Remembering Goadie

epcotisbest

Original Poster
The last of our three cats passed away yesterday. She was 18 years old, a stubborn PITA that adopted us. Yeah, she chose us to give her a loving home when she was a tiny furball.
She was never the most social of cats, and was kind of a loner, but she was loyal and could be loving when she wanted attention, but she did not freely hand out affection.
She was a survivor. We have had three cats. Charm, a throw away stray who was my baby, disappeared many years ago. Crissi, Goadie's sister, went missing about 5 years ago, and Goadie survived whatever happened to the other two and was with us until her time was up. She was an outdoor cat who did not like it in the house. We made her come in during the coldest of winter nights, but she would sit at the door and whine wanting out.
When she was little, she would climb up in my lap and then sit on my shoulder, purring in my ear. She got over that as she got older, and she rarely sought out affection, but would come around for attention on her terms.
She was a giver, bringing us mice and moles and birds she constantly caught. We put a cat door in the screened in porch so she could hang out when she wanted too, but the time she brought us a live snake, we took out the cat door.
As she got older and weaker, her behavior changed and she got slow and sluggish. I posted a couple of pics of her on here reading some trip reports on my iPad.
She started rapidly going downhill last week. Yesterday morning she tripped over her water bowl, spilling it then she just laid there in the puddle. She had gotten matted up as she got too weak to groom herself.
I held her and cried as the vet administered the injection that would end her suffering. That is a hard thing to do. Her muscles had already started to fade away, and they had a hard time finding a vein too. They warned me she may seem to take a few gasping breaths at the end, but she just quietly slipped away into a peaceful rest as I held her and sobbed like a baby. The vet tried to assure me it was the best thing for her considering her condition and how rapidly she was fading away. I was not the best thing for us, but that did not matter, as trying to prolong her life and her obvious pain was not best for her, just so we could have a little more time with her. My wife and I had a good cry when she got home, then later yesterday evening I absentmindedly went over and filled Goadie's food bowl and took it out to the carport and actually set it down and started looking for her before it even hit me she was not coming for dinner. Cue more tears.
At the vet's I asked if I could wrap her up and take her to where they hold the bodies before cremation. It was the last thing I could do for her. They got me a towel and helped me wrap her now still body and I carried her to the storage area. It seemed like a silly gesture but something I wanted to do for her, one last thing to thank her for all she gave to us.

Goadie.jpg

Nemo14

((Hug))
Pets are so much much a part of our families, and when we lose one, it leaves a hole in our hearts.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
((Hug))
Pets are so much much a part of our families, and when we lose one, it leaves a hole in our hearts.
Thank you. Yes, there is a big emptiness right now, but the two dogs are trying to help cheer me up. It seems they know something is wrong and are being less active this morning. Maybe that is my imagination, but they seem to act that way when either my wife or I am feeling sick as well. I think maybe they know.

Sans Souci

I am sorry for your loss. Even though it sounds like she wasn't the cuddliest of cats, she still showed her love for you and your wife with her hunting trophies.

I could relate to you going out to feed Goadie even though she is no longer among us. After my mini poodle passed away, for the longest time I automatically "step over" the part on the floor where he would sleep in the summer when I got up in the morning.

93boomer

Premium Member
Ohh I am so sorry for your loss. :cry: We have been through a lot of pets with my DD and SIL this year. My precious kitty is 13 and I get really anxious sometimes knowing she is getting older and we won't have her with us forever. My thoughts and prayers are sent your way. :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So sorry for your loss. Pets are family. Perhaps take some comfort in the fact that you gave Goadie a very good life. Goadie was very lucky to have you and your wife take such attentive, loving care of him. (Also, I can empathize with going through the daily motions of pet care . . . after a pet has passed on. I did that after my previous dog passed away, and I ended up throwing out his dog bowls, etc., because it was too sad to see those around anymore. I donated a few bags of his dog food to a shelter.) It really takes time to get over the loss of a wonderful pet/friend.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
So sorry for your loss. Pets are family. Perhaps take some comfort in the fact that you gave Goadie a very good life. Goadie was very lucky to have you and your wife take such attentive, loving care of him. (Also, I can empathize with going through the daily motions of pet care . . . after a pet has passed on. I did that after my previous dog passed away, and I ended up throwing out his dog bowls, etc., because it was too sad to see those around anymore. I donated a few bags of his dog food to a shelter.) It really takes time to get over the loss of a wonderful pet/friend.

Thank you for the kind words. I liked your idea and took the rest of her just opened bag of food and another unopened one up to our little local animal shelter. That did not seem like enough so I stopped by wally world and bought five more big bags to donate in Goadie's memory. The people at the shelter were grateful and they invited me to go into the cat room and pick out one to take home with me, but I could not bring myself to even see all the sad, homeless creatures just wanting to be loved. Did not go back in the back because I know I am not ready for another cat. I could hear the dogs barking and the cats meowing, begging for a loving home and felt sad and a bit guilty that I was not willing to at least consider another right now. We talked about it last night, and we may not get another. Just hurts too much when they are gone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom