News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

tecowdw

Just goes to show that the whole thing was just a political stunt. Now that the political steam has ran out on this issue, it actually operates like it is suppose to. A good sign that maybe CFTOD and Disney can live amicably after all. And I'm sure they definitely will once the remnants of Desantis and his original board cronies are all long gone and forgotten. It was always a given that Disney would be around long after those political individuals' "15 seconds of fame" ended.

I wonder if Garcia, the vocal Disney critic, leaving the board was part of a back room deal to get Disney to drop their lawsuits and renegotiate the RCID development agreement. Maybe that's also how an experienced new administrator got put in place as well. I can't imagine Disney just relinquished all of it's lawsuits/agreements without ensuring they had something valuable in return since they are +80% of the district's tax base in land ownership. They just aren't that stupid! ;)

At the end of the day, while Disney lost control of their municipality, it's in everyone's best interest to work together for the common goal of bringing tourist dollars in to the maximum potential. Central Florida could be a very different place had Disney not been able to expand their operations for 51 years with RCID.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
why did they give in to a compromise.
It's not a compromise.

Disney doesn't actually care about the free speech argument. Disney has quietly restarted political contributions (the true reason behind all of this) and now maintains control over their land with a board that will be friendlier while reserving the right to restart the federal appeal if an unfriendly board re-emerges. At the same time DeSantis can claim he won, and his supporters will not question it.

All Disney wanted was control and to stop the damage to their image.

lazyboy97o

It's not a compromise.

Disney doesn't actually care about the free speech argument. Disney has quietly restarted political contributions (the true reason behind all of this) and now maintains control over their land with a board that will be friendlier while reserving the right to restart the federal appeal if an unfriendly board re-emerges. At the same time DeSantis can claim he won, and his supporters will not question it.

All Disney wanted was control and to stop the damage to their image.
They don’t have control. They are hedging for the near future that they might be targets on a wider scale.

lazyboy97o

This means the 2032 Zoning Plan is not in force, correct? They now have to come up with a plan that the new board approves of, right?
The 2020 plan is back as the guide to the zoning. No word still on what the Board thinks needs to be changed. No actual start on that process but the development agreement was somehow supposed to come first and then, in contradiction to its purpose, be changed after a new plan was developed.

UNCgolf

THe TLDR is…. We don’t know…. But clearly Disney and DeSantis’ camp do.

We just have to wait to see what they agreed to

I think the biggest problem for Disney is what happens with a new governor who isn't beholden to any agreements DeSantis made. Right now there's nothing stopping a new governor from reverting back to an obstructionist board or any other thing they feel like doing on a whim.

Last edited:

pdude81

I think the biggest problem for Disney is what happens with a new governor who isn't beholden to any agreements DeSantis made. Right now there's nothing stopping a new governor from reverting back to an obstruction board or any other thing they feel like doing on a whim.
Other than it not being popular at all with the voters in Florida or nationwide. I don't see an upside to the next governor going after the mouse, but I could be missing something.

UNCgolf

Other than it not being popular at all with the voters in Florida or nationwide. I don't see an upside to the next governor going after the mouse, but I could be missing something.

Just because it's not popular now doesn't mean it won't be popular in the future -- also, depending on the governor, they may not care if it's popular overall as long as it's popular enough to their base.

That's a pretty big risk to take for Disney.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think the biggest problem for Disney is what happens with a new governor who isn't beholden to any agreements DeSantis made. Right now there's nothing stopping a new governor from reverting back to an obstructionist board or any other thing they feel like doing on a whim.

“Right now…”

Yes, we all know this. But again, we don’t know what back room deal they have setup. Who knows… it could even include new legislation promises…

Or Disney is just rolling with the hand they are dealt… maybe they have accepted that the time to sunset their advantages of rcid is here… none of us can tell what their true intentions are right now.

UNCgolf

“Right now…”

Yes, we all know this. But again, we don’t know what back room deal they have setup. Who knows… it could even include new legislation promises…

Or Disney is just rolling with the hand they are dealt… maybe they have accepted that the time to sunset their advantages of rcid is here… none of us can tell what their true intentions are right now.

That seems wildly optimistic.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That seems wildly optimistic.
Again… we know nothing except both sides have shown signs of positive attitude and certainty of successful outcomes. What does that mean? None if us know. All we can speculate is… they know a lot more than they have said publicly… and obvious things like "desantis is not perpetual…" were clearly obvious to them when they made these choices.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom