Refrigerators being temporarily removed from all rooms

nepalostparks

Original Poster
Sooo silly question: I have a trip to Pop for Labor Day Weekend. Should I have been informed of something? lol Just wanna be prepared haha

Not clear if they will be contacting future reservations or not at this point. Which is why I created the thread for anyone here to have the heads up. According to Disney, they were notifying guests with a letter in the room at this point.

Nemo14

ApplianceDirect.jpg

Dwarful

Paper cups + Ice = Cold drinks in your room.

This is true...I'd just rather not walk to my room, then have to walk to the ice maker (and hope it has ice -last year the ice maker on our floor never worked - sign on it the whole week we were there) when we are coming back at 2 AM from late night at the parks. I'd keep a cooler w/ice in the room but this is our first stay at POR and I'm not sure how much space we will have. We are going to be there two full weeks and it would just be easier to have the fridge. Not sayin' it will ruin our trip...just a little bump in the road.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Unless you have a medical reason, why is the absence of a refrigerator a deal breaker? Buy a $10.00 cooler at Wal-Mart and fill it up with ice from the ice machine at the resort.
Hmm..I'm seeing a major money making opportunity. I'm going to buy up all the cheap styrofoam coolers get some disney stickers at walmart presto! 10 dollar Disney cooler! Look for me on Buena Vista Drive!

Polydweller

Disney definately pulled a bait and switch.
Bait and switch is defined as fraud. So where is the fraud? There would only be fraud if the knew they were going to not have fridges and mislead people. This clearly is not the case. This is clearly a sudden development involving safety. They have informed TAs and people currently staying there. They are offering limited number of fridges on a first come first save basis. The word is getting around and you can bet your house they will inform everybody as their arrival approaches if it becomes clear the issue won't be resolved in their resort by that time. When you are informed you will likely be allowed to cancel or defer you trip if it affects you that much. That's standard industry practice, we do that in our hotels when operational problems occur.

Absolutely no bait and switch. Prior to whatever has caused this issue with the fridges that had every reasonable belief that they could provide that. It was not a come on like bait and switch implies. The issue is simply an operational problem not a knowing attempt to mislead people. Let's not use phrases that imply criminal behavior when that isn't remotely true.

nepalostparks

Original Poster
seriously though, am I the only one that thinks that 4 months is a loooong time.
I'm not trying to diminish the scale of this undertaking, but this is Disney.
I can't imagine that they couldn't knock something like this out in a month tops.

Ahhhh..maybe I am diminishing the scope of this I don't know.

It's a huge number of appliances to need all of a sudden. Keep in mind this not only affects all standard rooms at Disney World, but also Disneyland and Aulani. That's a huge number of mini-fridges to all of a sudden need. And I'm sure they need to be a particular size, etc. I doubt any manufacturer has exactly what's needed in the quantities needed just laying around in trailers ready to be hauled into Orlando.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Bait and switch is defined as fraud. So where is the fraud? There would only be fraud if the knew they were going to not have fridges and mislead people. This clearly is not the case. This is clearly a sudden development involving safety. They have informed TAs and people currently staying there. They are offering limited number of fridges on a first come first save basis. The word is getting around and you can bet your house they will inform everybody as their arrival approaches if it becomes clear the issue won't be resolved in their resort by that time. When you are informed you will likely be allowed to cancel or defer you trip if it affects you that much. That's standard industry practice, we do that in our hotels when operational problems occur.

Absolutely no bait and switch. Prior to whatever has caused this issue with the fridges that had every reasonable belief that they could provide that. It was not a come on like bait and switch implies. The issue is simply an operational problem not a knowing attempt to mislead people. Let's not use phrases that imply criminal behavior when that isn't remotely true.

if you read the entire post (instead of focusing on one term I used admittedly incorrectly, but socially acceptably...you'll see I hold no fault to Disney for this unforeseen situation.

I am quite sure they didn't plan a "fridge swap" resort wide (and at DLC as well) after just installing them in the values what...a year and a half or so ago?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It's a huge number of appliances to need all of a sudden. Keep in mind this not only affects all standard rooms at Disney World, but also Disneyland and Aulani. That's a huge number of mini-fridges to all of a sudden need. And I'm sure they need to be a particular size, etc. I doubt any manufacturer has exactly what's needed in the quantities needed just laying around in trailers ready to be hauled into Orlando.

China.

Rob562

How are the DVC studio mini fridges different than the mini fridges in the standard rooms? I'm just curious, since this is the only place I've seen someone confirm that the DVC studios will not be affected by this problem, and I just wanted to confirm. We're staying in a DVC studio at the Grand Californian at Disneyland next week, so whether we have a fridge or not, just curious as to what to expect. Thanks! :)

I believe Studio fridges are the tall dorm fridges, which is probably what are in the suites and other places that aren't affected. These are built into the counters that they're under (or at least the counters are designed specifically for them)

The problem seems to be the "cube" size dorm fridges that were placed in rooms inside a cabinet that may or may not have been designed for such a purpose.

-Rob

Neph-Neph

Forget back in the day... fridges being added to all the value resorts is a recent addition at Disney! zOMG.. we can't survive like we did just 2 years ago! :)

When I was on my trip in April last year they knocked on our door at 9am to install our fridge mid trip! Not even 2 years ago!

sweetpee_1993

seriously though, am I the only one that thinks that 4 months is a loooong time.
I'm not trying to diminish the scale of this undertaking, but this is Disney.
I can't imagine that they couldn't knock something like this out in a month tops.

Ahhhh..maybe I am diminishing the scope of this I don't know.

I was thinking 4 months was rather like *flash* movement for them considering how long they take to do anything else nowadays....

ninjaprincesst

Not happy about this at all we are already booked and completly paid off for 11/21-11/29 at Wilderness Lodge. I have a diabetic Dad and another family member that has medication that must be refrigerated. Taking a cooler is not possible as we are flying and keeping it at the front desk really is not an option since one of the medications is every four hours I really don't want to have to get up get dressed in the middle of the night to go downstairs to use my medicine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom