this in case we want to split up-- llike when the baby wants to nap and my other son wants to keep going on ITA A SMALL WORLD again! The rental strollers are hard plastic with no padding and they do not recline (they are sort of like jogging strollers). At first, we were taking the double with us, but I do think there may be times when we want to split up and this way we will be able to. We are also flying-- but that part is easy-- you wheel the stroller right up to the plane's door and leave it there and it is waitong for you outside the door at the other end of the trip. We find that having a familiar, comfortable stroller is very important. Both my kids sometimes nap in them, so I want the padding and the recline.

Hope this helps a little!

Upvote 0

arielfan

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the info! These strollers look just like the ones at Sea World in San Antonio--and those were very easy to move around. I think the only thing it needs are towels to keep the plastic from getting too hot, and to prop up the baby if she needs more support.
I am still thinking about a double umbrella stroller, and the single stroller idea is one to ponder, too. :wave:

Upvote 0

Firewolfe51

The rental stroller on disneydudette's thread doesn't look too cozy. Very uncomfortable, in fact. I wouldn't want to ride in that all day. Maybe taking one from home would be better. But, what about on an airplane. Does anyone know if you have to check it or take it on board with you? We are going in Oct. and are having a stroller dilemma as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated by all!!!

Upvote 0

Bagheera

You can, however, gate check the stroller. What does this mean? You roll the stroller to the gate. Tell the airline rep at the counter that you need to gate check a stroller. Usually, they will give you the claim check to put on the stroller yourself right there. Sometimes they'll tag it as you get on the plane. You roll the stroller down the jetway, fold it up right before you get on the plane, and leave it right outside the plane. Someone from the airline will get it and stow it in the hold. Once you arrive at your destination, the stroller will magically appear outside the plane in the jetway for you to open up and roll into the airport. It works wonderfully, and we've done it all over the country. You may want to doublecheck with your airline, but I believe that they all do this. Good luck!

Upvote 0

niteobsrvr

I posted this in another thread a while ago and am copying it here due to the relevance of the subject matter.

Two things to keep in mind that many people aren't aware of related to strollers at Disney.

In the Parks

IF the stroller will not roll on the ground through the stroller gates located between the turnstiles, then technically it is too large for the park. In this case it is at the CM's discretion to assist in lifting the stroller over the gates, or sending you to Stroller rental for one that is appropriately sized to use in the park while yours is stored until the end of the day.

Additionally, Cast members often times find it necessary to move strollers for a variety of reasons, but mostly to keep them from blocking paths in case of emergency. Locking it to an inanimate object, could do more harm than good. If the need arises to move the stroller for safety, and they cannot locate you, I am sure the appropriate staff member will be called to assist in removing it from the object.

Strollers and Bus Transportation

Under no circumstances, are strollers allowed to be open with or without a child in them while on a Disney Bus o any bus for that matter. Also, someone from the party must hold on to the stroller for the entire trip. It cannot sit unattended in a seat or on a ledge as they can become projectiles in a quick stop or accident. These are a violation of Federal Regulations and can get the bus driver in serious trouble.

Also, it is at the drivers discretion, as to whether or not the rear doors will be opened in order to accomodate bringing your stroller on board. As a rule of thumb, plan on the front door and then ask nicely about the rear door if it is a larger stroller only.
Their answer will depend on the situation. If there is a large crowd waiting to board the bus, they may not open the rear door because they quicly lose control of entering and exiting safety.

Upvote 0

RogueHabit

It should be noted that for international travellers, and I would hope domestic as well, that your stroller will need to go through the x-ray machines at the airports.

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Are you sure the strollers are still the hard plastic type? Im sure ive seen at least one park changing to the modern off road type favoured by those deranged nutcases who drag their offspring up mountainsides. (or am i getting confused with USF)

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Last time we were there...spring break 2002 they were still the hard plastic type. I didn't realize how strong they were. We got a double and had 4 kids in it...3, 2@6 and an 8yo.

Upvote 0

LoriL

One more thing to keep in mind, that I don't think was mentioned above: rental strollers can only be used IN THE PARKS. So if you are travelling with a one-year-old, you'll need to bring your own to get around the hotel, or anywhere else you plan on going that is outside of one of the theme parks.

Upvote 0

Chris

We have used strollers at WDW many times. I much prefer using the umbrella strollers over the Disney Rentals. The doubles are great but moving something that large through summer time WDW crowds can be a difficult task. If you do not have room to pack the and take them on the plane, buy them at a discount store once you reach Orlando. The double stroller will cost you $14 per day to rent (that is after you receive a $1 back as a deposit refund). You can get a light weight stroller with canopy and recline feature at Wal-Mart for less than $20 each. Buy two and spend $40. If you go for only three days you will spend $42 on rentals. Not to mention the wasted time standing in the stroller rental and return line. Plus you can use it all over the resort not just in the parks. When you are done, just leave them in your room or give them to a family with kids at your resort.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom