Remembering and Rebuilding Horizons

DarkMeasures

If you do manage to build the interior, you should make a ride video with it. I don't think I have ever ridden Horizons, and if I have, then I was only a couple years old.

Tocpe

Original Poster
Hi DarkMeasures!
I've been toying with the idea of rebuilding the inside of Horizons for sometime. I have one other project that I need to finish before I start on the interior version of Horizons though. :)

Because of the nature of Horizons ride itself, I'm concerned that a pre-rendered animation may not be able to do it justice. :( So over the last couple of months I've been looking into ways of making the re-creation a bit more interactive. I hate to use the term because it's so overused/misused, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to make the experience more "virtual". In the original ride a lot of the scenes blended into each other. This blending makes it difficult to capture the ride faithfully with a simple camera even a camera in a 3D animation can't capture it well. :)

While this blending makes for difficult taping of the ride, it made for a very enveloping, engaging, and engrossing experience. It's probably why so many of us have such fond memories of Horizons. :) (Like yours truly) :)

As far as ride video goes, there's a couple of them floating around the net. You might wanna check out the Digital Media & Photos forum for some folks that have digitized their old footage of the ride. Just remember that there was a LOT to see while on this attraction and that it was difficult to capture it all. :)

Tocpe

Original Poster
Well, after quite a delay I've begun working on the project again. Last year was crazy and I wasn't able to spend too much time on it. And until here recently I was pretty busy too. I've recently upgraded to Softimage's XSI 4.2 so my new renders will look really, really nice.

I just wanted to let you guys know to keep an eye on this thread cause in the next couple of days I'll have some new renders to post. I just have a little bit of tweaking to finish before I can post the updated model.

WDW Kip

Just wanted to bump this thread because I think it's so great what you're doing. Horizons is my all-time favorite attraction, and your recreation is spot on so far. Keep up the good work.

What plans do you have for rendering the interior of the attraction?

Tocpe

Original Poster
Thanks! When I finish up the exterior (hopefully pretty soon, still doing a little geometry clean up) I'm going to start on the interior. I'm not sure how much detail I'm going to go into at this point. So your guess is as good as mine. :)

onevision4

Hey, do you all know where I could get pictures of the Horizons building, and possibly of the ride. See, it was my favorite ride as a child, and before I could go on it one more time to get pictures of it, it closed down, and to this day, it's still my favorite ride, next to the alien attack ride that is no longer in use. Well, anyways, if you could help me find pics of them, that would just make my day.

Tocpe

Original Poster
onevision4 said:
Hey, do you all know where I could get pictures of the Horizons building, and possibly of the ride. See, it was my favorite ride as a child, and before I could go on it one more time to get pictures of it, it closed down, and to this day, it's still my favorite ride, next to the alien attack ride that is no longer in use. Well, anyways, if you could help me find pics of them, that would just make my day.

The best source I've found, and one I've used *a lot* during this project is Planet7's Photo CD:

http://planet7.home.mindspring.com/photocd/

It's got a lot of Horizons photos, even some close up and detail photos. Plus it has a whole bunch of photos of WDW as well.

this is absolutely amazing. I love it. You do a great job and I can't wait to see more from you.

Did you ever consider making your own rides with this?
it would be cool to see someone design a ride and we get to see the inside and outside complete!!!

Tocpe

Original Poster
Laufschneller65 said:
Did you ever consider making your own rides with this?
it would be cool to see someone design a ride and we get to see the inside and outside complete!!!

Do you mean a new, non-existing ride?

jmani56

Very cool man. I'm just starting to learn 3d animation so i know how much work must have went into that. What program are you using? I'm learning Maya right now. If you have any more Epcot related work I'd love to see it posted.

Thanks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom