Refurbishments at same time!!! - CUSTOMERS AFFECTED

You agree with all refurbishments at the same time

• Total voters

NelleBelle

Can we give the op a little bit of a break. Perhaps we have all become a little jaded in our thinking. I imagine many here have been to Disney World on multiple occasions in the last five years. When you travel there often refurbs do not effect you as much. If you didn't see it this year then no big deal you will catch it next year. But if you are not lucky enough to go every year and you have been saving x number of years for your once in a lifetime or once in a blue moon trip than I can see why someone would be depressed by the idea that BTMRR won't be open or why they can't get on Pirates, or IASW. While opening new attractions are nice, people when they go to Disney want to see the classics and show their kids what it was like when they were a kid. So while a one time visitor may like the new Frozen attraction they may be really disappointed that IASW or BTMRR is not open.

I think that we all would be a fair bit more understanding if the OP were merely expressing disappointment in there being some attractions closed for rehab. There are many posts supporting this view and I support it as well--I haven't been to WDW in over 6 years but know that not everything we want to see is guaranteed to be operating (scheduled or otherwise) and have always had an enjoyable time regardless. The ire comes from the OP's call for all those affected to ban together and "pressure management" because "it's not normal" to have rides down for refurbishment. One attraction per park (even headliners) is not "a lot" and even if all were in the same park, what does the OP suggest a successful method of "pressuring" management to be so that his/her vacation isn't affected? That's the laughable bit. :rolleyes:

Jeff456

Unfortunately refurbs have to happen or the rides would be in a poor state (some already are, by disney standards anyway) it's a shame when its during the time of your trip but is just part and parcel of visiting a 365 day a year theme park. I have never had a trip where I have not been disappointed by something being closed but it has to be done.

Ginzuishou

Last time I went to the Magic Kingdom, Splash Mountain was being refurbished. I hadn't ridden it in over ten years. I was disappointed, but there is almost ALWAYS one or more rides being refurbished.

I think that we all would be a fair bit more understanding if the OP were merely expressing disappointment in there being some attractions closed for rehab. There are many posts supporting this view and I support it as well--I haven't been to WDW in over 6 years but know that not everything we want to see is guaranteed to be operating (scheduled or otherwise) and have always had an enjoyable time regardless. The ire comes from the OP's call for all those affected to ban together and "pressure management" because "it's not normal" to have rides down for refurbishment. One attraction per park (even headliners) is not "a lot" and even if all were in the same park, what does the OP suggest a successful method of "pressuring" management to be so that his/her vacation isn't affected? That's the laughable bit. :rolleyes:
I agree it is not likely that 1) he would find much support when it comes to "pressuring management" whether it be by petition or other means and 2) whatever he does likely won't accomplish anything. However, I do not see the reason to call it laughable for trying. People set up change.org petitions or gofundme drives at the drop of a hat these days and a lot of those petitions are for much more minute issues than he has raised in his post. If he wants to waste his time trying let him what's the big deal?

But even more than that if you look at the number of the responses only a few are picking on him for that reason while the vast majority are picking on him because he is complaining about refurbs at that time he is going. That amazes me because if you go on a number of threads here the vast majority support his position (though not necessarily me) that Disney has fallen behind. We all understand it's normal for attractions to be down, refurbs are good and on average one refurb per park is not bad. At the same time you essentially have half a park closed at DHS, Pandora is still a year away, Rivers of Light is opening as Rivers of Light Lite and then you add in the refurbs it can get frustrating when you are paying hard earned money. I for one am ok with all the improvements Disney is trying to make and the refurbs but lets not in one thread pick on Disney for losing market share to Universal and in another pick on somebody who is expressing frustration for the exact same reasons

Goofyernmost

I agree it is not likely that 1) he would find much support when it comes to "pressuring management" whether it be by petition or other means and 2) whatever he does likely won't accomplish anything. However, I do not see the reason to call it laughable for trying. People set up change.org petitions or gofundme drives at the drop of a hat these days and a lot of those petitions are for much more minute issues than he has raised in his post. If he wants to waste his time trying let him what's the big deal?
There are reasonable requests and there are laughable requests. It is no more valid to say something like that then to petition to have the sun come up in the west or that gravity stop making us so heavy. There is a valid and highly logical reason that refurbs happen and to say things like "it not natural" or "it shouldn't be happening while I'm there", is indeed laughable.

As stated before, all of us have been disappointed at one time or the other, but, it is a necessary part of maintaining an entertainment venue like WDW. Just like painting your house or replacing the brakes on your car is necessary for it to remain usable.

There are reasonable requests and there are laughable requests. It is no more valid to say something like that then to petition to have the sun come up in the west or that gravity stop making us so heavy. There is a valid and highly logical reason that refurbs happen and to say things like "it not natural" or "it shouldn't be happening while I'm there", is indeed laughable.

As stated before, all of us have been disappointed at one time or the other, but, it is a necessary part of maintaining an entertainment venue like WDW. Just like painting your house or replacing the brakes on your car is necessary for it to remain usable.
Laughable is subjective. What does it bother you if he wants to try? You know there is a 99.9% chance it won't succeed so why waste the breath being angry at the idea.

On refurbs, I have agreed all along they are a necessary evil. That doesn't mean you don't have a right to be frustrated. Just like if your brakes need replacement at the same time you car may need other work you might get frustrated. All I am saying is the vitriol being aimed at the op is unwarranted.

danyoung56

I remember the olden days, growing up in SoCal. We had no way of finding out what was closed when, so on a Disneyland day we'd run up to the ticket booths to see what was "Not Operating Today". It would be totally devastating if something like Pirates or the Haunted Mansion was closed. Nowadays you have the internet and posted refurb schedules. We may not like it still (BTMRR will be refurbing during my next visit in September!), but at least we now have time to get used to the idea.

Goofyernmost

Laughable is subjective. What does it bother you if he wants to try? You know there is a 99.9% chance it won't succeed so why waste the breath being angry at the idea.

On refurbs, I have agreed all along they are a necessary evil. That doesn't mean you don't have a right to be frustrated. Just like if your brakes need replacement at the same time you car may need other work you might get frustrated. All I am saying is the vitriol being aimed at the op is unwarranted.
Isn't it worthwhile to try and prevent a more significant embarrassment to an individual. I don't really care if they try or not, as you say, how does it harm me. However, that doesn't stop someone for finding the humor in watching a train wreck. We have enough wasted energy flying about lately, we don't need one more person on a waste of time mission clogging up the works. But, as you say, go for it, but, before you do try and make an effort to see why it is a completely non-justifiable petition with no basis in how things work. I doubt many would sign on anyway, but, why bother, just try to understand why it is the way it is.

glvsav37

sad reality is that the OP is being irrational, but despite all of us telling him otherwise, he will be the guy who calls Guest Services, huffs and puffs, claims he knows the mayor, is going straight to the top, canceling his vacation and never coming back, yada yada....and then the CM will throw him a few extra fast passes or comp a few nights to make him happy and get him off the phone.

I know many people like this who live to complain about anything and everything then walk around al proud chested that they got some 'free stuff' IMO, I can't live like that, and am embarrassed when I hear some of the stories, but in the end I'm the sucker b/c I go with the flow while they are blowing past me in the FP line.

DManRightHere

Agreed, the number of attractions down for refurbishment is minimal.

Think about it this way, since those visiting during this time will likely experience much more tolerable crowds and wait times, is the tradeoff worth having one or possibly two big attractions down in a park? I think it is worth it, and I'd hope my next visit it is not the same attraction down for refurb.

Maybe not worth it if guests have no intention of returning to WDW in the foreseeable future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom