Recommend new places based on my previous enjoyment (Table Service)

disneyworlddad

Original Poster
So here are some of the places I really enjoyed eating and why. Based on these give me your recommendations on other places to try and why you think I might enjoy them. Order from most enjoyment to least, but I still liked them all.

Ohana - loved it for the relaxed atmosphere, family style service and the FOOD! Entertainment was also a plus!

Tusker House - Ate breakfast here and loved that we were in the park before opening, great new flavors for me and the standby for my young son. Wife enjoyed both. Character dining was nice also even if my son (almost 2 then) freaked out a little when they came by.

The Turf Club - loved it because it seemed to be a hidden gem. Not busy at all, really top notch service and GREAT STEAKS!

Beirgarten - loved it mostly for the entertainment and themeing.

Give me your best!

belledream

Kona Café is like Ohana, with (to me) slightly more upscale food, but with that same relaxing atmosphere (even moreso actually since Ohana can get hectic!)

Garden Grill is also All You Care to Enjoy, with characters and rotating around Living with the land. Very fun. (You seem to like dining experiences which I'm all for!)

Coral Reef is a great place to dine for kids and adults sitting right next to the tanks of The Seas.

Boma is like Tusker House, but on steroids at dinner, with so many unique and scrumptious flavors.

San Angel Inn is a quiet, dark, and beautiful place to eat as well.

nickys

Premium Member
Hoop de Doo for the family style service and entertainment, plus all you can drink beer, wine or sangria (?). And the strawberry shortcake is to die for.

Yachtsman Steakhouse because it has great steaks!

JIMINYCR

BOG... wonderfully themed throughout but the West Wing is my favorite room to dine. Dinner is best meal.
Yak & Yeti ... great food, large portions, great service, enjoy upper level seating.
La Hacienda de San Angel.... excellent menu items, great desserts, fast service, dining area not loud and crowded.

DisneyJill

2nd for yachtsman steakhouse. one of my favorite meals at wdw ever. if you liked the style of meal at ohana, you might also enjoy whispering canyon cafe at the wilderness lodge.

disneydaughter96

I agree with the Hoop De Doo, it's a great family style barbecue with pitchers of beer. The entertainment is corny but so fun and very interactive with the crowd!

Flying Fish has really good steaks and a nice atmosphere, and you can always enjoy the entertainment and atmosphere of the boardwalk after your meal.

correcaminos

Sanaa - great food, great service, great view
Spice Road Table - amazingly good food, wonderful service
Skipper Canteen - funny as all get out, great food
Captain's Grille - nice get away from Epcot, great food for not a lot of money
Olivia's - amazing service, quality food for great price
Grand Floridian Café - really good food, nice location
The Plaza - Quality food for not a lot of money, ice cream can be ordered from next door

yedliW

Boma (AKL), lots of African themed dishes, but plenty of options for the less adventurous eaters. Great for dinner or breakfast. (although getting there for breakfast can be tricky if you aren't staying there and don't have a car)

Trail's End (Fort Wilderness Lodge) good old American comfort food, and plenty of it.. ribs.. fried chicken.. mashed potatoes.. fish.. chili.. etc.. and deserts including soft serve ice cream. Drinks are served in mason jars. It's a nice boat ride from MK, and a short walk from the dock.

Liberty Tree Tavern (MK), Thanksgiving dinner, every day! It's served Family Style. I haven't been there since the renovation and menu update, but it now includes the ooie-gooie toffee cake for desert that was previously only available at lunch. (we'll be eating there in September).

sophie_the_pooh

Have you tried Crystal Palace at MK? It's my favorite character meal, the food is always great, Pooh, Tigger, Piglet and Eeyore come to your table and the kids get to dance with them around the restaurant (I think they do that every hour or so).
We also love Coral Reef at Epcot, we only had great experiences there, the mahi-mahi is excellent, and we are always amazed by the view of the fish tanks during dinner! Last time we got to sit directly by the tanks, we were so happy, we spent the whole dinner watching the fishes, sharks, turtles, etc., passing by!:happy:

disneyworlddad

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. My DW and I were talking about this some last night and she said her only must is Ohana and Beasts castle (forgot to mention we had lunch there, it was ok for me but she loves it because she loves the movie, we will do lunch again). I'm thinking Hoop De Doo on our non park day for supper. Now I just have to choose a character meal. Probably breakfast. We loved being in animal kingdom early and the food at tusker was great! Crystal Palace peaks my interest but that is another sit down meal inside MK. Any good character breakfasts in EPCOT?

Roknrollrghostr

For character breakfasts in Epcot, you've got Garden Grill or Akershus. I have not eaten at Garden Grill but have heard good things. I believe it's served family style and you get things like Mickey Waffles and sticky buns. The food looks delicious! Characters there are classics like Chip & Dale. Akershus is a princess meal. I've eaten there and enjoyed it, but I probably wouldn't go back without kids.

There's also the Bon Voyage breakfast at Trattoria al Forno at the Boardwalk, which is fairly close to Epcot. Food picture I've seen look incredible and characters are Rapunzel, Flynn Rider, Ariel and Eric, so pretty unique characters for a meal.

Whatever you choose, I hope you guys have a great time!

yedliW

For character breakfasts in Epcot, you've got Garden Grill or Akershus. I have not eaten at Garden Grill but have heard good things. I believe it's served family style and you get things like Mickey Waffles and sticky buns. The food looks delicious! Characters there are classics like Chip & Dale. Akershus is a princess meal. I've eaten there and enjoyed it, but I probably wouldn't go back without kids.

We've done breakfast at Garden Grill, and really enjoyed it. The cinnamon rolls were great! It is the standard breakfast fare.. eggs.. potatoes.. fruit.. mickey waffles.. there were supposed to be some salsas and chutneys too.. but we didn't get them, and I forgot about them until we got back, so I didn't ask for it.. It is another place to get POG juice, and we got our server to leave a pitcher of it, because we all love it. Chip and Dale are always fun, and Farmer Mickey is cool to. I like seeing him in different outfits than usual.

We'll be doing Akershus (Norway) breakfast in September and I can report on that then.

'Ohana is Character for breakfast. It is also a lot of fun. Mickey, Pluto, Lilo and Stitch make their rounds. The menu is similar to Garden Grill.

carriebeth

We haven't had breakfast at Crystal Palace in a couple years, but I think it might have been my favorite sit down breakfast of all time. The characters were super fun when we were there. At one point my oldest son was sitting alone at the table as everyone was up at the buffet and piglet sat with him, patting him and comforting him until everyone came back because he didn't want him to be lonely. My son was 16 and the whole trip very "I'm way too cool for characters" but even he got a chuckle out of it. The food was really good and they had some menu items that are pretty exclusive to this place.

Boma is good if you like Tusker. Similar foods and choices. Its real quick to hop on a bus from Animal Kingdom and get to Boma. You can eat and be back in the park in no time.

Whenever we are doing Soarin at rope drop we drool over the wonderful smelling breakfast at Garden Grill in Epcot. And when I see the Cinnamon rolls I can barely contain myself and not reach over and grab some! We have not done breakfast there yet though. Did dinner and the food was great but our service was lacking. Also, I didn't realize it but there are two rows of seating there and only the outer edge can see the living with the land ride as you rotate. I have one child who loves living with the land. He was all pumped about being able to see the ride as we ate but since we were inner row we saw nothing and it was disappointing. Had we gone into it knowing that was a possibility it wouldn't have been a big deal . But you know how when you have something in your mind about how things are going to be and they are not...it feels like a disappointment. Still I would not hesitiate to go back here. Just haven't had the chance as there are so many places to choose from

We really enjoyed 50's Primetime in HOllywood last year. Every member of our family loved it (that's not easy to achieve since I have 8 kids). It was actually listed as everyones "we have to go back there when we go this year" choice. The food was really really good. I think we tried, with so many people, just about everything on the menu and nothing was dissappointing. Some people have told me they don't want to eat there as when they are eating out they want food choices that are not the type stuff you get everyday at home and prefer steak and lobster type choices over pot roast and fried chicken but it was delicious and despite being homestyle foods, it still tasted special. It can be a fun experience, too, as they treat you like family members trying to make you eat your vegtables, calling you things like "sparky", scolding you for not asking permission to go to the restroom etc.

Another unique experience is at Sci Fi dine in in Hollywood. You eat in the dark in old style cars turned into tables. Its dark and you watch unique movie or commerical type clips on a screen like you are actually at a drive in movie. The food was pretty good but, at least when we were there a couple years ago, more along the lines of sandwiches and not a lot of other "meal" type choices. We did it at lunch time which was nice for that type food. Its a place kids can really enjoy as they have never really had an experience of eating quite like that. Also, on a hot day something about the cool a/c and darkness reallly felt like a break from the busy, hot day!

The_Jobu

Boma for breakfast is now a must-do for me.

I also have a sentimental attachment to Le Cellier, but it can get pricey.

LadyBirdV

I've done both Garden Grill & Akershus character meals at Epcot - if you want princesses, then obviously the later is the way to go. Overall I preferred Garden Grill though. I liked sitting in the private booth revolving through the Land Ride and having the characters just show up at your table without really seeing them interact with other people because of the circle design. The interactions were really good too. Definitely request a booth on the lower level.
I would try Whispering Canyon Cafe at WL and 50's prime time Cafe at HS based on your list of what you liked. Sci Fi Drive-in at HS is fun too.
My favorite on-property restaurant is Jiko at AKL (amazing food), but for a better "experience" I'd go with Sanaa because of the animal view - food is very good too, if you like Indian.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom