Recognizing landmarks from the air...

draybook

Original Poster
How easy is it during the day to spot WDW from a plane when coming from the west? I've already looked at our flight's routing and it looks as though we'll turn south and then back north for the landing. Last September it was dark when we arrived so it wasn't easy to pick out anything, although we did see the fireworks at Universal Studios.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I have been easily able to spot Spaceship Earth, Everest, the Contemporary and Swan & Dolphin from the air because their shapes are so recognizable. Not sure which direction the plane was traveling. You also have to be seated on the correct side of the plane; I was in a window seat on the left side facing the front.

MKCP 1985

As Tuvalu said, Epcot is usually the easiest to spot first. From there, it is not too difficult to find the major icons of size which include Tower of Terror, Space Mountain and Everest. I have pictures somewhere, taken out the window of a 737 approaching MCO.

JasonDeyoung

As said most are very easy to locate if you're in the correct side of the plane and flight path. I know when I fly in from Detroit and Atlanta we always fly over or near downtown Orlando and Disney in the distance

draybook

Original Poster
Well, this is the flight route so it should be on the right hand side. Hope I can find them!

flight_zpse4310346.png

dizneycraig

As an airline pilot, I have flown in here a hundred times. Whenever I have a flight that crosses through Florida, I always try to spot the world. When a plane is on an arrival into KMCO, it is given a specific charted route to fly. Many of the routes are named after Disney characters. Still my favorite place to land. I always used to joke with my passengers on the jet bridge during boarding. As I would pass them walking down, I would always say that I had a fast pass.

dizneycraig

Dave,

Weather for tomorrow has strong winds from the west, northwest. Your time of arrival has winds from 290 degrees. My guess is a landing on one of the north runways. From Memphis, you should arrive from the west arrival corridor. WDW is still pretty far west of the airport. Good luck spotting it.

draybook

Original Poster
Dave,

Weather for tomorrow has strong winds from the west, northwest. Your time of arrival has winds from 290 degrees. My guess is a landing on one of the north runways. From Memphis, you should arrive from the west arrival corridor. WDW is still pretty far west of the airport. Good luck spotting it.

We're not arriving until February 9th, but I do appreciate your insight into this. It's pretty cool to hear the details from a pilot.

Jahona

These are from the right side of an American MD80 departing south from MCO to DFW.

EPCOT, Hollywood Studios, Several Resorts and a water park are clearly visible.
DWTACAJ.jpg

A Bit harder to see but Magic Kingdom is Middle Top. Space Mountain is visible and so is the Contemporary.
On the bottom you have Animal Kingdom and Animal Kingdom Lodge.
hmAtjFx.jpg

dizneycraig

Winds for Orlando tomorrow should be light out of the south. I imagine you will be landing to the south. Your arrival should bring you into the west complex. My guess with a south landing is that you will either start the arrival over Valdosta, Georgia, or Ocala, Florida. It may be a little hard to see WDW on arrival. I know one thing for sure. Your view will be incredible once you walk through the gates. Have a great time!

daisyduckie

These are from the right side of an American MD80 departing south from MCO to DFW.

EPCOT, Hollywood Studios, Several Resorts and a water park are clearly visible.
DWTACAJ.jpg

A Bit harder to see but Magic Kingdom is Middle Top. Space Mountain is visible and so is the Contemporary.
On the bottom you have Animal Kingdom and Animal Kingdom Lodge.

hmAtjFx.jpg

Do you have any way to label what you are seeing? Unfortunately it is not that clear to me what is what.

Disneymom201

This is one part of vacation that I always get so excited about. Spaceship Earth & Swan/Dolphin are what I usually recognize first, then can go from there. I'm not too sure what direction we come in from, but I always book seats on the left side of the plane & usually have luck seeing them flying in. Due to flight cost this year we are landing until 10:35pm, so not exactly sure of what we will see.

dizneycraig

I like flying over Orlando at night. I have caught Illuminations and Wishes more than a couple of times. You might be early on your arrival and catch some fireworks!

draybook

Original Poster
I like flying over Orlando at night. I have caught Illuminations and Wishes more than a couple of times. You might be early on your arrival and catch some fireworks!

On our flight in back in September we caught the little fireworks show at Universal Studios. That was pretty cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom