Remembering SpectroMagic........

disney4life2008

thanks @disney4life2008 for the footage. It really is a beautiful parade. I hope they bring it back. Anyone know why it left?

Someone is liable to complain that this question has been asked and entire threads dedicated to it, lol. I will give the short bullet point response :)

1. Spring 2009 - Summer Nightastic is announced for WDW. Among other things, the magical return of Main Street Electrical Parade.
2. Once announced - there was speculation that spectromagic would go on a hiatus for only the summer (3 months); once september came - we heard 6 months - then we heard 2 years. during this 2 year period there were many rumours that it was being refurbed for a grand return in spring 2013.
3. By summer 2013 - it was obvious that MSEP was not going anywhere and there were unconfirmed reports that spectromagic had been left to rot in a warehouse.
4. Sometime last summer/early fall Disney official released a statement that spectromagic indeed would not return. Reports surfaced that the units were demolished and if I recall - pieces of it were either sold on ebay or through pins.

Now we are stuck with MSEP that had no business coming to WDW in the first place and its the fault of Team Disney for allowing spectromagic to die. I do not suspect any new nighttime made in the foreseeable future - after the mess of the initial rollout of MM+ - I think WDW is pretty much done on new entertainment expect for those higher up on the pipeline. Disneyland is next to get love - which to me, seems to not need anything. They are thriving. But thats just my opinion.

seahawk7

Someone is liable to complain that this question has been asked and entire threads dedicated to it, lol. I will give the short bullet point response :)

1. Spring 2009 - Summer Nightastic is announced for WDW. Among other things, the magical return of Main Street Electrical Parade.
2. Once announced - there was speculation that spectromagic would go on a hiatus for only the summer (3 months); once september came - we heard 6 months - then we heard 2 years. during this 2 year period there were many rumours that it was being refurbed for a grand return in spring 2013.
3. By summer 2013 - it was obvious that MSEP was not going anywhere and there were unconfirmed reports that spectromagic had been left to rot in a warehouse.
4. Sometime last summer/early fall Disney official released a statement that spectromagic indeed would not return. Reports surfaced that the units were demolished and if I recall - pieces of it were either sold on ebay or through pins.

Now we are stuck with MSEP that had no business coming to WDW in the first place and its the fault of Team Disney for allowing spectromagic to die. I do not suspect any new nighttime made in the foreseeable future - after the mess of the initial rollout of MM+ - I think WDW is pretty much done on new entertainment expect for those higher up on the pipeline. Disneyland is next to get love - which to me, seems to not need anything. They are thriving. But thats just my opinion.
Thank you for the explanation. I remember Nightastic but I guess I didn't follow closely to see that Spectromagic was gone forever. That is really sad and silly to destroy a parade. I don't think it would have hurt to keep it in storage. But I won't harp on it. Once again, thanks for the info!

disney4life2008

Thank you for the explanation. I remember Nightastic but I guess I didn't follow closely to see that Spectromagic was gone forever. That is really sad and silly to destroy a parade. I don't think it would have hurt to keep it in storage. But I won't harp on it. Once again, thanks for the info!

That is the funny part - when Nightastic came Spectromagic was indeed to return. There was no doubt in my mind (and likely many others) that spectromagic would never return. But after so many years passed - it was obvious. I am stick sick over it to this day. Spectromagic was my number 1 entertainment/attraction offering. I could go to MK every night if I could just for spectromagic. While MSEP is beautiful - the soundtrack is horrid and the ending finale is a joke at best. In present day - I do not care if I see MSEP at all. But life goes on :)

seahawk7

That is the funny part - when Nightastic came Spectromagic was indeed to return. There was no doubt in my mind (and likely many others) that spectromagic would never return. But after so many years passed - it was obvious. I am stick sick over it to this day. Spectromagic was my number 1 entertainment/attraction offering. I could go to MK every night if I could just for spectromagic. While MSEP is beautiful - the soundtrack is horrid and the ending finale is a joke at best. In present day - I do not care if I see MSEP at all. But life goes on :)
Yea this past May I was sitting next to a mother with her little girl. The mom told she couldn't believe they were showing this parade with Puff the Magic Dragon. She thought it was so outdated. I remember standing next to the Native American on main street in DL and just loving the lights of the Electrical parade. But that was the 70's. It's hard to believe such a permanent step backward. But, like you said, life goes on.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

It would have been one thing if they got rid of Spectromagic and said it was going to be gone for good before it actually left but instead they made us wait around for 2 years for this refurbish Spectromagic then totally blow us off saying it was destroyed. I waited 3 years for them to bring it back. It just isn't right seeing the Electrical Parade going down Spectromagics route.

Tom 55

The last time I saw Spectromagic was in 2008. Here are some of the pictures I took back then. The newer technologies that they have are still not equal to what they had back then.

Attachments

• 05-15-2008_171.JPG
    05-15-2008_171.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 05-15-2008_172.JPG
    05-15-2008_172.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 05-15-2008_173.JPG
    05-15-2008_173.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 05-15-2008_194.JPG
    05-15-2008_194.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 05-15-2008_197.JPG
    05-15-2008_197.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 05-15-2008_201.JPG
    05-15-2008_201.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 20

aladdin2007

It would have been one thing if they got rid of Spectromagic and said it was going to be gone for good before it actually left but instead they made us wait around for 2 years for this refurbish Spectromagic then totally blow us off saying it was destroyed. I waited 3 years for them to bring it back. It just isn't right seeing the Electrical Parade going down Spectromagics route.

shows how inept management is and they dont care.

KDiS88

Aww I forgot how much I loved Spectromagic! I listen to the soundtrack all the time but actually watching the tidbits makes me miss it so much!!

doctornick

Yea this past May I was sitting next to a mother with her little girl. The mom told she couldn't believe they were showing this parade with Puff the Magic Dragon. She thought it was so outdated. I remember standing next to the Native American on main street in DL and just loving the lights of the Electrical parade. But that was the 70's. It's hard to believe such a permanent step backward. But, like you said, life goes on.

It's actually Pete's Dragon in the parade, no?

Spike-in-Berlin

We only say Spectromagic once, it was cancelled shortly after our first stay on property trip. But I am very glad that I videotaped the entire parade so we still can enjoy it if we want to because it is brillant and has a wonderful music. First I was glad that the MSEP returned, childhood nostalgia, but either it's because they changed the music slightly or it's something else, I don't enjoy it anymore than I enjoyed my only Spectromagic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom