Refrigerators being temporarily removed from all rooms

princessmommy

Not happy about this at all we are already booked and completly paid off for 11/21-11/29 at Wilderness Lodge. I have a diabetic Dad and another family member that has medication that must be refrigerated. Taking a cooler is not possible as we are flying and keeping it at the front desk really is not an option since one of the medications is every four hours I really don't want to have to get up get dressed in the middle of the night to go downstairs to use my medicine.
they said up to 4 months, so it should be complete by your trip. Hope so for you!

copcarguyp71

Uh, folks not that big a deal. Inconvenient yes.

Improvise, Overcome, Adapt. Back in the old days it was called a cooler with ice in it. Nowadays people freak over the smallest thing and have no clue what to do. Guess what, those expensive rooms never had fridges back in the day, neither did regular rooms. Our POP room did not have a fridge, I had a small thermos with ice in it for insulin.

Given the premium that we all pay for a resort stay within the world I would have to argue that it is a big deal.

If they want to offer a reduced room rate, upgrade, merchandise credit or even coolers in the room with ice delivery daily I have no problem whatsoever but value for the dollar has to be there otherwise I truly feel it is an issue if it was promised at the time of booking. It is not a courtesy that they offer but rather a poignant and pivotal amenity that many people count on. We use the DDP but those not on the DDP or trying to keep costs down by keeping food in the room are going to get hosed on this. I am sure they have been aware for some time of the failings of these things by virtue of guest complaints alone and they should have had an entire warehouse filled with fridges ready to go for the swap out.

If a Disney vacation was like camping or spending a week at the shore I would be happy to "improvise, overcome or adapt" but in fact many of us save all year (or several) to be able to afford our families this wonderful opportunity and if some people are miffed by this I think it is their right to be less than thrilled.

Tigger1988

Given the premium that we all pay for a resort stay within the world I would have to argue that it is a big deal.

If they want to offer a reduced room rate, upgrade, merchandise credit or even coolers in the room with ice delivery daily I have no problem whatsoever but value for the dollar has to be there otherwise I truly feel it is an issue if it was promised at the time of booking. It is not a courtesy that they offer but rather a poignant and pivotal amenity that many people count on. We use the DDP but those not on the DDP or trying to keep costs down by keeping food in the room are going to get hosed on this. I am sure they have been aware for some time of the failings of these things by virtue of guest complaints alone and they should have had an entire warehouse filled with fridges ready to go for the swap out.

If a Disney vacation was like camping or spending a week at the shore I would be happy to "improvise, overcome or adapt" but in fact many of us save all year (or several) to be able to afford our families this wonderful opportunity and if some people are miffed by this I think it is their right to be less than thrilled.
It's cute that you think people on DDP aren't getting hosed.

There's ice down the hall, like there always has been. You want Disney to dedicate CMs to ice delivery?

copcarguyp71

I do not remember saying they were not...just different levels of getting hosed. Thanks for your sarcasm though. and while there may be ice down the hall what should we put it in. Sorry...your argument is invalid.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not happy about this at all we are already booked and completly paid off for 11/21-11/29 at Wilderness Lodge. I have a diabetic Dad and another family member that has medication that must be refrigerated. Taking a cooler is not possible as we are flying and keeping it at the front desk really is not an option since one of the medications is every four hours I really don't want to have to get up get dressed in the middle of the night to go downstairs to use my medicine.

Just have them note that on the reservation and you will have a fridge.

copcarguyp71

Well ice bucket is fine for bringing ice back to the room but where to put perishable food items, sodas, water and leftover snacks/sandwiches that your kid did not finish from the resort eatery is more the issue. Other than filling the sink with ice I am not sure what else you would be able to do.

G00fyDad

If you note on your reservations that you need one for medical reasons then they will get you a fridge.

nepalostparks

Original Poster
If you note on your reservations that you need one for medical reasons then they will get you a fridge.

Disney is saying that medical requests will be given first priority, but are not guaranteed.

Since that person is travelling at the end of November, it is more likely they will have enough units to at least cover medical needs by that point. But in the meantime, it's important to note it's not guaranteed.

G00fyDad

Disney is saying that medical requests will be given first priority, but are not guaranteed.

Since that person is travelling at the end of November, it is more likely they will have enough units to at least cover medical needs by that point. But in the meantime, it's important to note it's not guaranteed.

I always thought that it was guaranteed. Thanks for the info. :)

mpoppins217

Just thought I would let everyone know that my family is leaving for a trip this Sunday and when I read about this we called and the woman said there were still fridges available and she would mark it on our reservation but that, of course, there are no guarantees. We're used to using a cooler in the past so we'll roll with the punches and it's no big deal for us but thought we would give it a shot anyways. So those desiring one, or especially who need it for medical issues, I would call and have it noted on your reservation.

JIMINYCR

We are planning to call in advance to arrange for one in our room for medical need. My wife has medicine that needs refrigeration. Not too happy that they added... Not guaranteed to their notice.

mickeysbrother

Best thing to do! Take all your garbage bins out of your room fill them with ice and dump In shower! Voila in room fridge!!! Just make sure to use hot water to melt the ice before u step in

Victor Kelly

I find it hilarious that this one thing can ruin a families trip to WDW. And it is the same give me compensation crowd as always screaming about some kind of perceived injustice perpetrated by Disney.

You are not spending top dollar to have a fridge, I don't care where you stay unless it is an efficiency room aka. full kitchen. You are paying top dollar to be on property which is close to the action. You are paying top dollar for unlimited use of transportation. You are paying top dollar for EMH and prime pick of dinning reservations. And you are paying top dollar to not pay parking fees. Why you may ask then are the prices so high? Because those costs are factored into the price of the rooms. How close you are to a park and the ease of getting there plays the biggest role in room pricing. Not a little fridge that does not get anything close to cold enough to be safely stored.

People, and many many many of them have gotten to used to being pampered and babied, and spoiled rotten. It is called a cooler and ice machine. The cooler you have to buy and they can be gotten for $4.99. Ice is free at the resort. You cannot make me believe that the loss of a mini fridge is oh so going to ruin the kiddies vacation. What ruins it is the attitudes of the adults that are around them. Get off the high horse demanding restitution and stating that everything will be ruined.

Fact: Children will emulate the behaviour and attitudes of the adults that surround them. If you want the vacation to be one in a lifetime, settle down, put on the big boy and girl pants, suck it up, be happy, and let the kids enjoy everything. That is what you are spending thousands of dollars for in the first place right?

rael ramone

I'm going to just make one last comment, then I'll disembark from this conversation.

This is primarily for those who see this as what this is: Disney buying mass quanities of an inferior product (which isn't an *extra* since it is pretty much industry standard to have them at that price point) to save money, then taking their sweet time to replace them with more cheap stuff, and then hope everyone then just accepts it.

You don't have to accept this with the price that you are paying if this is not worth it for you. The money in your wallet is yours, not Mickey's. Of course, the possibility exists that means you might have to cancel your reservation and stay somewhere outside that's half the price in order to have a basic 21st century hotel amenity. Or perhaps they'll look at the lower occupancy and park attendance numbers and decide to try to keep you as a customer by offering a per night discount to account for it (perhaps enough to say, cover the cost of buying one yourself online and having it delivered there :) - you can even just leave it down there with them to 'call it even').

Yes, everyone that's not in the 'it's never been better' camp that still partakes of TDO's offerings is settling for what we believe to be a lesser experience (whether it's relatively lesser or much, much lesser), all for regular price increases that far, far, outrun both the rate of inflation and the spending dollar of the average tourist. Why? Because we still see something there that is worth it. Yet there are aspects we may see aren't worth it, and we vote with our dollars by not partaking in those. (and some here have reached the point that even that WDW as a whole isn't worth it, and either just use their DVC as a base to do exclusively off property attractions, or have stopped going completely).

If 'no fridge' is unacceptable to you, you don't have to 'live with it' because others are willing to 'rough it' at an expensive resort. And the obligation to make sure those who have a medical need for cooling get it falls *exclusively* on Disney (not those who are simply asking for their money's worth). If someone with that need arrives and there aren't any in stock, they should either be given a free upgrade to an unoccupied DVC unit with a full fridge or they should :eek: have a CM take a trip to Lowes, HD, or Walmart and pick one up with the hotel's petty cash account. Assuming the average 7 night stay is about $1600, and if it's 2 parents, 1 over 10yr old, and 1 under 10 and they get 5 day pass with no park hopper or 'no expiration' but w/ options, add another $1450, $300 a day ($2100) for food, perhaps $300 for souvenirs, and perhaps a 'bibbidy' makeover. Perhaps I'm off on some of my estimations, but for a $5500-$6000 that's paid *just to the mouse*, for the billion dollar Dow company rolling in all that cash to turn around and not pick up a $150 cube fridge (that won't just be for that family, but others that come after them) is offensive.

For those who think this temporary deletion of a benefit is still worth the price paid, you're entitled to your opinion. I know there are things there that I still think are worth the cost that others don't. With that, I disembark...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm going to just make one last comment, then I'll disembark from this conversation.

This is primarily for those who see this as what this is: Disney buying mass quanities of an inferior product (which isn't an *extra* since it is pretty much industry standard to have them at that price point) to save money, then taking their sweet time to replace them with more cheap stuff, and then hope everyone then just accepts it.

How do you know that this is Disney buying a cheap inferior product? For all we know Disney paid for a decent fridge and got sold 20,000 lemons. I do not know where you are getting "sweet time" from. When was the last time you ordered 20,000 fridges and had them delivered and installed in less than a couple months?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
According to Touringplans, there are currently 30405 on-site resort rooms. That's a lot of mini-fridges!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom