Remembering Marty Sklar

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
There is really nothing I can add That hasn't already been said about the greatness, genius, and outstanding character of Marty Sklar. I'm thankful that, even though only for a few mins, I had the opportunity to meet him.

His impact will be everlasting and will be sorely missed. To quote The Sandlot, "Heroes get remembered, but legends never die." RIP

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Stunned. Feels like a piece of my Disney soul was lost... :cry:

I was fortunate to see him, I want to say 4 years ago, in NFL, walking and talking to a couple of park execs. Just to see him was awe-inspiring. I was just telling my kids a few weeks ago that he's the only person to have been at the opening of every Disney theme park in the world.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Thank you, Marty, for bringing such wonder, joy and amazement to millions of us.

I admit I've not felt this sad about the loss of a member of that incredible team since that night in December, 1966.

Monorail_Orange

He was truly deserving of "Disney Legend" status. As many on here have mentioned, his influence in the company's projects and especially parks over the years is immeasurable. For me, perhaps the greatest takeaway from Dream It, Do It! was when he talked about how Walt, and later he, would not say "No," but instead would say "Yes, if..." I have nothing but respect for Mr. Sklar and awe for his accomplishments. May he rest in peace.

yensid67

CRYING DUMBO.jpg

Rest in Peace, Marty. You were truly n inspiration to us all So sad by this loss of a Disney Legend!

Figments Friend

Just now heard about Marty's passing, and this is the first spot I went to post some thoughts.
I little bit of a shock as he was JUST at the D23 Expo a couple of weeks ago!
:eek:

First, I'm saddened.
Marty I know from his key role in helping to make the realization that became EPCOT Center actually happen.
So I immediately thought of that time period when I read the news.

Second, I'm smiling through the tears.
I am remembering meeting Marty outside of the Land Pavilion during the fan-initiated 25th Anniversary event for Epcot back in 2007.
He shook my hand, leaned in, and thanked me for kicking WDW Management / Disney in the @** to get going on something to honor the Parks' silver anniversary.
Forever burned into my brain, it was a surreal moment.

The scope of the projects and overall impact this person had within the context of the Disney organization ( both positive and negative ) is unmatched.
Everyone who claims to call themselves a 'Disney Theme Park fan' should be bowing their head in rememberence at this moment.

-

dreamscometrue

This made me very sad. I had the pleasure of meeting Marty at a September 2013 book signing at Downtown Disney (Disney Springs). The thing that really struck me is how he seemed genuinely interested in meeting people, and came across as very sincere when we chatted. I recently watched the D23 panel on Youtube, and was thinking how great he looked and how he remembered so much. I love listening to his stories about Walt and his mentors in WED. He will be missed. :(:cry:

prberk

A true legend and class act. I feel like I lost a friend today. though I never met Marty. I felt like I knew him. Great man who left a great mark on the world. I truly hope his definitive project Epcot will shine again despite my doubts.

I couldn't have said it better. He was one of the remaining folks who seemed to "get it" and yet also know how to demonstrate that same character in a modern business world. He helped bring Walt's ideas to life and to shape them for understanding to a wider or business audience. That's a gift.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom