Refrigerators being temporarily removed from all rooms

lostpro9het

well this really stinks. We are arriving in a 11 days for a two week stay. With late night park hours and food court/drink stations closed at midnight we were counting on the fridge in our room for drinks in our room at POR.
Plan your back up now:
coleman-54-quart-steel-belted-cooler.jpg
+
images

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Probably not related, but on our last trip our fridge never really got cold enough for my tastes, even after I dialed it down all the way. This was at WL. I'm surprised the things can work at all though, seeing as they are in cramped cabinets with no ventilation that I can see.

I doubt it is unrelated. I have yet to have one work well on a number of trips. I actually considered trying to yank one of of the cabinet to see if I could fine a thermostat to adjust.

devoy1701

I am sure they would rather pay the power bills then deal with the guests who will demand free premium APs for life, a 7 day DCL cruise in the Roy Disney suite and a 1000 point DVC contract because the lack of a mini-fridge ruined their once in a lifetime trip.

hey... when in Rome...

MaxsDad

I do not know why they are being pulled, but I am relieved they are. They were a hazard to the guest that used them.

How many times have you checked in to find the fridge in your room was either off or the temp was so warm it might as well have been? For me, it was every time. I understand the need to defrost, and I want to be a good steward of resources, planet and money, as well. But if you are going to go the route of having mousekeeping cut them down, you better have a unit that can crank it back up in a hurry. These units simply did not do that. Everyone I have had took the better part of 24 hours before they could cool down something as conductive as a metal can. Standard safe food handling practices dictate that food products that require refridgeration should not be held above 41 degrees F for more than four hours. These units could not do that they way they were being operated. I hope any new units will.

jenluvswdw

Does this include Villas? People except to cook and load up on food. We will be staying in a 2 bedroom at BLT in August. We have to have a fridge. My son is type 1 diabetic and must keep his insulin in a fridge. This stinks.

nepalostparks

Original Poster
Does this include Villas? People except to cook and load up on food. We will be staying in a 2 bedroom at BLT in August. We have to have a fridge. My son is type 1 diabetic and must keep his insulin in a fridge. This stinks.

Please see earlier posts - the fridges at DVC properties are not affected.

DisneyJoe

Villas have full size fridges, it's only the mini-fridges that are affected, per earlier post.

rael ramone

Just got off the phone with central reservations.

Initial response was 'refrigerators are standard at that resort'.

After mentioning that I heard that they all got pulled resortwide, then the individual said a coworker just got a call from someone else asking the same thing.... so the indivudual talked with the supervisor...

When the person came back, I got read the deal (wording not exact with what was above, but it seemed close), and offered to put on my reservation my request for one. Asked if it was for medical, and I mentioned the amount that I'm paying and said 'I want one'. (And had them put 'real lagoon view' on it as well).

For the amount that they are charging for the room, a fridge should be in there. There is nothing MAGICal about waking up to a warm chocolate milk that is sitting in melted ice.

Call up. Be polite, professional, but *firm*. If you have your reservation in front of you, you'll know how much the room costs. You're not a jerk for insisting on a basic amenity that every room in that price point within 100 miles of the place offers.

(funny. there's a Lowe's ad under this on my screen).

jaklgreen

Things break, that is life. But were in the world do they need to order new ones from that it is going to take that long to install new ones? There are no companies that sell mine fridges that has a stock of them (or even 1/2 the amount needed) that they can not get within a few days? Just wondering

MaxsDad

Things break, that is life. But were in the world do they need to order new ones from that it is going to take that long to install new ones? There are no companies that sell mine fridges that has a stock of them (or even 1/2 the amount needed) that they can not get within a few days? Just wondering
Especially this time of year when the production of dorm room size fridges should be at its peak!

Victor Kelly

Uh, folks not that big a deal. Inconvenient yes.

Improvise, Overcome, Adapt. Back in the old days it was called a cooler with ice in it. Nowadays people freak over the smallest thing and have no clue what to do. Guess what, those expensive rooms never had fridges back in the day, neither did regular rooms. Our POP room did not have a fridge, I had a small thermos with ice in it for insulin.

sweetpee_1993

Probably not related, but on our last trip our fridge never really got cold enough for my tastes, even after I dialed it down all the way. This was at WL. I'm surprised the things can work at all though, seeing as they are in cramped cabinets with no ventilation that I can see.

FYI for everyone who has experienced the warm fridge syndrome: the problem is not the fridge. It's the fridge in an enclosed cabinet. Refridgerators need air circulation to work efficiently. I can appreciate wanting to have a nice aesthetic by puting the appliances in a cabinet, especially when there's a cabinet door hiding it. But the air can't circulate and the fridge won't work well. We always used to keep the door to the cabinet open to allow better circulation. This usually resulted in a much cooler fridge. Mouse keeping will always close the door and oftentimes the fridge cabinet being in a narrow walkway makes keeping the door open aggravating. Just gotta stick with it. Maybe bring a sign to post on the cabinet for mouse keeping to leave that door open. I promise you, tho, this simple thing makes a huge difference particularly for the refridgerators that are in cabinets with doors. Remember: air circulation!

DisneyJoe

I am sure that part of the issue is disturbing guests during the swap out, as well as the quantity involved, plus labor.

There are about 20,000 rooms being affected.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Ever order 20,000 mini fridges before? You can't just go to the local Target and pull that off. If they went to every store in central Florida that sold them I would be surprised if they could find 1000.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Most Disney stuff comes from overseas where manufacturing is cheap. Once products are delivered to ship, it genrally takes 2-4 weeks for delivery. Tack on order and manufacturing time....it will be a while if they can't be repaired.

Off sight and before we had my DD we did buy a cooler when we got down there and changed the ice out every morning. Those ice machines are going to get a workout once again and bound to be empty early in the day and late at night. Disney no longer needed as many ice machines or high capacity ice makers because of the in room fridges. Wash those ice buckets daily!

My son is type 1 diabetic and must keep his insulin in a fridge. This stinks.

My guess is that as they start receiving replacements, they'll be available first to medical needs, then to guests who complain, then to all rooms as they get enough.

This should save TDO a lot of $$$ in electricity bills in the next 4 months.
[/QUOTE]

Once we had my second child, Disney always gave us a free one for her special order formula and meds. At that time it was a $10-15 fee for renting one without a medical need.

Of course. It sounds to me like there's a safety issue, and that has to trump everything else. Heck, it's even part of Disney's mantra.

My guess is that as they start receiving replacements, they'll be available first to medical needs, then to guests who complain, then to all rooms as they get enough.

This should save TDO a lot of $$$ in electricity bills in the next 4 months.

Yep safety but think of how many people will be dumping Garden Grocer orders or cancelling them. For all those guests that eat breakfast in room, Disney will be selling more QS breakfasts or breakfast supplies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom