Red Car Trolley Construction

sponono88

An update on the trolley tracks, they're installing the brickwork that I mentioned earlier in the thread! Just goes to show the level of detail they're adding.. it looks really good and will do a lot to improve the aesthetics of the area.

4449223769_0aee606e51_o.jpg

TP2000

Wow. That brick looks totally different. It's going to completely change the feel and vibe on that street. :sohappy:

For those unfamiliar with the street in DCA's Hollywood section, it was basic modern blacktop with one row of yellow lines painted down the middle. Cheap and easy, and totally devoid of character or theme or zip. It looked like the parking lot surface of a brand new supermarket in the suburbs. Blah.

The buildings and sidewalks were nicely done, but clearly the blacktop surface was a quick way to help meet Pressler's budget goals in 1999-2000 when this was under construction.

hollywood_backlot_dca.jpg

sponono88

^ I agree, and this is a very good sign of what's to come in Buena Vista Street.

Although to be fair, the street as it looked before actually fit the theme.. remember they were going for a current version of Hollywood - the simple layout and look of the street stayed true to the theme. With the land now converting to Hollywood Land (classic '30s Hollywood) they have kick it up a notch when it comes to detail and themeing. The brickwork is just the beginning :D

TP2000

Although to be fair, the street as it looked before actually fit the theme.. remember they were going for a current version of Hollywood - the simple layout and look of the street stayed true to the theme.

Ah, yes, the old "hip and edgy" and "reality park" buzzwords that Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harriss used constantly in 2001 to try and excuse everything. :D

Do you think they'll invite Paul Pressler to the big Carsland opening ceremony in 2012 so he can see what they had to do to fix the park he shepherded to opening during his 1994-2002 tenure in charge of it?

Somehow I don't think Pressler will be on the invite list for that one. :lol:

But keep the pictures coming. This Red Car Trolley project is one of the lesser items in the list of big E Tickets and spectaculars coming to DCA, but it's one of those things that is going to most radically alter the visitor experience at the park. Along with Buena Vista Street, this is what will dramatically change the look and perception and opening/closing acts of DCA for people. It's going to be a huge difference, and all for an aesthetic and theme purpose rather than just adding more ride capacity.

sponono88

Ah, yes, the old "hip and edgy" and "reality park" buzzwords that Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harriss used constantly in 2001 to try and excuse everything. :D

Do you think they'll invite Paul Pressler to the big Carsland opening ceremony in 2012 so he can see what they had to do to fix the park he shepherded to opening during his 1994-2002 tenure in charge of it?

Somehow I don't think Pressler will be on the invite list for that one. :lol:

But keep the pictures coming. This Red Car Trolley project is one of the lesser items in the list of big E Tickets and spectaculars coming to DCA, but it's one of those things that is going to most radically alter the visitor experience at the park. Along with Buena Vista Street, this is what will dramatically change the look and perception and opening/closing acts of DCA for people. It's going to be a huge difference, and all for an aesthetic and theme purpose rather than just adding more ride capacity.

I wonder if Presser has set foot inside a Disney park since he left the company :lol:

and you're right, TLM, WoC, and Cars Land will get people people inside the park.. but it's the smaller details that make all the difference.

Today's Dateline Disneyland update has additional pictures of the construction in HPB:

4449998784_fae5094f53_o.jpg

4449999242_38e8acbb3b_o.jpg

construction in the ToT courtyard

4449998612_0efb49b3d6_o.jpg

JLW11Hi

It seems like they are really moving fast getting this track laid down. Any reason for the 2012 opening?

Are they getting the track laid down as fast as possible so they can open the street up again, and working on the red car stations/vehicles separately for the next two years?

Or are they waiting for Buena Vista Street to be completed before they open the trolleys?

sponono88

It seems like they are really moving fast getting this track laid down. Any reason for the 2012 opening?

Are they getting the track laid down as fast as possible so they can open the street up again, and working on the red car stations/vehicles separately for the next two years?

Or are they waiting for Buena Vista Street to be completed before they open the trolleys?

Both! They are working fast in order to get the walls down asap -- the walls cover the entire street! And the trolleys won't operate open until 2012 because that is when Buena Vista Street will be completed. So even though the track will be installed in Hollywood, they will wait until BVS is set and ready to go.

TP2000

This is only about a third of the trolley route under construction in the pics. The first leg from the main entrance and up and around Carthay Circle Theater hasn't begun, and they'll need it all to be finished before they start running trolleys on the route. The main entrance/Carthay Circle segment is going to require a lot more work, as that will be total demolition and building from scratch rather than just adding tracks and new theme to an existing street.

Carthay Circle location as it exists today, BEFORE the trolleys are built...
20080812+02+Sunshine+Plaza.jpg

Carthay Circle location in Summer, 2012, AFTER the trolleys are built...
disneycalifadvconcept.jpg

There's still a lot of work to do. :D

sponono88

Goodbye Sunshine Plaza..

A few more pictures of concept art. This model in particular shows the brick that is being added to the tracks

3257202190_50d78b6a50_o.jpg

The trolleys running through Hollywood Pictures Backlot, soon to be Hollywood Land, brick isn't shown here

10_08_WDI_9006.JPG

JLW11Hi

Both! They are working fast in order to get the walls down asap -- the walls cover the entire street! And the trolleys won't operate open until 2012 because that is when Buena Vista Street will be completed. So even though the track will be installed in Hollywood, they will wait until BVS is set and ready to go.

Ah, thanks.

This is so cool! I can't wait to ride in an actual red car down a 1930's Hollywood! Why oh why didn't they plan for that at MGM?

Are they changing the "sky" backdrop at the end of Hollywood Boulevard where the Hyperion theater is? I ask because that piece of concept art makes it look like a big building facade vs the big, flat sky wall.

sponono88

Ah, thanks.

This is so cool! I can't wait to ride in an actual red car down a 1930's Hollywood! Why oh why didn't they plan for that at MGM?

Are they changing the "sky" backdrop at the end of Hollywood Boulevard where the Hyperion theater is? I ask because that piece of concept art makes it look like a big building facade vs the big, flat sky wall.

Yes, there are plans to redesign the sky backdrop and create a new exterior for the Hyperion. This would also include a new lobby for the theatre :) In one of the Blue Sky Cellar videos, you can even catch a small glimpse of the model that shows the new exterior..

however we still don't know when this is happening -- it's rumored to be part of the Phase 2 expansion.

JLW11Hi

Yes, there are plans to redesign the sky backdrop and create a new exterior for the Hyperion. This would also include a new lobby for the theatre :) In one of the Blue Sky Cellar videos, you can even catch a small glimpse of the model that shows the new exterior..

however we still don't know when this is happening -- it's rumored to be part of the Phase 2 expansion.

That would be way better than the set up they have now. Walk through the little door at the end of the street to lead you...where??...the back of the building...Pretty lame. A nice lobby would be a sweet addition to the theater.

I also think it would be great to see them change the look of the theater building facade itself. I sort of get what they were going for with the "sky" backdrop. It makes for a fun photo opp, but overall the flat, painted backdrop looks kind of cheap.

sponono88

That would be way better than the set up they have now. Walk through the little door at the end of the street to lead you...where??...the back of the building...Pretty lame. A nice lobby would be a sweet addition to the theater.

I also think it would be great to see them change the look of the theater building facade itself. I sort of get what they were going for with the "sky" backdrop. It makes for a fun photo opp, but overall the flat, painted backdrop looks kind of cheap.

I agree, but again keep in mind they were going for a studios backlot theme.. so you have half-buildings, exposed stairways, the sky backdrop, and such. A full lobby would be a great addition and, as far as I know, that is still planned for the theater.

As for the Red Car Trolleys - Bob Weiss said at a press conference that WDI was excited about finally bringing them to reality. He said they had designed the attraction a long time ago but it never came to be. When the opportunity came up w/ the DCA expansion, they were happy to bring the concept back to life :) And it fits in perfectly, it will really enhance the Los Angeles and Hollywood areas in DCA.

nemofinder22

Original Poster
An update on the trolley tracks, they're installing the brickwork that I mentioned earlier in the thread! Just goes to show the level of detail they're adding.. it looks really good and will do a lot to improve the aesthetics of the area.

4449223769_0aee606e51_o.jpg

It looks so pretty, I love the look of the bricks. Makes me wish DL got the brick paved Main Street like DLP and HKDL but I guess you only get the street of the sidewalks with brick, guess both would be over kill. I do like DL brick paved sidewalks.

sponono88

^ looks really nice. they're working pretty fast here.. which is good, because i'm not a very big fan of the narrow walkways the walls create. when you add in the spring break crowds = traffic nightmare! can't wait to see that whole area opened up again :)

sponono88

I found this at the Blue Sky Disney blog and thought it was interesting. It gives a preview of what Buena Vista street will be like once it opens, including a few of the actual store names and other attractions the new entrance will feature. At the time when this was written (2007) the name for the entrance was Walt Disney Plaza - it hadn't been changed to BVS just yet. Still a fun read though :)

In this part, we'll just start at the entrance...

It's a lovely, warm summer day in Anaheim and we're just passing through Downtown Disney. As we come across the Esplanade we look over and see the new entrance to Disney's Second Gate. The architecture in front of the turnstiles reminds us of the Pan-Pacific Amphitheater. We approach the gates and notice all the lovely foliage and plant life around the entrance... already we sense a difference from the park we remember. As the cast member takes our ticket we push through the turnstiles and see the new Partners statue in front of the pole that is flying the California flag. We walk over and stare at the statue. It's a lovely homage to the original Partners statue across the Esplanade. Walt, looking young and wild-eyes as he stares out at Southern California and the opportunity it holds for him, all the while hanging on to his dear friend, Mickey. After a moment we hear a noise and come out of our dreamstate.

Turning we see a Pacific Electric Red Cars pull to a stop on our right. As it's passengers get off we stare ahead at the rest of the entrance. It's almost as if we've walked back into the late 20's or early 30's Los Angeles. We stare at the Spanish architecture that was so prevalent at that time and move on down the entryway with the rest of the crowd. As we walk towards the new Carthay Circle Theater, we notice the new stores along the way.

Not all of them are new, but their facades are much different and they've been re-branded with new names. We smile as we admire the vintage Oswald’s Gas & Oil station on our left. A clear homage to Walt's forgotten creation and a bygone era. Mortimer Market is on your right. Nice... the theming is top notch. Over to our right is Carolwood Trains, Craft & Hobby, the new train station that sells Disney merchandise... this store has far more theming and atmosphere than the pop culture concoction that was here before.

I look directly across from where I stand and see Seward’s Five & Dime, a charming representation of an early Southern Californian shopping store. Right then I notice Horace’s Pawn Shop and walk in to take in all the trinkets and baubles that are available in the re-branded park. Nice merchandise, I say... cool new logo. Maybe I'll pick up a new shirt before I head out of the park. Coming up to Walt Disney Plaza, I can't help but wonder if I've passed into the past looking at that classic theater staring across from me as I peer over the fountain, past all the foliage and trees. Could "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" be showing? An old car putters by. A bell rings, startled, I watch the Red Car head back down the tracks, rounding the circle in the plaza, it heads into the Hollywood area. As it passes I notice the Elias & Co. Department Store with its big glass windows. I smile at this nod to Walt's father.

Maybe I'll takes some pictures? Unfortunately, in my hurry down here I left my digital camera at home on the coffee table. I look around and see Kingswell Camera and decide to go and purchase a disposable camera so I can take some pictures. As I exit I look around at what I want to shoot first. The theater? No, that's too obvious... maybe the Duesenberg limo that is passing by? Nah, I'll wait till I ride in it later today and shoot photos from it. Whoa! How about that nice looking place over there, Doc Sherwood Apothecary. I start snapping shots off trying to take it all in, I look at the camera and realize I'd better take it easy... I've used up half my roll of film and I'm not even out of the entry plaza yet. Wow. I'm gonna have to buy more film... this could get expensive!

I'm getting kind of hungry so I head over to Clarabelle’s Corner Café for a little bite. Along the way I pass Julius & Sons Tailors and notice a snazzy new jacket. Maybe I should stop and... no. I must eat first. We've got way too much to see before I start spending money. There's so much to see and I haven't even gotten down to the Pier yet. Wait a minute, my stomach is growling.

Now, about that sandwich...

nemofinder22

Original Poster
Seems to be a good week to be DCA as walls are being moved around. Looks like Hollywood Blvd will be losing its walls but Sunset Blvd.(in front of Hyperion) will gain walls, as will the area near the Tower Fastpass/

http://www.mouseplanet.com/9220/Disneyland_Resort_Update
Bug's Land connector & Tower of Terror Fastpass – The temporary connector path between A Bug's Land and the Tower of Terror area closes April 19 through August 15 to allow construction of a more permanent route between the two lands, and to facilitate construction of the Red Car Barn. During this time, Fastpass will not be offered for the Tower of Terror, and the construction walls that currently fill the center of Hollywood Blvd. will be relocated Tuesday night to Sunset Blvd. outside the Hyperion Theater.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom